ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   S.E.C.S Psi 3 (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/851233-s-e-c-s-psi-3-a.html)

weazel litchfield type 15 September 2010 08:13 PM

S.E.C.S Psi 3

Iv just changed my standard ecu to a autronics sm4 on a version 8 sti jdm, The PSI 3 worked with my old ecu but will not work with the autronics, Apparantly its not compatible, Does anyone no of another ecu monitor like the S.E.C.S Psi 3 that will work with a aftermarket ecu? :thumb:, Also how much does a used psi 3 roughly go for as i may have to sell now? Cheers guys

B0DSKI 15 September 2010 09:24 PM

Which model is it M8?

Splitpin 15 September 2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by weazel litchfield type (Post 9602182)
Iv just changed my standard ecu to a autronics sm4 on a version 8 sti jdm, The PSI 3 worked with my old ecu but will not work with the autronics, Apparantly its not compatible,

Correct. The PSi3 unit uses the proprietary Subaru comms protocol. Aftermarket ECUs don't.

Does anyone no of another ecu monitor like the S.E.C.S Psi 3 that will work with a aftermarket ecu? :thumb:,
No idea what you can do with the Autronic, but in general most aftermarket ECUs will either have a datalogging facility either onboard or via cable to a PC, or have their own dedicated displays and/or programmers.

weazel litchfield type 16 September 2010 05:53 PM

Sorry about late reply, Iv just finished work, its a S.E.C.S. PSI 3 S1001 its a good bit of kit thats why i was looking to get something like this what is compatible with my ECU, Looks like i will have to sell it now :(, SPLITPIN, do you no weather DEFI guages will be able to work with this ECU? Sorry if im asking a stupid question but i havent looked into guages and dont no how they wire up or that! I probably sound like a complete numpty lol

brockalightus 16 September 2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by weazel litchfield type (Post 9603699)
Sorry about late reply, Iv just finished work, its a S.E.C.S. PSI 3 S1001 its a good bit of kit thats why i was looking to get something like this what is compatible with my ECU, Looks like i will have to sell it now :(, SPLITPIN, do you no weather DEFI guages will be able to work with this ECU? Sorry if im asking a stupid question but i havent looked into guages and dont no how they wire up or that! I probably sound like a complete numpty lol

I think its the display thats being asked for m8, LCD or VFD

LCD is worth £100-150
VFD is worth £250 - 300

weazel litchfield type 16 September 2010 07:23 PM

Cheers m8, Ithink its LCD to be honest, But i have only seen 1 type. Il have to join up on here and sell it.

Splitpin 16 September 2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by weazel litchfield type (Post 9603699)
do you no weather DEFI guages will be able to work with this ECU? Sorry if im asking a stupid question but i havent looked into guages and dont no how they wire up or that! I probably sound like a complete numpty lol

It's not a stupid question (there's pretty much no such thing), but it is a moot question.

Yes, Defis will work fine - but they work fine because they have their own completely independent sensor heads. As such, by definition they'll work with any ECU as they have absolutely nothing to do with it.

This is slightly different to the SECS, which gets most of its information from the ECUs diagnostic datastream - although if you want to use its oil temp/pressure measurement facility, you again need to add dedicated sensors as the Impreza isn't fitted with its own.

weazel litchfield type 16 September 2010 09:08 PM

Nice one, Thanks for that, I get it now cheers :)