ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What kind of power can the standard gearbox and diff's handle (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/824258-what-kind-of-power-can-the-standard-gearbox-and-diffs-handle.html)

intergrale4x4 26 March 2010 09:11 PM

What kind of power can the standard gearbox and diff's handle

Was just interested to find out which gearbox and diff's you blokes running mega 400+ BHP are using and what can the standard unit handle before it throws it's guts out. I know this has prob been covered before but I tried searching and drew a blank

Craig

Marx Mcrae 26 March 2010 09:13 PM

In a classic most people opt for a newage STi 6 speed box and matching diff, but some like myself use the standard casing with PPG internals.

T5OLF 26 March 2010 09:22 PM

And some of just keeping chucking 5 speeds at em, which if I'm honest is a waste of money. My RA has broke 5th gear 3 times now running anywhere between 300 and 330 ftlbs of torque. No drag strip starts, no clutch dropping etc.

In 5 years I have spent just short of 500 quid on 2 RA boxes, and another 1100 quid on an sti ra box, dccd pro controller and having my front diff fitted. Thats does not include fitting which I do myself.

I could have gone 6 speed for a few more quid. If you want to run over 300 I would go ppg or 6 as said above.

Marx Mcrae 26 March 2010 09:24 PM

A very wise bloke said an STi 5/6 box could take upto 400bhp

T5OLF 26 March 2010 09:25 PM

Yeah I think the later ones had a wider 2,3 and 4th?

Anger 26 March 2010 09:27 PM

I ran a V5 RA box on the strip at between 410-451bhp for 6 months with over 30 full launches and never killed it... some just seam to take the power and others dont

Marx Mcrae 26 March 2010 09:28 PM

The casing on the TY754 gearboxes was alot stronger.

Its not the BHP that kills a gearbox, its the Torque that kills them.

intergrale4x4 26 March 2010 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae (Post 9310672)
The casing on the TY754 gearboxes was alot stronger.

Its not the BHP that kills a gearbox, its the Torque that kills them.

Yeah but BHP is calculated from the Torque and rpm figure.

Horsepower = Torque x rpm / 5252

An engine running at 5252 rpm, its torque and BHP are the same thats where the lines on yer graphs cross or the dyno is stuffed.
Not trying to be a smart ass just I studied this stuff :)

Craig

intergrale4x4 26 March 2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae (Post 9310663)
A very wise bloke said an STi 5/6 box could take upto 400bhp

So how often do these come up and how much will I need to pay for a good one mate ??

Craig

Marx Mcrae 26 March 2010 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by intergrale4x4 (Post 9310728)
So how often do these come up and how much will I need to pay for a good one mate ??

Craig

I sold a V6 gearbox with matching diff for £450 last month, but you can usually get them cheaper

Tidgy 26 March 2010 09:50 PM

anything over 350 on a 5 speed and its pure luck if it survives or not. there doesn;t seem to be a point at which they all fail, well except stupid power anyway. once you hit 350 it prob wont last unless your luck

intergrale4x4 26 March 2010 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae (Post 9310740)
I sold a V6 gearbox with matching diff for £450 last month, but you can usually get them cheaper

What year of car do the V6 boxes come out of ??? What year do they change to six speed and how much would I need to pay to get one ?? I've already got two spare boxes and I'm building a EJ205 CDB motor at the moment but I really hate having to recover my own motor from the side of the road so I fancy a box thats gonna take a bit of stress

Craig

Marx Mcrae 26 March 2010 10:17 PM

from a MY99/00 classic impreza

intergrale4x4 26 March 2010 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae (Post 9310826)
from a MY99/00 classic impreza

Whats the PPG internals from ? Can I buy a new gear cluster with bearings if so where from ??

Thanks
Craig

intergrale4x4 26 March 2010 10:32 PM

Don't think I'll bother with this gearbox
Subaru impreza wrx sti 6 speed DCCD JDM gear box set on eBay (end time 07-Apr-10 15:03:22 BST)

Prob comes in a truck with 200 illegal's that get dole money soon as thay set foot in Dover (Another 2pence on a litre a fuel and 5k on my PAYE)

Tidgy 26 March 2010 10:33 PM

i got mine from scoobyclinic, but you do realise its about 3 grand for the gear kit?

intergrale4x4 26 March 2010 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 9310867)
i got mine from scoobyclinic, but you do realise its about 3 grand for the gear kit?

Yeah is why I'm asking how much a good second hand 6 speed would cost. "Wife just cost me 3K putting a french door in the living room" loads a light and it's pretty kewl but I'm still gonna feel like a **** when my classic box explodes ;)

Craig

Tidgy 26 March 2010 10:58 PM

lol, personaly didn;t fancy the ratio changes of a 6 speed, also as far as which is stronger there seems to be no concensus

Steve Whitehorn 26 March 2010 11:10 PM

6 speed
You can pick up the box, diff shafts ect for about 2,000-2,500 ish
However 4,5,6 syncros are the weaker ones so they are worth replacing.
I had another part needed to.
Its a heavy bugger. A five speed is doable on the driveway...but a six.
So by the time you pay for someone to pull the old box in and put the new one in
Budget for 3,500ish.
That will however take pretty well much all the torque you can throw at it.

PPG similar cost to the above ..are stronger than TY754...but can break.

The standard boxes, as mentioned, go for a later TY754 as opposed to earlier TY752. As the casing is stronger. A bit hit or miss as to when they will break. 340-350lbs seems to be the max. However I know people blow them running less I know people who have run more through them and they have held.
(VN is the code for the UK boxes to match the rear diff - VB for the Jap boxes to match the jap rear diff)
these 600ish (tested) from a breakers. Can pick them up for 400ish. Trouble is the histroy on many of them is a touch vague.

Hope this helps

Steve Whitehorn 26 March 2010 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 9310938)
lol, personaly didn;t fancy the ratio changes of a 6 speed, also as far as which is stronger there seems to be no concensus

Agree ratios are nicer on the 5 speed.

intergrale4x4 26 March 2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn (Post 9310977)
6 speed
You can pick up the box, diff shafts ect for about 2,000-2,500 ish
However 4,5,6 syncros are the weaker ones so they are worth replacing.
I had another part needed to.
Its a heavy bugger. A five speed is doable on the driveway...but a six.
So by the time you pay for someone to pull the old box in and put the new one in
Budget for 3,500ish.
That will however take pretty well much all the torque you can throw at it.

PPG similar cost to the above ..are stronger than TY754...but can break.

The standard boxes, as mentioned, go for a later TY754 as opposed to earlier TY752. As the casing is stronger. A bit hit or miss as to when they will break. 340-350lbs seems to be the max. However I know people blow them running less I know people who have run more through them and they have held.
(VN is the code for the UK boxes to match the rear diff - VB for the Jap boxes to match the jap rear diff)
these 600ish (tested) from a breakers. Can pick them up for 400ish. Trouble is the histroy on many of them is a touch vague.

Hope this helps

Yeah great info thanks It was the numbers I was after really!! I'll prob just keep turning it up till it explodes, I have a couple of spares. But I'd still be interested in a good priced 6 speed and diff. I have a 1995 WRX breaking if anyone needs any daft part call me, I'm keeping the engine, box and clutch. It's got a huge boot spolier and fancy rear light clusters that will be for sale

intergrale4x4 27 March 2010 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by intergrale4x4 (Post 9310865)
Don't think I'll bother with this gearbox
Subaru impreza wrx sti 6 speed DCCD JDM gear box set on eBay (end time 07-Apr-10 15:03:22 BST)

Prob comes in a truck with 200 illegal's that get dole money soon as thay set foot in Dover (Another 2pence on a litre a fuel and 5k on my PAYE)

Just sent this to the bloke with the advert on ebay posted above ;)

"Harro I be Brucie from Kazicstan and I would be licking your gearbick I will be sending you used notes in a potected bag. You be giving me a big discount if you are able to play with my sister ?? Like big time she loves the big Diks ?? Please answer me soon as my sister needs her box sorted.
Yeack shee mash" :)

Maz 27 March 2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by intergrale4x4 (Post 9311158)
Just sent this to the bloke with the advert on ebay posted above ;)

"Harro I be Brucie from Kazicstan and I would be licking your gearbick I will be sending you used notes in a potected bag. You be giving me a big discount if you are able to play with my sister ?? Like big time she loves the big Diks ?? Please answer me soon as my sister needs her box sorted.
Yeack shee mash" :)

What if the bloke is a genuine seller and not some scumbag?

Tidgy 27 March 2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Einstein RA (Post 9311850)
What if the bloke is a genuine seller and not some scumbag?

with the amount of bull in it if its genuin he's selling it with false info in it. so who cares lol