ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Dodge Nitro (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/776084-dodge-nitro.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 05 July 2009 09:26 AM

Dodge Nitro

Anyone been in one/driven one? They are literally trying to give these away at the moment as one of the garages I was in yesterday was doing new ones for £15k :eek:

Being American they have got a pretty rubbish write up in the UK by all accounts but then they are being compared to the Discovery and the like. Worst point being apparently the wallowy ride but surely at £15k you could afford to mod it.

SimonD 05 July 2009 09:47 AM

Get inside one and see how small cheap and gloomy they are.

NotoriousREV 05 July 2009 09:49 AM

Given that 2 year old ones are going for £8k, the depreciation is pretty disastrous too.

Bravo2zero_sps 05 July 2009 09:55 AM

I'm not even contemplating buying one as I like Jap/German cars and it hasn't got 7 seats but was just surprised they were £15k for a big off roader. That speaks for itself I guess. My neighbour has a Dodge Caliber which he bought from new and has already tried selling it and got no where and think he hates the thing.

Bravo2zero_sps 05 July 2009 12:37 PM

Had a look in one this morning out of curiosity as drove past the dealers on the way to the park and all I can say is my kids fisher price toys have better build quality. The inside is shocking, i've never seen such tacky plastic for a handbrake or centre console and the door trims and dash weren't much better. And once again for the size of the vehicle the boot is actually tiny. I wouldn't pay £5k for one let alone £15k.

SimonD 05 July 2009 02:43 PM

My wife bought a 7-seat Tribeca about 18 months ago. It at least has plenty of space inside and half decent build quality. They are worth next to nothing these days but it makes an excellent family holiday car - the only time I have to drive it - the rest of the time I have my Impreza. I wanted her to get a Legacy but it was her call and it is not as bad as I thought it might be.
Lots of kit, a nice engine (crap gearbox though) and the option of pop-up seats. They are only good for kids and you lose middle row leg-room when they're in use. We only use them 5 or 6 times a year so they are good enough. Ours was one year old with 6k on the clock for £20k, they are a lot cheaper now. If you can live with the looks (not many can:)) and the fuel consumption (even fewer can:)) then they are a lot of car for the money. This is a propper XC90/new X5 size car rather than the Nitro which is more Focus/Golf size on the inside.

.......the Passat is probably a better car though................;)

Bravo2zero_sps 05 July 2009 09:36 PM

Not even seen or heard of one of those before :o Just looked them up and very nice but no way I could live with a 3l petrol engine and auto gear box. Look very nice inside with cream leather but the petrol costs must be horrendous plus still £13-14k starting price for them.

If I was to change it wouldn't be for another couple of months anyway but my 11 year old son today told me absolutely no way am I to sell the scoob and the passat :lol1: