ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   '07 2.5 Spec D with HIDs..Adjustment (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/868168-07-2-5-spec-d-with-hids-adjustment.html)

aviator 14 January 2011 04:12 PM

'07 2.5 Spec D with HIDs..Adjustment

I have an 07 Spec D with HIDs
The HIDs seem to be about right for adjustment, but the main beam (Halogens) are "low" on the Nearside
The carrier and reflector for main beam seems to be a separate section of the cluster, and moves a bit when you assalut the bulb carrier, but I can't find any way to adjust them
There IS a small nylon "thingy" sticking out of the back of the unit, and an 8mm spanner sort of fits on it (I think it has more than 6 sides), but turning it (if I am, indeed, turning it), seems to have no effect.
I can't believe even Subaru manufacture things so exactly that there is no need for adjustment, and I undertand that the Brussels Bureaucrats won't allow HIDs unless they are "self levelling" soi I'm not expecting to find adjusters for these.
The lights on my previos "Classic" were poor, and I added Cibie Driving lamps, but these are much betre. Just a shame they are aimed about 30 yds ahead of the car!!

Mark C

alcazar 14 January 2011 04:55 PM

I'd be inclined to ask a dealer for advice.

HIDs ARE adjustable, so that they can be set level to start with, then they find that level every time they are used. THAT will probably be dealer set.

But the main beams might be self-adjustable.
Ask a friendly dealer.

Tomwrx 14 January 2011 10:31 PM

the HIDs in my07 wrx are self levelling and theres no way to adjust them,

M@RKB 15 January 2011 08:38 AM

Hi Mark, I've recently had trouble with the HID's sitting to low on my 07 WRX. It turned out that the self-leveling sensors on the suspension had become seized, some wd40 and 10mm spanner soon sorted it. Do a search on here, there was a usefull thread with pic's a few weeks ago.

weatherman 14 February 2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by M@RKB (Post 9821835)
Hi Mark, I've recently had trouble with the HID's sitting to low on my 07 WRX. It turned out that the self-leveling sensors on the suspension had become seized, some wd40 and 10mm spanner soon sorted it. Do a search on here, there was a usefull thread with pic's a few weeks ago.

Had a good old search for that thread but can't find it. I now have the dashboard light on and after a period of intermittent working the HIDS have settled on the default safe low setting. M@RKB, don't suppose you could point me in the right direction?

Thanks

S

FX02 17 February 2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by weatherman (Post 9881790)
Had a good old search for that thread but can't find it. I now have the dashboard light on and after a period of intermittent working the HIDS have settled on the default safe low setting. M@RKB, don't suppose you could point me in the right direction?

Thanks

S

Possibly this thread https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...m-leveler.html

M@RKB 17 February 2011 06:05 PM

Thats the one, well done FX02.

FX02 17 February 2011 06:36 PM

I need to check that mine are working properly too.

weatherman 19 February 2011 07:44 AM

Thanks for that. I was obviously foiled by the thread not being in the lighting section, not mentioning HID and spelling leveller as leveler!

Not entirely sure what I am looking at on the pics, looks like the car needs to be raised to access, and with my limited tech knowledge I would probably end up detaching some bit of suspension instead....

aviator 08 March 2011 11:04 PM

Just as a quick follow up..

Finally got round to this!!

Pulled some of the crap out from behind the light units and noticed a small white plastic doobrey just inboard of the HID unit.
managed to get my trusty 8mm ratchet ring on it and "hey presto" it's an adjuster!!
Moves the High beam Bulb holder but not the HID Dip
Job done!!

Thanks for your suggestions, all..

Mark C