ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Woman jailed for family hairloom (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/837838-woman-jailed-for-family-hairloom.html)

Jaybird-UK 17 June 2010 07:42 AM

Woman jailed for family hairloom

A grandmother has been jailed for five years for possessing a "family heirloom" World War II pistol.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10335003.stm

5 years??!!! are they mad?

dpb 17 June 2010 08:10 AM

A bit of bird in her ?

Trout 17 June 2010 08:19 AM

If it was a family heirloom that was being held innocently, why was it being hidden under the mattress?

M4RKG 17 June 2010 08:48 AM

Laws the law to be fair like... and after events like whitehaven, you've got to respect it

cossie_eater 17 June 2010 08:58 AM

i can imagine the interview

" Sorry officer i hid it under my mattress becuase my 5 year old grandson kept trying to shoot the cat! "

Leslie 17 June 2010 09:16 AM

Did she have any ammunition for it?

Les-link wont work

RA Dunk 17 June 2010 09:18 AM

This strikes me as odd.

"The case began after police arrived at the 53-year-old's home on 17 June 2009 with an arrest warrant for her son who had failed to turn up for a court appearance. "

They turned up to nick her son so they searched for him under 'her' bed?

As it was an arrest warrant and not a search warrant did they have grounds to search 'her' belongings even though the warrant was for him?

RA Dunk 17 June 2010 09:19 AM

This strikes me as odd.

"The case began after police arrived at the 53-year-old's home on 17 June 2009 with an arrest warrant for her son who had failed to turn up for a court appearance. "

They turned up to nick her son so they searched for him under 'her' bed?

As it was an arrest warrant and not a search warrant did they have grounds to search 'her' belongings even though the warrant was for him?

richs2891 17 June 2010 09:21 AM

I understand the implications after such tragic events as Whitehaven - but there was no ammunition which I think is the key thing, its 76 years old, she is 53 is not like she was waving the gun around.
Taking the gun away and a few years probation would be a better call in my eyes

Richard

richs2891 17 June 2010 09:21 AM

Double post !

RA Dunk 17 June 2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9451781)
Did she have any ammunition for it?

Les-link wont work

Nope not AFAIK, it said the gun was unloaded but did not mention any ammunition to be found.

EddScott 17 June 2010 10:02 AM

Sounds like certain facts have been omitted to improve the "wrong-ness" of the story.

M4RKG 17 June 2010 10:03 AM

Ammo or no ammo, a gun is a gun... not only is her son obviously a scumbag, shes also a grandmother, and shes got it in a canny obvious place that any burglar would find it, then theres another spaka on the loose with a gun ready to destroy someones life.

... am sure those of you with kids wouldn't be to happy to have your young'ns around at grannies when theres a gun under her bed!

M4RKG 17 June 2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 9451836)
Sounds like certain facts have been omitted to improve the "wrong-ness" of the story.

+1

shaunywrx 17 June 2010 10:40 AM

Is my memory failing me, or did they not bring a law in, (probably back in the early nineties) that anyone convicted of processing an unlicensed firearm would get a mandatory 12 year sentence?

But regardless, unless they're (obviously) not telling the whole story, it doe's seem particularly harsh, considering some people serve less time for killing someone.

TimH 17 June 2010 10:45 AM

"She admitted illegal possession of the firearm, an offence with a minimum five-year jail term under Scots law."

billythekid 17 June 2010 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by shaunywrx (Post 9451895)
Is my memory failing me, or did they not bring a law in, (probably back in the early nineties) that anyone convicted of processing an unlicensed firearm would get a mandatory 12 year sentence?

But regardless, unless they're (obviously) not telling the whole story, it doe's seem particularly harsh, considering some people serve less time for killing someone.

Its a 5 year min if found with a gun. Even if you are just "keeping" it for someone else.

Ammo is covered under a different law.

If its a war trophy you get it deactivated. And you put it on the wall or in a cabinet on show. You dont hide it under your bed!

cster 17 June 2010 11:32 AM

I guess the judge thought it was an "heirloom" and not an heirloom.
IMO, a good lawyer would have pushed the "hairloom" defence.

Jaybird-UK 17 June 2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9451985)

Good going... in pointing out my typing error you managed to type "heirloom" twice in the first sentence. :razz:

Leslie 17 June 2010 12:29 PM

Just shows how easy it can be to make a typo doesn't it!

Les ;)

cster 17 June 2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 9452063)
Good going... in pointing out my typing error you managed to type "heirloom" twice in the first sentence. :razz:

I think you will see I typed "heirloom" once and heirloom the same.
Wouldn't worry about typos too much if I were you - I certainly wouldn't have pointed it out except for the punny aspect.

shaunywrx 17 June 2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9452101)
Just shows how easy it can be to make a typo doesn't it!

Les ;)

You won't catch me making many tpyo's :D

Jaybird-UK 17 June 2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9452109)
I certainly wouldn't have pointed it out except for the punny aspect.

Indeed, quite a funny typo really

Here is someone working a hair(horse)loom
http://www.royalwoodltd.com/eloom.jpg

Mitchy260 17 June 2010 02:47 PM

And they wonder why prisons are overcrowded:cuckoo:

She is of no risk to the public, she didn't have ammunition for it.

Lunacy over common sense.

LG John 17 June 2010 04:08 PM

I'm normally the first to cry foul at the British system of law.

However, "He was not at the flat, but the 80-year-old pistol was found underneath a mattress in her bedroom."

You don't keep family heirloom's under the matress. I could understand if was in a display cabinet, on a mantel peice or in a box of trinkets and memories........but under a mattress? Come on!

Ian 17 June 2010 05:16 PM

would it of been a 7.65mm as well, as thet seams big for a pistol

Jer 17 June 2010 05:25 PM

Sounds like it was the sons and she was taking the flack for it.

EddScott 17 June 2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9451985)

Maybe he should have gone for the Chewbacca defence?

;)

gallois 17 June 2010 05:41 PM

family heirloom? yeh right. makes it sound like an old inert rusty ornament, this colt1911 style of gun is still being made today

it will look like thi:- http://thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-cont...ng_hp_Main.jpg

StickyMicky 17 June 2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jer (Post 9452459)
Sounds like it was the sons and she was taking the flack for it.

I agree, sounds like a family of scruffneck vagabonds.