ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Bonfire Night ... and who chooses to go on Strike? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/857114-bonfire-night-and-who-chooses-to-go-on-strike.html)

pslewis 25 October 2010 11:31 PM

Bonfire Night ... and who chooses to go on Strike?

Those lovely Firemen!! :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11623410

Thanks for NOTHING .... :mad:

360ste 25 October 2010 11:40 PM

Public sector workers are bearing the brunt of the cut backs brought in by this goverment to resolve the mess this country is in. I am on a two year wage freeze considering what the HM forces are doing world wide this in very unfair. Is it any wonder the fire Service who put their lives online to save ours feel this way?

Trout 25 October 2010 11:42 PM

They'll not win many friends with this move! :rolleyes:

bigredrob 26 October 2010 12:02 AM

the firemen, in my opinion, are worth every penny, just like the nurses, and deserve as much respect, and financial reward , if not more than most . I think they deserve more than our "peers"!!

53 26 October 2010 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by bigredrob (Post 9676353)
the firemen, in my opinion, are worth every penny, just like the nurses, and deserve as much respect, and financial reward , if not more than most . I think they deserve more than our "peers"!!

Couldn't agree more but Nov 5th is just callous !:nono:

dpb 26 October 2010 12:07 AM

Mates brother has retired on 2/3's final salary pension !

ScoobyDoo555 26 October 2010 12:47 AM

Bearing in mind, you could class it as natural selection.

*Most* of the accidents on Bonfire night are down to stupid people's actions.....

The firemen are just employing this concept - don't bother helping those who are too stupid to help themselves....

Not necessarily my opinion, but a trail of thought....

bigredrob 26 October 2010 12:50 AM

a bit like the the condems then !!

DCI Gene Hunt 26 October 2010 08:19 AM

Money grabbing scrotes - sack the fecking lot of them... and roll out the:

http://www.tarasupport.co.uk/assets/...en-goddess.jpg

With 500,000 civil servants about to be jobless I'm sure there's a few capable of being trained to take up any gaps...

what would scooby do 26 October 2010 08:23 AM

Only problem I see is that firemen do f@ck all for 99% of their time whereas nurses and police etc are actively working..

Luminous 26 October 2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 360ste (Post 9676335)
Public sector workers are bearing the brunt of the cut backs brought in by this goverment to resolve the mess this country is in. I am on a two year wage freeze considering what the HM forces are doing world wide this in very unfair. Is it any wonder the fire Service who put their lives online to save ours feel this way?

Not that I want to be seen to be picking on you, but you are not the only one. I know several people who are not in the public service and are on pay freezes. One friend is on a four year pay freeze to be followed by a pay CUT - hows that for motivation :eek:

I don't meant to be argumentative, but at least you have a job.

As for the firemen, its a tough job, but it is one that they chose to do. No matter how much they will be paid, they will always be the ones risking their lives, a choice that they chose to make. A choice, that I might add I am grateful they have made, but that does not mean they can be paid anything they want.

DCI Gene Hunt 26 October 2010 08:44 AM

£30K per annum and £19 an hour overtime.... and they're striking at the busiest time of the year! They're about the highest paid in Europe for fire fighters, and equally the most greedy.

skoobidude 26 October 2010 09:38 AM

A little off topic but..

My neighbour came around about a year ago when I had my wood burner on and asked me to let him know when it's gone out so he could put washing out. This was at 1030pm! I couldn't believe it.
I lit it again once this year and I heard all his windows banging shut then he wheel-spun off up the road in his Volvo.
I know one of the reasons he moved from his last house was because a neighbour had fires a lot. Here am I lighting mine once or twice a year and he has the odd barbaque which I have no problem with but people with glasss houses...

He hasn't spoken to me since :rolleyes:

I wonder how he'll react on Nov 5th when the whole country stinks of burning!

dpb 26 October 2010 09:46 AM

Certain areas your not allowed a wood fire i guess .
Guy 2 doors down has / and runs everything off wood burning , apparently , and spends his time collecting firewood. Dont mind the smell at all ( felt natural after coming back from france this last time )
Its certainly not affected our washing / drying.

im trying to imagine a night for having a fire and being able to dry washing at 10.30 pm :wonder:

Leslie 26 October 2010 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9676322)
Those lovely Firemen!! :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11623410

Thanks for NOTHING .... :mad:

Just for a moment I thought you were going to hammer the teachers again!

Les ;)

skoobidude 26 October 2010 10:33 AM

dpb I think the washing going out was just a ploy in that his real issue was that he doesn't tolerate any burning smell due to his experience from his former neighbours.
I won't go out my way to annoy him, but I will be using my wood burner again next summer.
I'll not be dictated to by him so he needs to learn to put up.

We had an issue when we had a party once not long after neighbour had moved in. He "jokinly" told me during a conversation a few days later that him and his wife were looking to move house as they thought we would continue having lots of parties..
Somehow I don't think he was joking.. I'll perhaps start a separate thread about him because some of his issues are laughable and it's worth a big write up :)

Leslie 26 October 2010 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 9676459)
Only problem I see is that firemen do f@ck all for 99% of their time whereas nurses and police etc are actively working..

Are you saying that the coppers come out when called in your area then?

What would you expect the firemen to do while they are waiting for a callout then?

Les

dpb 26 October 2010 10:39 AM

Painting and decorating ?

DCI Gene Hunt 26 October 2010 10:45 AM

They're paid well - especially for a job where the entry qualification is to be of good health. The one really busy night of the year when they'd be most useful they chose to strike, if I were cynical I'd suggest that it's a way of them actually avoiding to have to do any real graft, as they're "on strike" :rolleyes:

So if you think about it we're paying the idle tossers a years salary to "avoid" the one time we will likely need them most, that in my book is abusing the trust and respect of the general public - and for that they can all go and get fcuked.

DCI :thumb:

alcazar 26 October 2010 12:58 PM

I love it when I see striking firemen with a brazier going on the pavement outside their headquarters. Anyone else light one, in town, those tw@s would be there to put it out:mad:

Leslie 26 October 2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 9676615)
They're paid well - especially for a job where the entry qualification is to be of good health. The one really busy night of the year when they'd be most useful they chose to strike, if I were cynical I'd suggest that it's a way of them actually avoiding to have to do any real graft, as they're "on strike" :rolleyes:

So if you think about it we're paying the idle tossers a years salary to "avoid" the one time we will likely need them most, that in my book is abusing the trust and respect of the general public - and for that they can all go and get fcuked.

DCI :thumb:

How would you feel about the one who risks his life to save yours!

Les

pslewis 26 October 2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 9676478)
£30K per annum and £19 an hour overtime.... and they're striking at the busiest time of the year! They're about the highest paid in Europe for fire fighters, and equally the most greedy.

Mind boggling isn't it?

99% of their time is spent on second/third/fouth jobs (whilst being paid for by us!!!!) - sleeping or messing about playing pool and playstation games!!

I would be surprised if a fireman saw 2 fires a year ... and will only see a big dangerous one once in their career!!

Retire at 45 on 2/3rds pay ............. they're taking the pi55 in all honesty - sack them all and employ them on contracts where we pay for when we need them ... let them do their other jobs and we will call on them when we need assistance, and pay them for what they actually do.

DCI Gene Hunt 26 October 2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9676883)
How would you feel about the one who risks his life to save yours!

Les

That's what he's paid for...... now show me a member of the public that's pulled a child from a burning car or house, that's a real hero to me.

Leslie 26 October 2010 02:35 PM

Who gets the most chances at it though?

Les

DCI Gene Hunt 26 October 2010 02:36 PM

Who get's paid to do it more like.

scooby-tc 26 October 2010 02:39 PM

I wish you would go on strike PSL :lol1:

J4CKO 26 October 2010 05:28 PM

I think they have a lot of respect from the Public but I do agree with some of the points, plus they are never short of applicants so in these times I think they should have a word with themselves.

DCI Gene Hunt 26 October 2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 9677404)
I think they have a lot of respect from the Public but I do agree with some of the points, plus they are never short of applicants so in these times I think they should have a word with themselves.

Afternoon :D

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...TXLocOLAp-A5c=

DYK 26 October 2010 07:27 PM

Too much is being focused on November the 5th from the media etc,people read this and get worked up to easily without knowing the whole story.It appears to be happening more,working class people jumping on other working class people because they have some dispute with working conditions or pay etc.The Police are lazy and no good,to Tanker drivers on 35k a year to Firefighters.If the strike does go ahead,just be sensible on bonfire night,don't get drunk and start sticking fireworks in ya arse crack and lighting them etc..;)

Lee247 26 October 2010 07:35 PM

Now here, I'll have nowt bad said about Firemen. :norty:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jylWkSueAL...0/firemen1.jpg