ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   fmic to tmic? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/859924-fmic-to-tmic.html)

si-thee 14 November 2010 07:52 PM

fmic to tmic?

would i lose or gain anything by taking my fmic off and putting a decent tmic on car?

car is running at 420bhp i was lead to believe that over 400bhp you need a fmic??

cheers:thumb:

360ste 14 November 2010 07:55 PM

Think the flow limits from a TMIC are around 400 bhp. Look for posts about going from TMIC to FMIC.

joz8968 14 November 2010 07:58 PM

It would be a backward step as far as future modding is concerned. Also, the FMIC is safer for the motor - ACTs are way down, compared to a TMIC.

Don't swap it (seeing as it's already in place).

prodriverules 14 November 2010 08:01 PM

As a very well known engine builder told me when asking 'what change the interwarmer,i should think so' lol
Stick with the fmic mate:thumb:

si-thee 14 November 2010 08:09 PM

cheers

joz8968 14 November 2010 08:09 PM

Hey, PDR, got the Z32 back - cheers. :thumb:

BTW, my car's now at API having those mods done... inc. a FMIC (just to keep my comment on topic! ;) lol)

pooeater 14 November 2010 08:44 PM

youl see your spool go though the roof, andy forrest uses a deep core on hes track car pushing 420 bhp

prodriverules 14 November 2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9712544)
Hey, PDR, got the Z32 back - cheers. :thumb:

BTW, my car's now at API having those mods done... inc. a FMIC (just to keep my comment on topic! ;) lol)

How do John how's you,glad it got to you alright mate.
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out you'll have to let me know what the out come is and of course having the FMIC is a good idea;):D

The Pink Ninja 14 November 2010 08:58 PM

I know of a couple of cars that are running 420-430bhp on the standard sti top mount, v7 jdm sti & 07 spec c, but why change as there isn`t any really massive gain to be had by swapping apart from spooling up a little bit quicker if your lucky depending on your set up, Personally i`d leave it as it is if it were mine.

harvey 15 November 2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by pooeater (Post 9712660)
youl see your spool go though the roof

Do you have any evidence of this this or indeed any first hand experience???

pooeater 16 November 2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9714310)
Do you have any evidence of this this or indeed any first hand experience???

shorter pipes,smaller intercooler less time to fill with air, just mine feels alittle laggy on the vf35 with a fmic if some one got a printout (vf35&top mount) il postmine and can take alook :Suspiciou, what your experience harvey?

Tidgy 16 November 2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by pooeater (Post 9715450)
shorter pipes,smaller intercooler less time to fill with air, just mine feels alittle laggy on the vf35 with a fmic if some one got a printout (vf35&top mount) il postmine and can take alook :Suspiciou, what your experience harvey?

lag is so little comparing a front/top mount you'll never feel any difference at all. Feelable lag issues are setup issue, not front mount issues.

harvey 16 November 2010 01:33 PM

My experience and that of many others is that on an efficient FMIC such as Hybrid and proper mapping there is no appreciable increase in lag and the power increase, just from a TMIC to FMIC swap and mapping is very noticable on the ar5e dyno and supported by back to back testing.
This lag on a front mount is very much overdone. Sometimes it is people without direct back to back experience regurgitating the opinion of others. The cause of poor response, if it exists, usually lies elsewhere starting with a crap kit, some other change including DV and tubular headers or lack of mapping.
Pooeater. Are you suffering lag since changing to an FMIC?
What else was changed at the same time?

pooeater 16 November 2010 04:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
fmic on the car wen i got her, car was on the dyno sunday showing full boost around 4500rpm alittle late for a vf35 i thought, suspecting the fmic and to be the cause of this

Butty 16 November 2010 05:23 PM

Yikes - that's 27 psi on a poor little Vf35 :eek:

I see from elsewhere that you quoted:

vf35/1.8bar
gems ecu
fmic
inducion k&n
full H&S exhaust
gt spec headers/uppipe
740cc inj
forge actuator
forged 2.0l built by ZEN
mapped at the racing line
made 350bhp/390lbft

Its not producing that anymore so something has changed?
Just what is going on with that run 2 boost curve?

Time to point the finger away from the FMIC causing your woes.

pooeater 16 November 2010 05:46 PM

nothing changed just diff dynos, now its 369/341? run 2 is abit funny with the boost dv i think, be interesting to put a tmic on and see what happens

harvey 16 November 2010 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by pooeater (Post 9715947)
fmic on the car wen i got her, car was on the dyno sunday showing full boost around 4500rpm alittle late for a vf35 i thought, suspecting the fmic and to be the cause of this

Without actually getting my head under your bonnet I do not know what your problem is but it rather sounds like you are blaming your front mount for some change that has taken place and therefore I would conclude at this moment in time that you are laying your hat on the front mount without thinking it through logically.
If you want to come to Darlington by appointment we can probably identify the issues and to do that would cost nothing. Fixing the issues will cost something but without knowing what the issues are I cannot tell you more.

harvey 16 November 2010 11:41 PM

PS: Full boost on a VF35 at 4500 rpm is 700-1000 rpm more than it should be.
There is clearly something wrong and you need someone you can trust to get to the bottom of this in case it causes permanent damage.

prodriverules 16 November 2010 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by pooeater (Post 9715947)

What uppipe are you using mate as this can cause poor spool if to big.

petedotuk 17 November 2010 06:08 AM

After looking at your dyno sheets I'd be getting it checked ASAP. Throw up the AFR from the run, its on the same page as the boost plot.

pooeater 17 November 2010 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:wonder:

si-thee 17 November 2010 10:30 PM

the reason i asked is due to lag im getting, but reading what harvey has put i think i need to step back and think more logical ???

Tidgy 17 November 2010 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by pooeater (Post 9717442)
:wonder:

wtf, get it looked at asap

just to compare, mine on a vf34, compare the fueling between mine and yours

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ods/wheels.jpg

and power graph,

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...20mods/fly.jpg

prodriverules 17 November 2010 11:47 PM

Nice graph there tidgy mate from vf 34,is that classic or newage?

Tidgy 17 November 2010 11:55 PM

cheers, its a classic uk turbo with some other tweeks as well lol

New_scooby_04 18 November 2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9716971)
PS: Full boost on a VF35 at 4500 rpm is 700-1000 rpm more than it should be.
There is clearly something wrong and you need someone you can trust to get to the bottom of this in case it causes permanent damage.

What he said. :thumb: Having been from a TMIC to a quality FMIC (The Hybrid) with a VF35 (and supporting mods) I can tell you that the difference between the two in terms of boost threshold is imperceptible and the lag (i..e delay in response to throttle pedal being pressed) is not noticeably different as far as I could work out too! What is noticably different is the extra power and torque that the FMIC allows the mapper to liberate!

There is something wrong with your set up mate.

Ns04