ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   "The end of SPEED CAMERAS?" (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/843056-the-end-of-speed-cameras.html)

SRSport 22 July 2010 04:55 PM

"The end of SPEED CAMERAS?"

:luxhello:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z..._468x315-1.jpg

An interesting report on the usefulness of speed cameras and the new direction and stance the government seem to be taking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10723343

GlesgaKiss 22 July 2010 05:15 PM

Let's hope they scrap the plans for those smart average speed cameras too.

andythejock01wrx 22 July 2010 05:17 PM

I'll be the first - Yay!!

dazdavies 22 July 2010 05:28 PM

I cannot see it happening.

The goverment is strapped for cash and these cameras are (unfortunately for us) an incredible source of revenue.

ScoobySteve69 22 July 2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 9508870)
Let's hope they scrap the plans for those smart average speed cameras too.

They`ve already started work on those :cry:

Tidgy 22 July 2010 05:49 PM

i have no problems with using ANPR cameras, but speed cameras i despise

madscoob 22 July 2010 06:08 PM

the link was a clip of devon SUPERB HAPPY DAYS redundancy notices in the post for the speed gestapo workers as well what a bonus . bit early though xmas isnt till december . 25% cut in spending on it that may actually mean plod will have to work for a living now instead of sitting in a van taking photos

SRSport 22 July 2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 9508903)
I cannot see it happening.

The goverment is strapped for cash and these cameras are (unfortunately for us) an incredible source of revenue.

I know there's a long way to go but any publicity like this and news of a reduction is very welcome.

What's this new smart average speed camera thing? Dont like the sound of that.:cry:

sparkykev 22 July 2010 06:28 PM

They're just installing two new ones up the road from me.

SRSport 22 July 2010 06:36 PM

But what are they? I cant find them on a google search.

Mark'sWRX 22 July 2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 9508992)

AFAIK, they can have a camera in Kent and a camera in Cumbria and can work out if you broke the speed limit between the two (and between any other camera you may pass on the way!):mad:

SRSport 22 July 2010 06:44 PM

:(:(:(
(If I used words, Id use words I shouldn't.)

pslewis 22 July 2010 09:50 PM

Thats fine, get rid of the fixed cameras ..... let's get many more mobile units!

Speeders know where cameras are - hidden cars and vans are much better at catching the irresponsible :thumb:

ScoobySteve69 22 July 2010 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX (Post 9508999)
AFAIK, they can have a camera in Kent and a camera in Cumbria and can work out if you broke the speed limit between the two (and between any other camera you may pass on the way!):mad:

I thought they had a 50 mile range or something? Might be wrong though :lol1:

GlesgaKiss 23 July 2010 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 9509511)
I thought they had a 50 mile range or something? Might be wrong though :lol1:

That's the gist of it though. Basically the idea would have been to collect extensive revenues, then give the money to the sort of spackers you see on jeremy kyle... Woops, I mean improve road safety.

Glowplug 23 July 2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 9508992)

They are called Spec cameras, info:

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/specs.htm

StickyMicky 23 July 2010 12:42 PM

They dont need cameras.

Each car will ultimately be tracked......

Westwood2006 23 July 2010 01:02 PM

Hard to feel sorry for some of these guys loosing their jobs. I saw one the other day. The guy was actually hiding in some blokes garden pointing his camera over the fence a few hundred yards before the national speed limit sign.

It wouldn't be so bad if they pulled you over and looked you in the eye to accuse you of speeding instead of hiding behind paperwork and the system.

I'll say it again: I have never seen a speed trap outside a school!

Boils my p1ss every time.

Terminator X 23 July 2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 9508914)
They`ve already started work on those :cry:

What are they? Edit - seen answer above.

IMHO people are too resourceful to get caught by "machines" in the long term ... SPECS is defeated by a motorbike FFS!

TX.

Terminator X 23 July 2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX (Post 9508999)

Impossible unless there is no way to get off the road in question, like a m/way.

TX.

Terminator X 23 July 2010 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9509388)
Thats fine, get rid of the fixed cameras ..... let's get many more mobile units!

Speeders know where cameras are - hidden cars and vans are much better at catching the irresponsible :thumb:

http://www.blogforarizona.com/.a/6a0...b9c0970b-500wi

TX.

pslewis 23 July 2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9510235)

Picture of you so far up your own hole you cannot see the real world?

Terminator X 23 July 2010 01:40 PM

If you don't know what it is, suggest you put your specs on as suggested in another thread :lol1:

TX.

Westwood2006 23 July 2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9510235)

Gets my vote for post of the day :luxhello:

SRSport 23 July 2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9510079)
They are called Spec cameras, info:

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/specs.htm

Oh, these things, the ones on the M1 that restrict you to 50mph for no apparent reason other than to get you frustrated that you are travelling so slowly, raise you stress levels and make you more aggressive while driving the remainder of your journey increasing the chances of you doing something dangerous.

Yeah great idea these. :Whatever_

Westwood2006 23 July 2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9510151)
They dont need cameras.

Each car will ultimately be tracked......

If that day ever came I expect I'd get the "continuously faulty" box ;)

There has been talk about insurance companies installing boxes and operating "pay as you drive" schemes.

So hypothetically, if I were breaking the speed limit I wouldn't be insured. I wonder if the pay as you go counter would stop while I was speeding? Hypothetically of course.

Leslie 23 July 2010 03:14 PM

I have said often enough that I think the accuracy of the speedcams cannot be relied upon enough to be used to prosecute drivers. By the same token, I don't believe that excessive speeding is right either. It is unfair on others, it reduces safety margins, and if you do have an accident it will cause more damage and worse injuries.

Our roads are just too crowded these days and also the state of road surfaces is getting worse. All that and high speeds as well is a bad combination. Speed limits are there for a good reason most of the time and it is worth remembering that none of us have a God given right to be hammering along at very high speeds and it is also a pretty selfish act when you think about it. Fifty MPH limits on motorways are surely there to protect those working on the road aren't they? Can't be justified in whingeing about that in my opinion.

I believe that the speedcams are a "cash cow" and the sooner they go the better, As was said they were not used in a sensible or fair manner and not used near schools etc. where they were really needed. I also object to being spied upon by ANPR cameras too.

I think we should go back to many more traffic police cars who would do you for speeding but also would find out if you were uninsured, pissed, or in an unsafe car. It was far better to deal with a human being who might let you off with a bollocking if you had not been really stupid.

The use of those flashing signs which tell you your speed if excessive for all to see always makes people slow down which should be the real object of the game anyway.

Les

Westwood2006 23 July 2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9510414)
The use of those flashing signs which tell you your speed if excessive for all to see always makes people slow down which should be the real object of the game anyway.

I reckon they would be of more use if they set them to 32 or 33 rather than 28 or 29!

It is very simple psychology. They get treated like the boy who called WOLF!

Anger 23 July 2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9510414)
Fifty MPH limits on motorways are surely there to protect those working on the road aren't they? Can't be justified in whingeing about that in my opinion.

Les

Oh they do work on them then, drove through 3 lots on the M25/M1 the otherday and didnt see any workers.... but saying that i was the only one it seamed sticking to 50 still :wonder:

Westwood2006 23 July 2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 9510481)
Oh they do work on them then, drove through 3 lots on the M25/M1 the otherday and didnt see any workers.... but saying that i was the only one it seamed sticking to 50 still :wonder:

Just a quick thought... does anyone know someone who has been caught by an average speed camera? What about the variable speed limit cameras?