ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Battle Of Britain Memorial flight is at Risk, Please sign petition to save it!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/812674-the-battle-of-britain-memorial-flight-is-at-risk-please-sign-petition-to-save-it.html)

Scoob99 28 January 2010 08:55 AM

The Battle Of Britain Memorial flight is at Risk, Please sign petition to save it!!!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...8a0a086&ref=nf

I hope I have done this right!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Colin

Scoob99 28 January 2010 08:57 AM

Bloody fingers, look how I have spelt Britain, sorry guys:(
Cheers
Colin

SunnySideUp 28 January 2010 09:00 AM

I may be wrong - but wasn't this campaign doing the rounds last year, or maybe the year before? I thought what came out was that the Flight wasn't actually at risk at all?

I'm all for supporting the Flight, just questioning if this fear was just a mistake?

Scoob99 28 January 2010 09:07 AM

As far as I know, my cousin who use to work for them (BBMF that is) started the petition only this week, as her Father was a Co-Pilot bomb Aimer in a Lancaster in WW2, he is the reason I love the Lancaster Bomber so much.
Cheers
Colin

ChrisB 28 January 2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scoob99 (Post 9186300)
Cheers
Colin

Corrected it for you.

Scoob99 28 January 2010 09:18 AM

Cheers Chris, Did you sign it though??:D
Cheers
Colin

Leslie 28 January 2010 11:16 AM

That is very worrying news, I sincerely hope that does not happen. Apart from the all important significance of the BBMF and the vital history it commemorates from those dark days of WW2, it is a constant source of joy for the spectators at the displays. There was a move to include Vulcan 558 in the flight too and in view of the historic and effective stance of the V Bombers during the Cold War that would be a good thing to do.

The enemy was actively afraid of the Vulcan coupled with SSuP's bucket of sunshine until the day it was taken out of service.

This country will becaome a very grey place if this sort of thing is done away with!

Les

Jaybird-UK 28 January 2010 12:59 PM

Rather than click the facebook link here is the proper link

Petition to: Ensure that the Battle of Birtain Memorial Flight is not axed in any defence cuts. | Number10.gov.uk

SunnySideUp 28 January 2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scoob99 (Post 9186300)
Cheers
Colin

You do seem to have pesky fingers .......... remember the MAMORY Flight of 2003? :lol1:

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...al-flight.html

:lol1:

Jamie 28 January 2010 02:25 PM

Do these petitions ever work i have done loads never ever seen a result.

Oh done btw:)

shooter007 28 January 2010 05:20 PM

done

Adrian F 28 January 2010 11:52 PM

Number 10 just uses this system of petitions as away to channel compliants into a useless process rather than allowing people to find effective ways of complaining.

People filling in the petition and feel they have done their bit and then move onto some thing else. if this process wasnt available then people might be motivated into finding another way of complaining which would be outside the control of Number 10 and actually be effective

I hope they dont get rid of the BBMF as a cost cutting but they could do away with all the soldiers in london in the old uniforms doing cermonial duties and all the horses etc. Let the police guard these places if guards are needed.

Oh and the red arrows can go as well or be funded out of the governments PR budget because if it is a choice between a helicopter to move troops safely or the red arrows promoting the government i would want the helicopter as it would mean less troops dying in thin skinned vehicles on roads in far flung countries

SunnySideUp 29 January 2010 12:12 AM

Troops don't die in thin skinned vehicles .... have you seen what a shaped charge can do to steel plate? I have - and no amount of practicable steel thickness can protect against roadside bombs .... it needs to be deflected somehow and many designs are being developed to do just this.

Slightly off topic, but just wanted to clear up that mis-understanding. Agree that Helicopters are required though :thumb:

Scoob99 29 January 2010 09:13 AM

You rotten lot :D:D:D Anyhows anyone with any info on the Lancaster Bomber please could they PM me this is very dear to my heart, Sadly my uncle has passed away and he was gonna tell me about his life in the Lancaster but sadly that never happend:( Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Colin

SunnySideUp 29 January 2010 09:17 AM

Not sure how close you are, but:-

The only place in the UK where you can ride in an Lancaster Bomber - Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre

Dip Yer Bread! :D

Jamie 29 January 2010 09:36 AM

The other one is canada and they can not get the funds so it is in a Museum in Ontario:(

r32 29 January 2010 09:55 AM

Done. Worthy cause, once its gone its gone for good.

Adrian F 29 January 2010 05:19 PM

The vehicles they are in are part of the problem as troops do have to travel by vehicles in certain areas.

Shaped charges do make a mess of steel plate but reactive armour was developed to protect against it.

SunnySideUp 29 January 2010 05:29 PM

And Tandem charges are used to defeat reactive armour .... the terrorists weapons do not have to be very sophisticated to kill, it's a difficult thing to defeat.

Scoob99 30 January 2010 12:00 AM

BTTT!!!!!!!!!

Adrian F 30 January 2010 12:28 AM

But the insurgents aren't using tandem shaped charges, from what i understand most IED's are just remote fired explosives buried in the terrain with anti-handling circuits fitted to try and catch out the bomb disposal guys.

A shaped charge requires a delivery system against the vehicle and is no use if fired in a wall against a vehicle 2 metres away, they are using basic methods so a decent protected vehicle would significantly reduce the casualties but then again we have a long history of sending men to war with out the required kit and watching them die to save money we did with the cavalry in WWI and with aeroplanes and Tanks in WWII

jods 30 January 2010 09:31 AM

signed the official .gov petition

Trout 30 January 2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9186928)
Do these petitions ever work i have done loads never ever seen a result.

Oh done btw:)

The more you sign the more men in dark glasses follow you around - haven't you noticed them?

DCI Gene Hunt 30 January 2010 09:54 AM

BOT....(back on topic-ish.... sort of)

The East Kirby Lancaster rides a bit of fun, but as it's just down the road from RAF Coningsby it's worth tieing the two events together and doing the BBMF at the same time, check their display calendar to make sure they'll actually be there though as they can travel a lot during the summer months.

PS - They're not getting cut and they're not short of a few quid either!

Jamie 30 January 2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9190854)
The more you sign the more men in dark glasses follow you around - haven't you noticed them?

No i just thought i was paranoid :lol1:

There is no spoon.

what would scooby do 30 January 2010 10:09 AM

Lemmings

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - News

Trout 30 January 2010 10:37 AM

So while you are voting watch out for any emails suggesting Osama Bin Laden Hanged - it contains the worst virus ever known to man*

* Suicidal stupidity!

Leslie 30 January 2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 9190885)

Thats a relief!

Les :)

Scoob99 31 January 2010 04:23 PM

Wow, that is a releif!!!:)
Cheers
Colin