ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Some classic quotes for you (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/783001-some-classic-quotes-for-you.html)

SwissTony 10 August 2009 01:45 PM

Some classic quotes for you

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...rth/norman.jpg

In a recent interview, General Norman Schwartzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for forgiveness toward the people who have harbored and abetted the terrorists who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks on America.

His answer was classic Schwartzkopf:

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function.

OUR job is to arrange the meeting."

Just watched a documentary about Tony Martin, the Norfolk farmer who fatally shot a burglar. He (Tony Martin) was interviewed for the programme. After a discussion about him getting his Murder conviction dropped to Manslaughter, he disclosed that during that legal process, the Crown objected to him having the murder conviction dropped, because:... 'he was a danger to burglars' :cuckoo:

...and his response... "It wouldn't be a problem if a burglar was walking down a road, it's just when they decide to climb through my windows"
:thumb:

Leslie 10 August 2009 01:51 PM

I'd go along with all of that.

Les :)

_Meridian_ 10 August 2009 04:14 PM

Or perhaps more accurately, climb out of his window in order to run away...

M

stilover 10 August 2009 04:42 PM

Just a shame we aren't like America. They're allowed to shoot the fcukers with their Magnums. Now that would be worth being Burgled for.

SwissTony 10 August 2009 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8873701)
Just a shame we aren't like America. They're allowed to shoot the fcukers with their Magnums. Now that would be worth being Burgled for.

I would have thought they would be eating the magnums the fat ****ers :)

NotoriousREV 10 August 2009 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by _Meridian_ (Post 8873675)
Or perhaps more accurately, climb out of his window in order to run away...

M

He had to have climbed in to need to climb out.

_Meridian_ 11 August 2009 06:18 AM

True, but the difference between shooting someone climbing in and climbing out is the difference between defending your property and murder.

M

BOB.T 11 August 2009 06:47 AM

What are you, are scumbag trade union rep? :Suspiciou

A scumbag got pwned, does it matter which way he was going?! :D

Trout 11 August 2009 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8873415)
I'd go along with all of that.

Les :)

Les,

help me understand how that fits with forgiveness? I thought the core of the New Testament was about love and forgiveness. As the Lord himself says it is not about the 99 sheep in the flock, it is the one that has lost its way.

Just curious as to whose role you think judgement is?

Trout :D

Fat Boy 11 August 2009 10:19 AM

LOL

bigsinky 11 August 2009 10:28 AM

Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out

Zod. 11 August 2009 11:00 AM

one I heard the other day....

....'the vagina is a massive and awe inspiring place'.

:D

lightning101 11 August 2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Zod. (Post 8874909)
one I heard the other day....

....'the vagina is a massive and awe inspiring place'.

:D

I thought that the vagina's taxonomy defined it as "the worlds smallest hotel"

Apparently you have to leave your bags outside :(

New_scooby_04 11 August 2009 11:31 AM

One of my favourites:

'Winston, if I were your wife, I'd put poison in your coffee'
'Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it'
- Winston Churchill to Lady Astor

Leslie 11 August 2009 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 8874658)
Les,

help me understand how that fits with forgiveness? I thought the core of the New Testament was about love and forgiveness. As the Lord himself says it is not about the 99 sheep in the flock, it is the one that has lost its way.

Just curious as to whose role you think judgement is?

Trout :D

You do try hard Trout!

Nothing wrong in having a significant punishment for seriously bad actions as much as anything as for deterring those who are tempted to commit crimes.

Do you not think that 9/11 was a really bad thing to do and that it deserves the maximum punishment available?

Do you also think that Martin was wrong to defend his property and his own life as becomes necessary these days from burglars? If someone is going to rob you and is prepared to kill to avoid capture is it not reasonable to defend your own life? The answer as far as the burglar is concerned is simple-don't do it!

It is also an accepted fact in religious circles that the State has the right of the sword!

Forgiveness can be earned by the criminal by his true contrition for his actions and making good the wrongs he has committed. I would expect that to be a pretty rare thing myself.

It was a fair try at a religious troll though Trout:)

Les

_Meridian_ 11 August 2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8874950)
Do you also think that Martin was wrong to defend his property and his own life as becomes necessary these days from burglars? If someone is going to rob you and is prepared to kill to avoid capture is it not reasonable to defend your own life? The answer as far as the burglar is concerned is simple-don't do it!

As I thought I'd explained, Martin was NOT defending either his himself or his property: at the time he opened fire the two burglars were leaving his house, empty-handed. If anyone wants to advocate the Death Penalty for burglary, fine - but do not confuse defence with murder.

M