ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Project 500 (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/786326-project-500-a.html)

Shmerman 28 August 2009 09:43 AM

Project 500

I have selling off many part of my car recently. This is to make way for the next stage of developments

My goal is 500bhp and 470lbft.

The engine spec is as follows.

2.0CDB machined to take the later crank
EJ257 crank
Longer Rods
Lateral custom pistons (crank, rods pistons from lateral = Stroker)
ALC bearings
New oil modine
7**cc injectors
headers
lift pump
Bosch 044 fuel pump
swirl pot
catch can
STi3 heads
twin plate exedy racing clutch
undicided turbo (MD321V, S206 maybe)
rotated IM
HKS FMIC
Baffled sump
Zero sport thermostat
SX or fuel labs FPR
Parallel fuel rails

Because its going to have much more power than original I want it to look a bit more aggressive too. So, I also plan on doing a wide body conversion to the car, keeping it 4 door. I am not trying to make this a 22b replica but i do love the look of the arches on them.

Due to the cost of the project it is going to take me sometime to complete so please have patience and I will update it as and when required.

Shmerman 28 August 2009 09:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I have declaired my car SORN so I can remove all the parts I no longer need and so i can work on it.

It was my daily driver so I have bought myself a little van.

Attachment 65426

I think Andy must have seen me tearing up the quater in this and changed his paint scheme the very next day! Rapid citreon power.

My car is now on axle stands and a little less under the bonnet!

Attachment 65427

Attachment 65428

Attachment 65429

Shmerman 28 August 2009 09:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought an knackered engine, suspected piston (#4) failure.
Attachment 65430

Started stripping the engine

I struggled a little to remove the crank pully. I did look at buying the service tools from subaru - camshaft sprocket wrench but this was £48.53
I improvised a little and managed to get it undun.

Attachment 65431

Buggered my fork though :S
Attachment 65432

Shmerman 29 August 2009 05:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did realise after that it might be easier to have immobilise the flywheel but this was another challenge in itself! the crankshaft stopper subaru ST costs £68.19!!

I got to work on removeing the heads,
Attachment 65433
I used the cam belt and mole grips on the cam wheels so I could remove them. I then niticed that one of the cam shaft seals had come away. I don't know what implications this would have had...?

Attachment 65434
Attachment 65435

Shmerman 29 August 2009 05:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have never stripped an engine down before so I was good to see. Especially when I removed the sump. I knew about the oil surge issues a subaru can have once setup correct on some track tires but having seen the pickup and inside of a sump first hand I understand that bit more.

Attachment 65437

When removing one of the bolts from the top of the block I instantly knew it had been cross threaded. I reckon this is how it left the factory!!

Attachment 65438

Next it was time to tackle the flywheel. I found that the turbo/up pipe bracket to the bell housing is perfect tool.

Attachment 65439

Shmerman 29 August 2009 05:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
when I remove the flywheel I found some debris in the bell housing...
Attachment 65440
Attachment 65441
Attachment 65442
I have since been told that the gearbox was hungry ans ingested the inspection cover.

After removing the heads, the pistons look ok. Maybe the rings are shot? Will see when I get them out.
Attachment 65443
Attachment 65444 Attachment 65445

Shmerman 29 August 2009 05:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been polishing an alternator in any spare time I have

Attachment 65446
Attachment 65447
Attachment 65448

Shmerman 29 August 2009 05:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have been buying a few items in anticipation.

Got some STi3 heads. These have the most aggressive cams as stock

Attachment 65449
Attachment 65450

Also got a nice looking catch can

Attachment 65451

Got a HKS front mount with pipework for a rotated inlet manifold
Attachment 65452
Attachment 65453

I did order a full set of brembo's but think the seller was a scammer :@

Shmerman 29 August 2009 05:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I set about removing the pistons today.

To remove the gudgeon pins I used one of the battery things. I fed it throught the access hole and "pushed" the pin on the other side of the block out.
Piston 4 was first. This was the cylinder that I assume was low on compression.

You can see form the pictures why....

Attachment 65454

Attachment 65455

The bore looks like it has had a slight scrape. Hopefully its nothing that cant be sorted.

Attachment 65456

I then removed the rest of the pistons. Because the engine wasattached to a stand I couldn't use the improved tool to push the pin out. I put the rod through the pin and then stuck the bolt on the end of it. I could then "pull" the gudgeon pin out :)

Attachment 65457

I found out the the block has underpiston oil squirters too. I didn't know these were on EJ20's I thought they were just on the EJ22T

Attachment 65458

Shmerman 29 August 2009 05:25 PM

Tim has kindly pointed out that "All the closed deck EJ20 blocks have oil squirters, on the EJ22T CDB it's only the US Legacy versions that have squirters, the 22b blocks don't "

Cheers :)

shawy1976 29 August 2009 08:02 PM

what gearbox are you using mike ? seen as though i can see all the effort your putting into the alternator i have a i starter here i have reconed which you can have as i,m going 6 speed now
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...6/IMG_0534.jpg

Shmerman 29 August 2009 08:35 PM

Thanks Neil, thats a generous offer.

I have sold the PPG box now and i'm putting a 6sp MY07 box in :D

I did read yesterday that the 5sp and 6sp starter motors were the same part number. Weired because I know you have to swap the starter if using a 6speed flywheel/clutch.

Shmerman 29 August 2009 09:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got down to splitting the engine. This wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be.
There were a few sneaky bolts that could easilty be missed, one in the bell housing (was covered in crap so difficult to spot) and another another small one in the sump area.

Attachment 65459

Attachment 65460

Attachment 65461

Attachment 65462

Attachment 65463

All the bearing look in good shape crank is unmarked.
Obviously one of the pistons is scrap but what about the rest of the internals?
Is this worth selling on, or whould I just weigh it in?

shawy1976 29 August 2009 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shmerman (Post 8911037)
Thanks Neil, thats a generous offer.

I have sold the PPG box now and i'm putting a 6sp MY07 box in :D

I did read yesterday that the 5sp and 6sp starter motors were the same part number. Weired because I know you have to swap the starter if using a 6speed flywheel/clutch.

They look totally diffrent and the 6 speeder is much lighter , i,ve heard a bit of filling and they fit , the 6 speeder has a nose cone around the pinion and isnt a contact starter it has a standard type solenoid :).

shawy1976 29 August 2009 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a pic of the 6 speed starter
Attachment 65641

GazJenno 29 August 2009 11:06 PM

The bore looks like it has had a slight scrape. Hopefully its nothing that cant be sorted.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...n/DSC00438.jpg
Is it my eyes or does that have a big hole in the cylinder liner near the top of the photo?

Gaz

Shmerman 29 August 2009 11:16 PM

I can't see it myself, could be crap on the camera lense.

GazJenno 30 August 2009 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I brightened it up to see if it makes it abit clearer... I dunno if it is a hole and hope for your sake it aint!

Attachment 65436

Gaz

GazJenno 30 August 2009 12:11 AM

or is that oil... lol :freak3: I'll keep quiet! :Whatever_

Shmerman 30 August 2009 01:12 AM

yeah thats just oil. ;)

Shmerman 09 October 2009 11:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I haven't updated in a while so here goes.

Most of the drivetrain is out now. I have sold the PPG pox to a gut in Sweden. It cost £220 to ship - if anyone wants the details of the courier just give me a shout.

Not a great deal of progress to the car itself as it took me a whole day to remove one hub!! Every nut/bolt I came too didn't want to budge. I broke 2 ratchets (2/3" drive) and have a bruise the size of a fist on the back of my arm where the creeper decided to bite me :(
I ended up taking the hub, drive shaft, and lateral arms off as one. I think I will try and source some uprated STi link arms. The bushes have seized on the bolt and I really cant be @rsed with all the messing about when I would probbly uprate them in the future anyway.

How its looking now

Attachment 65464

Attachment 65465

Shmerman 09 October 2009 11:40 PM

9 Attachment(s)
other jobs i have been doing is just tarting a few bits up. All the intercooler pipework was in need of a clean up. I have also been cleaning up the inlet manifolds I have. My phase 1.5 that I will be putting back on the car and a spare phase 1 IM that I am cleanig up.

IC pipework pics aren't really that great
Attachment 65466

Attachment 65467

Attachment 65468

Attachment 65469

I few thinks I have been buying -
MY07 UK DCCD 6speed gearbox
Attachment 65470

os geiken twin plate clutch
Attachment 65471

some v4 STi clocks
Attachment 65472

Carbon bootlid
Attachment 65473
Attachment 65474

beef-on-the-bone 09 October 2009 11:53 PM

some wedge spent there!!!!

The Stitcher 10 October 2009 07:47 AM

great project and great thread fella :thumb: will be watching with intrest, have you thought about how you will run the dccd ?? or you just leaving it ? as i have a dccd 6 speed box too but not sure how to go about it as they say newtronics controler would be the best :) keep up the good work :thumb:

Shmerman 12 October 2009 05:53 PM

I will be getting a neetronics controller for it.

Getting it from Cotcomp Home - they are not too far away from me and its the only place I will take my car too. They are UK distributors for neetronics and will be fitting it myself.

Shmerman 17 October 2009 08:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have decided to remove the ABS system on my car. A number of issues has brought me to this decision.

1, I have a DCCD box and have heard/read under certain conditions DCCD and ABS don't get along
2, the hubs I have are off a newage STi that didnt have ABS (I presume it must have been the spec c?)
3, wouldn't mind the weight saving

So on to the next update.
I have now removed all the driveshafts and hubs with rear lateral link arms gone also. Rear diff gone and replaced with the R180. Now got the gearbox in (I had a mate help me with it but he dropped it - good job I had my head in the way to stop it hitting the ground!) Prop in but im a bush and bolt short from the prop support bracket :(

R160 vs R180
Attachment 65475
Attachment 65476

Box in :D

Attachment 65477
Attachment 65478

Shmerman 05 November 2009 11:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Update time.

I haven't really been able to spend much time on the car recently - I have had other jobs on as well as working full time (on shifts) and doing a masters course part time - so i have been spending some more money

I have got the front brakes - AP racing calipers with 330mm disks so that I can run 17" on the track.

Attachment 65479

I have got my hands on some pro race 1.2's. These are 17x9" so I can run decent width tyres and fill the wide arches nicely. The offset i am unclear about ATM. I am told they are ET40 from the seller but in the same centance he has told me that TD say they are ET23. There are only 3 of them so i will get another one made up.

Attachment 65480

I have got a 22b replica bumper. It has taken a knowck on the under side and has seen better days. I am going to do some work on this to bring it back to a decent condition.

Attachment 65481

some pics of the damage/cracks in the gel coat/stonechips
Attachment 65482
Attachment 65483
Attachment 65484

Shmerman 21 March 2010 10:54 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I never managed to resolve the carbon boot fit so have put a standard one on for now with a low level spoiler.

the car looking a bit sorry Attachment 65485

I did start cleaning the block with a steam cleaner. This was taking a very long time. I stuck the block in the dishwasher to try to speed the cleaning process up :)
Attachment 65486
Attachment 65487

Been buying a few more goodies.

2.1 Stroker kit
Attachment 65488

Whiteline fully adjustable rear control arms
Attachment 65489

Lateral modified injectors
Attachment 65490

what.......a standard ecu?? nope, simtek with LC and AL
Attachment 65491

HKS 3" back box.....i think this might be a little too loud for my (or the neighbours) liking.
Attachment 65492

Shmerman 21 March 2010 10:55 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I haven't touched that car for quite some time. I made a start on removing the ABS.

Pump and stock bias valve
Attachment 65493

left with the pipes
Attachment 65494

Of course 2 of the fittings were not releasing without a fight. Thanks to Andrew Carr, the fight was over as he lent me his brake spanners. More on the ABS later.

I moved to the rear of the car today hoping to get it built up. I binned the old RCA so I couldn't adjust the whiteline ones to stock setup. They fitted easily enough. I htought I would try and put the braided brake hose that have been sitting in the shed for 2 years. I had been avoiding it becuase I couldn't get the old ones off. Now armed with my dedicated spanners I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue. The offside released without too much effort. The nearside twisted the brake pipe clean off.

Attachment 65495

I had to shorted the pipe slightly and put a new flare on it. Because its shorter it has to be routed slightly different.
Attachment 65496

Thanks once again to Andrew for lending me his flairing kit.

I dont have the long bolt that secures the RCAs to the hub because i had to cut the old ones. the hubs and driveshafts are on/in

Attachment 65497

Also had a little bit of time to make a start on restoring the bumper.
There is evidence of previous repair.
A lot of the crack are around the fog light area.

Attachment 65498

Attachment 65499

I will hopefully get some gel coat resin this week and get cracking.

beef-on-the-bone 22 March 2010 12:34 AM

cracking work!! :)