ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2008-2010 2.5ltr Engine Failures (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/828990-2008-2010-2-5ltr-engine-failures.html)

Littleted 03 February 2014 10:21 AM

don't forget spoonz if you spend some more brass with David, you can get 400 450, safely,

And 400 is the new 300 after all :)

Littleted 03 February 2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hughy (Post 11342213)
I'm so glad I got shot of mine when I did, I know there not all bad but jessssssus its like a lottery with these engines ........:Suspiciou:Suspiciou:Suspiciou::(:(:(

You not got any Scooby now Hughy ? if not what you driving ?

SpoonZ 03 February 2014 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11342867)
don't forget spoonz if you spend some more brass with David, you can get 400 450, safely,

And 400 is the new 300 after all :)

Forged, 400 and a little less lag would suit me perfectly. :)

APIDavid 03 February 2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by wrcdaf (Post 11341870)
So here's an interesting scenario and I'd like to hear your thoughts, my father's 330S went in to have new disks and pads fitted at the dealership, after they'd completed the work the mechanic took the car out to "test" the brakes, no doubt on a cold engine and quite likely thrashed it - the engine went (not sure on details but I'm assuming the same as everyone else with a 330S has suffered) but seeing as the car was fine going in and the engine went whilst the car was in the garage what's the situation with putting it right - any thoughts?

Also, they claim they've taken a whole lot of data from the car which has been sent to Subaru UK / Japan for them to see if the engine was on the way out before it went into the dealer or was it down to how it was driven whilst with the dealer that caused the issue. I know very little about how cars actually work and I know they're very sophisticated these days and plugging a laptop in tells them a lot but can they really see if the engine was on the way out?

To my knowledge there is no data logging function on a standard car ecu, so i'd be surprised if IM can get any data. What i think they will be looking for is evidence of a rewrite of the software by Ecutek. At that point they'll walk.

BUT if the dealer broke the car whilst 'testing it ' that is their problem and they must take responsibility for breaking your car. Threaten them with everything you can think of and get them to make a MAJOR contribution to the repair. Do not get fobbed off. Ideally get the car rebuilt elsewhere ...

David APi

urban 03 February 2014 12:31 PM

I think I'd threaten the dealer with introducing the story to the press - locally to begin with, then nationally if need be.

wrcdaf 03 February 2014 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mickp (Post 11342724)
Need to dig your heels in wrcdaf. How long had your father owned the car and what mileage were you on ?

He's had the car for 2 years, bought it when it had 20k on the clock, it's now done around about 31 I believe.

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 11342950)
To my knowledge there is no data logging function on a standard car ecu, so i'd be surprised if IM can get any data. What i think they will be looking for is evidence of a rewrite of the software by Ecutek. At that point they'll walk.

BUT if the dealer broke the car whilst 'testing it ' that is their problem and they must take responsibility for breaking your car. Threaten them with everything you can think of and get them to make a MAJOR contribution to the repair. Do not get fobbed off. Ideally get the car rebuilt elsewhere ...

David APi

Thanks David, that's interesting information. What do you mean by a re-write? I feel as if the whole talk of sending data to IM is a fobbing off process...

Yes it is a major issue for us and we're making our feelings known to them and it is a dealer we've bought many cars from but we're making sure our voices get heard as I have a MY11 STI and they won't see me again if they don't sort this out.

wrcdaf 03 February 2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11342963)
I think I'd threaten the dealer with introducing the story to the press - locally to begin with, then nationally if need be.

Not a bad idea - that'll rattle the cage a bit

Littleted 03 February 2014 02:20 PM

I seem to think this has been discussed before, and im sure Subaru can gain something from the ECU that will explain, things like, Low Oil etc. Or as david said, they may be looking for signs it was going. But none the less the car went in working it comes out working its LAW, here this is from Which website

When you take your car into a garage, it's protected under the law of bailment, which says that anyone you entrust with your property has a responsibility to take reasonable care of it.

If they fall short of this, they're responsible for any damage or loss incurred while your car is in their possession.

In addition, the Supply of Goods and Services Act says that your garage must provide its service with reasonable care and skill, and will be responsible for any damaged caused if it doesn't.

Garages might display notices denying responsibility for loss or damage to vehicles in their possession.

But under the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999, these can't be used to try and take away or restrict your legal rights.

Whatever the cause, it’s very unlikely that a court would uphold a garage’s claim to be exempt from all responsibility.

Should your car be damaged, you can claim compensation for the loss or damage, and potentially reasonable expenses incurred as a result, such as the cost of alternative transport while your car was off the road.

Before incurring such costs, give the garage a chance to cover them, or help with your arrangements.

Use our template letter to complain about damage to your vehicle while at a garage

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...what-can-i-do-

good luck

P.S that dealer will know the issues they have with the engines, hence will know the cost hes gonna get bummed for, but also the loopholes he can nail you on..

wrcdaf 03 February 2014 02:42 PM

Thanks Littleted, much appreciated. Will keep you in the loop...

The Trooper 1815 03 February 2014 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by wrcdaf (Post 11343099)
Thanks Littleted, much appreciated. Will keep you in the loop...

Is your dealer near Crickhowell?

wrcdaf 03 February 2014 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11343192)
Is your dealer near Crickhowell?

I'd rather not name the dealership in question for the time being but it's not the one near Crickhowell

The Trooper 1815 03 February 2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by wrcdaf (Post 11343288)
I'd rather not name the dealership in question for the time being but it's not the one near Crickhowell

:thumb:

JBUK 03 February 2014 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by SpoonZ (Post 11342838)
330s, 39k, 2 Owners, FSSH.

APIDavid. Pencil me in, I could be coming to you soon! :thumb:

Are there also options to upgrade at the same time? Maybe I'll give you a bell to discuss.

Brave. I wouldn't wait if you have the cash now it could cost you extra later!

I'm getting the ecutek remap up to 400 and a billett turbo installed, new clutch and the forged pistons setup.

You may be lucky.

Do you know if that car has had a previous engine replacement?
I asked my local Subaru and they told me about all the previous work under warranty!

Hughy 04 February 2014 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11342868)
You not got any Scooby now Hughy ? if not what you driving ?

I'm back in a RS mate with the Cp400 fitted......:D:thumb:

Hughy 04 February 2014 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 11342550)
but you never had any problems with your WRXs did you Hughy?

No Phil, never had a problem with the new saloon when I owned it neither, but I wasn't willing to take the risk of it going pop, so got out of it while I was offered a good deal......:thumb:

STEVECHAPS 04 February 2014 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hughy (Post 11344430)
I'm back in a RS mate with the Cp400 fitted......:D:thumb:

Me too, albeit a standard FRS. 12 years of Subaru ownership finished by this engine issue.

rob84 05 February 2014 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by wrcdaf (Post 11343050)
Thanks David, that's interesting information. What do you mean by a re-write? I feel as if the whole talk of sending data to IM is a fobbing off process...

Re-write as in remapped ecu in the vehicle to extract more power etc.

the sending of data isn't as simple as you think, your not being fobbed off, There is a procedure to follow which entails sending off the relevant paperwork with CVN & CID numbers from the ecu to ensure it's not been tampered with. and there's a few brief questions to be filled in off the customer which gets returned to Subaru uk then to japan for them to View and decide, Usually takes around a week to process.

The vehicle can log 2 consecutive journeys, max speed, max rpms, max temps, distance for each trip & total daily count etc etc

SpoonZ 07 February 2014 05:56 PM

Am I right in thinking there are quite a few 2008 cars out there (unforged) running ECUTEC 350bhp maps fine and without issue? I've come across a couple on here, so what gives?

Are we saying all the pistons are faulty or some batches? Or just the luck of the draw?

Is it the PPP map that is affected? or the standard map that was released first in 2008? Does the Prodrive 330s map have the same issue?

The data is inconsistent, no doubt an issue exists though, just not sure what the combination of causes is. Or is that conclusion still outstanding? I guess with no official numbers of fault vs units sold it will always be a mystery.

rob84 07 February 2014 06:40 PM

I ran mine unforged at 380bhp for 30,000 miles before it self combusted, I still blame fuel quality as there were issues in my case which caused extreme detonation.

SpoonZ 08 February 2014 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by rob84 (Post 11347013)
I ran mine unforged at 380bhp for 30,000 miles before it self combusted, I still blame fuel quality as there were issues in my case which caused extreme detonation.

Interesting, did you use Vpower/98 all the time and come across a bad batch? or have to fuel up with 95?

rob84 08 February 2014 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SpoonZ (Post 11347541)
Interesting, did you use Vpower/98 all the time and come across a bad batch? or have to fuel up with 95?

V-power or Tesco 99 at all times, I'd never knowingly stick inferior 95 in my car.
the garage was doing something rather frowned upon and filling the v-power with 95, only came to light after a fuel test after there were some suspicion's in an evo on a mapping day, were it would det for fun. drained the tank and refilled and the problem disappeared, had the fuel tested and it was 95..

SpoonZ 08 February 2014 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by rob84 (Post 11347654)
V-power or Tesco 99 at all times, I'd never knowingly stick inferior 95 in my car.
the garage was doing something rather frowned upon and filling the v-power with 95, only came to light after a fuel test after there were some suspicion's in an evo on a mapping day, were it would det for fun. drained the tank and refilled and the problem disappeared, had the fuel tested and it was 95..

Damn, that's bad news mate. As Shell are franchised I suppose its down to the individual owners. Wonder how much of it goes on!

Fai17 09 February 2014 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by rob84 (Post 11347654)

That's not good when we trust the garage from where we buy the fuel from.
Can you make a claim against the garage under the sales of goods act?

urban 10 February 2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fai17 (Post 11348468)
That's not good when we trust the garage from where we buy the car from.
Can you make a claim against Subaru under the sales of goods act?

EFA ;)

SpoonZ 10 February 2014 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11349299)
EFA ;)

Did yours fail Urban?

urban 10 February 2014 01:33 PM

No, but I understand that it has since shat itself after I sold it

Imy877 11 February 2014 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11349532)
No, but I understand that it has since shat itself after I sold it

Did you have your old hatch remapped?

salsa-king 12 February 2014 07:22 AM

Kev from ScoobyClinic has an interesting thread on www.M-Soc.com
about wrong fuel and the results on Pistons with ring land failure.. including pix!

it's here.. you might need to register if you're not already
http://midlandscoobies.invisionzone....c=33320&page=2

he might post it up on here too

urban 12 February 2014 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Imy877 (Post 11351295)
Did you have your old hatch remapped?

Nope - well it was a 330S, so you could say it was remapped I suppose.

wms-racing 12 February 2014 04:16 PM

Ive just put this in the for sale section if anyone needs a good value upgrade/fix
https://www.scoobynet.com/car-parts-...l#post11351833