ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Is this a record??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/850352-is-this-a-record.html)

jayallen 09 September 2010 04:53 PM

Is this a record???

A friend of mine went to Birmingham on Sunday to buy a 1995 WRX RA. The car has covered about 50k. Upon inspection the engine sounded tight, no nasty knocks or rattles and not a bad car for the money, so a deal was done. 40 miles into his journey home the bottom end failed!!!

So, is 40 miles into new impreza ownership before bottom end failure a record?

muttleyturbo 09 September 2010 04:56 PM

Mileage means nothing to be honest engine wise (to a point)

An engine that has done 40k and hasn't been looked after will fail before a maintained 100k engine.

Eternal Rage 09 September 2010 05:03 PM

another case of new car owners exuberance, hear it so so often.

dread to think what those 40 miles must have been like, so easily done tho, we've all done it.

midnight 09 September 2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by muttleyturbo (Post 9591280)
Mileage means nothing to be honest engine wise (to a point)

An engine that has done 40k and hasn't been looked after will fail before a maintained 100k engine.

Totally agree ,never a truer saying said :thumb:,my last one did 135 k,and still ran like a dream,serviced every 10,000 miles and never missed a beat .

jayallen 09 September 2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eternal Rage (Post 9591291)
another case of new car owners exuberance, hear it so so often.

dread to think what those 40 miles must have been like, so easily done tho, we've all done it.

Way off the mark fella, a steady 70mph on the Motorway. Were not talking about a young guy who has just bought his first Subaru!

Eternal Rage 09 September 2010 05:13 PM

in which case, either very very unlucky or something underhand going on there.
i would take it back and quote treading standards classifications.

If a product isnt fit for the purpose it was sold, it should not have been sold, and hence it was not a viable sale. worth a try. CAB might be able to shed some more technical light on the matter.

Turbo2 09 September 2010 05:15 PM

You've got hand it to the vendor! His timing was spot on! ;)

dj219957 09 September 2010 06:04 PM

it is my guess that the car was already damaged goods before your mate brought it.

i went to view a WRX down south and to the un-trained ear the engine sounded fine and drove fine. but upon close inspection with a carefull ear i could hear the big ends knocking at 2000rpm on lift off. i walked. i knew the car wouldnt make it home. the seller knew what was goin on too! he wanted rid.

owners feel a loss of performance take it to a garage, get the bad news the engine is on its way out and sell on quick. too coincidental that this same story you describe happens on here time after time for it to be "luck". its dodgy owners selling on.

phil739 09 September 2010 06:09 PM

birmingham says it all (no ofense to those that live there)

i looked at some right doggy nails over one weekend when i was looking

dj219957 09 September 2010 06:16 PM

was it this one? http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1964944.htm
if it was im not suprised its gone bang with 1.5 bar boost. that kind of boost must be done properly (like with a proper map and supporting mods)

muttleyturbo 09 September 2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 9591303)
Way off the mark fella, a steady 70mph on the Motorway. Were not talking about a young guy who has just bought his first Subaru!

Not saying the buyer drove like a dick but there is no way you would just buy a scoob and not boost it a few times through the gears. I'd do it with any car just to make sure everything is ticking over ok.

BIG FUD 09 September 2010 06:35 PM

dammmm

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 9591310)
You've got hand it to the vendor! His timing was spot on! ;)

lol pore fc...er:cry:

BIG FUD 09 September 2010 06:36 PM

silly

Originally Posted by phil739 (Post 9591418)
birmingham says it all (no ofense to those that live there)

i looked at some right doggy nails over one weekend when i was looking

Thats just a silly comment i live in brum and only sell the best cars aswell as many many other here.

No offence taken.

LUCKO 09 September 2010 06:46 PM

lol Fud theres no nice cars for sale in post codes B5-B11 ;)

jayallen 09 September 2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by muttleyturbo (Post 9591456)
Not saying the buyer drove like a dick but there is no way you would just buy a scoob and not boost it a few times through the gears. I'd do it with any car just to make sure everything is ticking over ok.

Of course he drove it on boost, i didnt say he was driving it like Miss Daisy but were talking about a mature guy, he was not driving it like a young boy who has just found his winky! :lol1:

@dj219957....no that wasnt the car, this car was completely stock, and i mean completely stock. Recirc valve still fitted, airbox, stock twin pipe silencer with CAT, a totally unabused example...it is in the same form that it left the factory, apart from the "now" knocking engine..:lol1:

The point of this thread was to see if anyone can beat 40 miles of new ownership before the big ends failed.

As for the car, the engine was lifted out monday morning and a replacement is being fitted tomorrow, even with the cost of the replacement engine the car is still a bargain. He was going down the forged route anywhere, so it will probably happen sooner than he intended..:D

C17RPA 09 September 2010 08:38 PM

just bad luck mate,joys of motoring!!!!! :rolleyes:

Maz 09 September 2010 09:15 PM

I'm sure a lad off here had his newly acquired P1 go bang on the journey home. Not sure how many miles it was but I think it may have been less than forty.

Terminator X 09 September 2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 9591582)
As for the car, the engine was lifted out monday morning and a replacement is being fitted tomorrow, even with the cost of the replacement engine the car is still a bargain. He was going down the forged route anywhere, so it will probably happen sooner than he intended..:D

Eh? £3k for a new engine + purchase price of a 95 WRX RA & it was still a bargain :wonder: was he paid to take it away :lol1:

TX.

jayallen 09 September 2010 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9591947)
Eh? £3k for a new engine + purchase price of a 95 WRX RA & it was still a bargain :wonder: was he paid to take it away :lol1:

TX.

Where did you read in any of my posts 3k for an engine?

Terminator X 09 September 2010 11:59 PM

^^ Nowhere, why do you ask?

TX.

Paulo P 10 September 2010 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9592309)
^^ Nowhere, why do you ask?

TX.

Because you stated that the engine cost £3k :wonder:

phil739 10 September 2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BIG FUD (Post 9591472)
Thats just a silly comment i live in brum and only sell the best cars aswell as many many other here.

No offence taken.

sorry mate wasnt aimed at you

but come on you got to admit there are some doggy import traders in brum :norty:

N_Scooby 10 September 2010 09:54 AM

He's picked up a WRX engine cheap, so that will be a temporary fix until he slowly does a rebuild on the original block as funds allow.

He had a Leggy GTB before he was persuaded over to the Impreza RA side.

Terminator X 10 September 2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 9592336)
Because you stated that the engine cost £3k :wonder:

Isn't that what they cost, at least? If lower (?) then we'd all be doing that rather than rebuilding our fooked ones :lol1:

TX.

Paulo P 10 September 2010 01:30 PM

not if you just stick another engine :D

Terminator X 10 September 2010 01:32 PM

^^ Why don't we all do that then :wonder:

TX.

Paulo P 10 September 2010 02:00 PM

some people don't have £3k to spend on an engine, I know that I'd just stick a known good replacement in and chance it.

sharpy2010 10 September 2010 05:03 PM

So if I wanted to fit a brand new STi engine into my existing 05 Blob STi car, it would only cost me £3000?

I might just do that!