ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Good guys don't die young here, they just get banned! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/800501-the-good-guys-dont-die-young-here-they-just-get-banned.html)

ALi-B 16 November 2009 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9053583)
whatever.... theres two sides of looking at anything.. well three if you count the 'official , sitting on the fence view'..

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ml#post8736991

Although I'm not privvy to his rantings in the "other" place :)

Dan Gleebits 16 November 2009 11:28 PM

Like I said, Ali.. an opinion.. many others have voiced similar...

*edit* .. what 'Other Place'?

ALi-B 16 November 2009 11:31 PM

The last person who I recalled that directly insulted Stu was banned and then unbanned after he apologised.

Dan Gleebits 16 November 2009 11:36 PM

how can you 'un-apologise' if you cant even post on the forum ?

you mean someone would have to email the guy personally?Or at very least create a dummy/alias account and cow-tow? and how many would do that, not just to Stu, but to any mod /admin of any site? Ive never known it in any of the years moderating on any forums ive had the priviledge( loosely worded term) to be involved with .

And you as well as I know the character that was 'Gene' would hardly be one to go cap in hand...

Funkii Munkii 16 November 2009 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9053289)
PSL is part of the fabric .... has been since the very first 'Gay Gold Wheel' post way back in June 2000 - that was when it bacame clear that some people take life a tad too serious and a great amount of fun could be extracted from that simple fact.

But, alas, he is no longer a wind-up chappie ..... but a steady, reliable, upright member of the SN Community.

:D

Why dont you just come back as PS Lewis ? all this Sunny side up stuff doesn't have the same notoriety does it. ;)

Lisawrx 16 November 2009 11:47 PM

There's no need to go cap in hand entirely.

There isn't necessarily a need to say you never felt a certain way, just in the heat of the moment, then looking back, the complaint(s) could have been phrased better.

Just to back down on how a situation was handled, doesn't mean you back down on an opinion. I guess it really depends on what exactly went on, and more importantly, if 'Gene' is that bothered about coming back.

He would really need to set up an appeal account/alternative account to do it, I'd think that would be the easiest way.

cossie-nutter 16 November 2009 11:49 PM

I think PSL is funny as fook! :D

Dan Gleebits 16 November 2009 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 9053624)
There's no need to go cap in hand entirely.

There isn't necessarily a need to say you never felt a certain way, just in the heat of the moment, then looking back, the complaint(s) could have been phrased better.

Just to back down on how a situation was handled, doesn't mean you back down on an opinion. I guess it really depends on what exactly went on, and more importantly, if 'Gene' is that bothered about coming back.

He would really need to set up an appeal account/alternative account to do it, I'd think that would be the easiest way.

Thanks Lisa , although using 'Gene' as an example, I really doubt he would last too long over here now anyway, theres too many he's upset that would have his card marked so would only be a matter of time..
its just a shame that some of the older/funnier/wiser/wittier users are Persona Non Gratis here these days..:freak3:

Martin2005 16 November 2009 11:55 PM

Could somebody please tell me why folk are getting banned?

I know that we fall out from time to time but I don't understand what is going on with all this banning, I know I'm not in the SN 'circle of trust' but I'm confused by this and other similar threads

ALi-B 16 November 2009 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9053608)
how can you 'un-apologise' if you cant even post on the forum ?

you mean someone would have to email the guy personally?Or at very least create a dummy/alias account and cow-tow? and how many would do that, not just to Stu, but to any mod /admin of any site? Ive never known it in any of the years moderating on any forums ive had the priviledge( loosely worded term) to be involved with .

And you as well as I know the character that was 'Gene' would hardly be one to go cap in hand...

We do allow appeal accounts (the method of appeals is stated in the rules): but using it to post on the forum and carry on a vendetta will just pave the way to a extended ban.

Cap in hand you say: Live by the sword die by the sword.

Your right though, an apology is a rare thing. But if someone is willing to step back, look at what they posted and the language they used (of which is probably deleted ;) ) and admit that they went too far. Then that person will gain a hell of alot more respect and admiration than someone who skulks around using alias accounts to troll in petty spite

It takes someone with integrity to apologise and rebuild bridges and to try meet common ground. Something that is just not in some people's nature.

(I think its a male dominance thing; Probably some instinct dating back to when we were cavemen or something when disputes were settled by headbutting each other).

Martin2005 16 November 2009 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9053639)
We do allow appeal accounts (the method of appeals is stated in the rules): but using it to post on the forum and carry on a vendetta will just pave the way to a extended ban.

Cap in hand you say: Live by the sword die by the sword.

Your right though, an apology is a rare thing. But if someone is willing to step back, look at what they posted and the language they used (of which is probably deleted ;) ) and admit that they went too far. Then that person will gain a hell of alot more respect and admiration than someone who skulks around using alias accounts to troll in petty spite

It takes someone with integrity to apologise and rebuild bridges and to try meet common ground. Something that is just not in some people's nature.

(I think its a male dominance thing; Probably some instinct dating back to when we were cavemen or something when disputes were settled by headbutting each other).

I blame solar activity;):lol1:

ALi-B 17 November 2009 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9053637)
Could somebody please tell me why folk are getting banned?

I know that we fall out from time to time but I don't understand what is going on with all this banning, I know I'm not in the SN 'circle of trust' but I'm confused by this and other similar threads

Were you around when we had user issued infractions?

Back then more normal users were getting banned than spammers :lol1:

Dan Gleebits 17 November 2009 12:02 AM

Im liking the headbutting suggestion, Ali..

ALi-B 17 November 2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9053645)
I blame solar activity;):lol1:

Distracted by the world outside Scoobynet :o

(or the TV in my case ;) )

Martin2005 17 November 2009 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9053647)

Yes I was and I got infracted twice, both times quite wrongly, but you guys did F all about it

Dan Gleebits 17 November 2009 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9053647)

that was only because the lunatics were allowed to take over the asylum.
chaos reigned for a while, the keyboard Ninjas had a field day.
theres been a lot of changes to this board in the few years Ive been around, not all of them for the good.

Lisawrx 17 November 2009 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9053634)
Thanks Lisa , although using 'Gene' as an example, I really doubt he would last too long over here now anyway, theres too many he's upset that would have his card marked so would only be a matter of time..
its just a shame that some of the older/funnier/wiser/wittier users are Persona Non Gratis here these days..:freak3:

I'm not sure. I always had time for him, and he did stand up for me in times gone by, which I appreciated.

I still will never understand why people find other people they don't 'like' so hard to ignore, as opposed to getting upset by them so much. It also amuses me that some people will get all het up about what someone posts (that they don't like), but also want total freedom of speech. SN can be a funny place at times. So long as some respect is shown, each to their own.

I can't speak for older posters, as I will be honest and say I genuinely don't know all the ins and outs. Some will probably jump on that and think I'm a bad mod, hopefully it just makes me impartial.

As for 'Gene', if he wants to come back, then all I can suggest is he maybe contacts Stu, and merely says he could have gone about things better.

ALi-B 17 November 2009 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9053648)
Im liking the headbutting suggestion, Ali..

:lol1:

I had this pictured in my mind when I typed it: Dailymotion - Il Gene Simpson - a Film & TV video

(Sorry about the Italian; google couldn't find an english one: probably vaped by Fox :mad: )

ALi-B 17 November 2009 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9053651)
Yes I was and I got infracted twice, both times quite wrongly, but you guys did F all about it

I wasn't a moderator back then (nor Lisa), and Stu wasn't in charge. IIRC the only person with the admin rights to reverse them was SDB the old webmaster (ex-webby).

As a consequence I was 1 point off a ban at one point.

Martin2005 17 November 2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9053659)
I wasn't a moderator back then (nor Lisa), and Stu wasn't in charge. IIRC the only person with the admin rights to reverse them was SDB the old webmaster (ex-webby).

As a consequence I was 1 point off a ban at one point.

The old system was ridiculous and I'm pleased it got changed, it really played into the hands of a few dumbasses.

I like to think I can have a good honest argument without being infracted or banned.

Dan Gleebits 17 November 2009 12:22 AM

Lisa, You'r far from a bad mod ;)
Ali.. you bad boy you.. then again, from a Muppet to a Puppet.. way to go ;)

and up till this point, Ive not been banned. (although i guess im becoming an irritant , keep asking questions, no?.. but then, if places like Muppets was the hive of activity it once was, i wouldnt venture out into Gen or Policy, Id be too busy wibbling )

Lisawrx 17 November 2009 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9053664)
Lisa, You'r far from a bad mod ;)
Ali.. you bad boy you.. then again, from a Muppet to a Puppet.. way to go ;)

and up till this point, Ive not been banned. (although i guess im becoming an irritant , keep asking questions, no?.. but then, if places like Muppets was the hive of activity it once was, i wouldnt venture out into Gen or Policy, Id be too busy wibbling )

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m...982/crazy1.gif

You're not irritating, there is nothing wrong with questions. :thumb:

I have loads, but mine are usually stupid. ;)

I'd say we should try and get muppets going again, but I never had a clue what was going on. :o

Oh and thanks hun. :)

Dan Gleebits 17 November 2009 12:29 AM

Muppets is dead.. even if it were ressurected, it would never be the same, too much water under the bridge now, theres too many Ex Mupps on Life Bans, so it would never work the way it used to.. as for having a clue what Mupps was about, did anyone?

*and, you'r welcome :D

ALi-B 17 November 2009 12:35 AM

Most of my infractions came from me letting my annoyance at what happened in muppets get the better of me. Considering its empty of life now, perhaps my annoyance was justified. :(

Lisawrx 17 November 2009 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9053668)
Muppets is dead.. even if it were ressurected, it would never be the same, too much water under the bridge now, theres too many Ex Mupps on Life Bans, so it would never work the way it used to.. as for having a clue what Mupps was about, did anyone?

*and, you'r welcome :D

Well you lot (and me) will just have to play nicely in NSR. :eek:

Hope you loked my wibble smilie. :D (pinched that off the Midlands crew:o)

Will 17 November 2009 12:40 AM

:sleep:

:D:D:D:D:D

TelBoy 17 November 2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9053639)
Your right

This was a not trying moment then i take it? :razz:

Looks awful. :)

Trout 17 November 2009 01:31 PM

Wow!! :eek:

Dan Gleebits 17 November 2009 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9053673)
Most of my infractions came from me letting my annoyance at what happened in muppets get the better of me. Considering its empty of life now, perhaps my annoyance was justified. :(

And just look at'cha now! :lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

New_scooby_04 17 November 2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9053662)
The old system was ridiculous and I'm pleased it got changed, it really played into the hands of a few dumbasses.

I like to think I can have a good honest argument without being infracted or banned.

http://www.zilefile.com/files/268_1r...20yourself.jpg

;) :D

*Mod hat on*

I'm citing Martin, just to orientate my post; the following is not directed at him.

You can: no one is ever infracted JUST for having an opinion.

All we ask is that you put it over in a civil manner i.e. don't insult or be abusive/disrespectful to others.

It's a two way street: if you want to be able to express your views without getting flamed, you have to be prepared to let others express theirs and extend them the same courtesy.

If you start getting nasty, whether it's directed at the webteam, or other members of the BBS, and you wind up in hot water.....well, we're not gonna have much sympathy for you really!

If that's your bag, might I suggest Youtube? ;) :D

Ali has already said it, but if you live by the sword, you die by it!