ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Advice on Hawkeye STI with PPP please?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/750675-advice-on-hawkeye-sti-with-ppp-please.html)

elixirsol 04 March 2009 01:51 PM

Advice on Hawkeye STI with PPP please??

Hello peeps,

first post here!!! (In quite a while, anyway)

So, I'm thinking of changing my STI4. I haven't kept up with my Scoob-homework for the last few years... hope someone can help me with picking my next one.

Having done some digging, I *think* I'm looking for a 2006/2007 Hawkeye STI Type UK PPP. I'm a bit confused though... I've seen these advertised with 305bhp, and also with 325bhp? Any idea what the actual figure is?

Also, if anyone has a view on how this newer model might compare to a standard STI4, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

As I said, I'm fairly sure I'm after a hawkeye, but any other suggestions for around the £14K mark would be welcome.

Cheers,
Gareth

ryan_fong 04 March 2009 02:15 PM

14k can buy one really good condition JDM Blobeye, even hawkeye.

I had this debate before, in fact it's just a month ago, and finally I decided to go for the JDM Blobeye.

I'm a happy owner now and glad that I choose JDM.

Always go for the JDM if you can afford one..:)

Butty 04 March 2009 02:21 PM

The 305 figure for pre 2006 2 litre PPP STis. The hawkeye 2.5 litre STi PPP was 316 hp.
If you are not worried about the remaining warranty on a 2006 car then there are cheaper options than PPP and will get you to IRO 340 hp/380 lbft.

I think you'll miss the nimbleness of the STi4 but the solidness and grunt of the newer car will hopefully make up for it.
Can't you find an 06 car to test drive?

nick

elixirsol 04 March 2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ryan_fong (Post 8553577)
14k can buy one really good condition JDM Blobeye, even hawkeye.

I had this debate before, in fact it's just a month ago, and finally I decided to go for the JDM Blobeye.

I'm a happy owner now and glad that I choose JDM.

Always go for the JDM if you can afford one..:)

Glad you're enjoying the Blobeye :) . Have to admit that I prefer the looks of the Blobeye to the Hawkeye...
Just wondering what the main differences were that sold you on the JDM version?

elixirsol 04 March 2009 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Butty (Post 8553593)
The 305 figure for pre 2006 2 litre PPP STis. The hawkeye 2.5 litre STi PPP was 316 hp.
If you are not worried about the remaining warranty on a 2006 car then there are cheaper options than PPP and will get you to IRO 340 hp/380 lbft.

I think you'll miss the nimbleness of the STi4 but the solidness and grunt of the newer car will hopefully make up for it.
Can't you find an 06 car to test drive?

nick

Ah, thanks for the info Nick. Yeah, on a 2006 model, I wouldn't be too worried about warranty. Was just thinking that a standard STi-PPP would be less hassle... Hmmm, so, the Hawkeye is less nimble, eh?... Maybe I'll see what the local dealership has got, that I can test-drive...

Ta!

ryan_fong 04 March 2009 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by elixirsol (Post 8553655)
Glad you're enjoying the Blobeye :) . Have to admit that I prefer the looks of the Blobeye to the Hawkeye...
Just wondering what the main differences were that sold you on the JDM version?

twin scroll turbo
rear wiper
quick steering rack
stronger internal components

You know what, I'm not the expert because I've just got my scooby for 2 weeks..:oops:
So you better wait for some experts to show up and give you more advises..:)
Good luck mate..:thumb:

elixirsol 04 March 2009 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ryan_fong (Post 8553676)
twin scroll turbo
rear wiper
quick steering rack

You know what, I'm not the expert because I've just got my scooby for 2 weeks..:oops:
So you better wait for some experts to show up and give you more advises..:)
Good luck mate..:thumb:

:lol1: lol... may be just 2 weeks, but you know more than me! Thanks for the help.

JAKEsti 04 March 2009 04:13 PM

I went for 2006 Hawkeye 2.5 STI UK with PPP as stated it has 316BHP

with 14K you will have a top choice mine was 14K in Oct 2008 with 3000 mile on it full Subaru History etc etc from Souls Subaru Olney

That was before mega meltdown of everything on the planet so with 14K now you will be laughing:lol1:

I carn't say enough about the Hawkeye - I love it having owed PPP blobeye WRX and PPP peanut WRX previously

However I dont have any experience with the Jap spec cars so go for test drive in each etc you won't go wrong with either:luxhello:

beal 04 March 2009 05:23 PM

This one is absolutely mint;)
Sheffield Scoobys :: View topic - my07 sti type uk in white very rare colour £15750

cster 04 March 2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by beal (Post 8553984)

Nice!

JAKEsti 04 March 2009 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by beal (Post 8553984)

STUNNING:luvlove:

STi_Si 04 March 2009 05:28 PM

You could have a hawkeye Spec C with that sort of money.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/888444.htm

PantsUK 04 March 2009 09:14 PM

I'm totally depressed ....... they are faaaaar tooooo cheap!

Spec C for me although that white STI is bloomin lovely!

JDM or UK you'll love it! If you're going JDM you might as well buy a hawkeye!

elixirsol 05 March 2009 09:43 AM

Yeah, that white one is very tasty :p ... no PPP though, so might need to up the power.
Gawd, just realising what a novice I am at this new-age lark... :lol1: "Spec C"??? :confused: right, I'm off to do some Googling...

simpsons ! 05 March 2009 12:46 PM

I have MY06 STi with PPP and love it!

Simpsons !

PantsUK 05 March 2009 01:23 PM

Don't bother with the PPP mine had it and rollered at 295 had it remapped to 274 at the wheels so around 330-340 also the map is much smoother with an extra 5000rpm usable + better fuel economy!

elixirsol 05 March 2009 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by simpsons ! (Post 8555832)
I have MY06 STi with PPP and love it!

Simpsons !

You don't want to p/ex it for an old STi4, do you? :D

simpsons ! 05 March 2009 02:23 PM

I'll post up some piccys tonight.:thumb:

elixirsol 05 March 2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by PantsUK (Post 8555923)
Don't bother with the PPP mine had it and rollered at 295 had it remapped to 274 at the wheels so around 330-340 also the map is much smoother with an extra 5000rpm usable + better fuel economy!

Just wondering, you had it remapped "on top of" (if that makes sense) the PPP? So, no extra mechanical changes?

Anything that makes the power more usable, sounds good to me. Where did you get the remapping done?

Sorry for being a dimwit :freak3:... the help is much appreciated, cheers!

phil_wrx 05 March 2009 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ryan_fong (Post 8553676)
twin scroll turbo

do u get stronger internals than uk cars ? thought uk had forged pistons anyways?

Steve001 05 March 2009 04:39 PM

i upgraded from a bug 02 wrx last week to a 06 hawkeye specD with PPP i knew i was in for a treat....but :eek: the car never seems to stop excelerating! :D I LOVE IT :luvlove:

<cough> i managed to pick mine up for £12,600 with a years subaru waranty also has the prodrive springs and a nice pioneer head unit/sat nav with 6 cd changer <cough>

so with 14K you can pick and choose from whatever takes your fancy :thumb:

steve

s70rjw 05 March 2009 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by elixirsol (Post 8556048)
Just wondering, you had it remapped "on top of" (if that makes sense) the PPP? So, no extra mechanical changes?

Anything that makes the power more usable, sounds good to me. Where did you get the remapping done?

The PPP map is generic. A remap will normally give far better results as the remap is specific to your car. PPP cars rarely make the claimed figures. I've had 2 which differed massively. Now my car is outof warranty it will soon be remapped. Bob

simpsons ! 05 March 2009 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by simpsons ! (Post 8556047)
I'll post up some piccys tonight.:thumb:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...DSC_0012-2.jpg

PantsUK 05 March 2009 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by elixirsol (Post 8556048)

Well I fitted a bigger exhaust but I can't see that making any difference so yes other than that it was the same. If you can get PPP without spending much more for it do it I'm sure it'll help with resale value but getting a custom remap ontop of the prodrive map for me was the best upgrade I've done.

As far as remap goes my choice now would have been to go open source..... I should have done that in the first place but went ecutek. Mocom are very good for open source!

elixirsol 06 March 2009 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 8556325)
i upgraded from a bug 02 wrx last week to a 06 hawkeye specD with PPP i knew i was in for a treat....but :eek: the car never seems to stop excelerating! :D I LOVE IT :luvlove:

<cough> i managed to pick mine up for £12,600 with a years subaru waranty also has the prodrive springs and a nice pioneer head unit/sat nav with 6 cd changer <cough>

so with 14K you can pick and choose from whatever takes your fancy :thumb:

steve

Hi Steve,
I saw a couple of specD's on Auto Trader without realising what they were... I expect that going slightly "covert" :cool: (or just plain sneaky!), can be alot of fun ;) hehe

Sounds like I should be able to find something decent for 14K, then... that's good news :)
Gareth

elixirsol 06 March 2009 09:45 AM

Bob, PantsUK,
thanks for the info guys, definitely sounds like a remap is a good idea.

Really getting quite itchy to find a car now! :)

Gareth

elixirsol 06 March 2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by simpsons ! (Post 8557461)
<snip>

Phwoarrrrr!!! :luvlove:

Nice one! Looks great in black... :notworthy

Gareth

Steve001 06 March 2009 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by elixirsol (Post 8558077)
Hi Steve,
I saw a couple of specD's on Auto Trader without realising what they were... I expect that going slightly "covert" :cool: (or just plain sneaky!), can be alot of fun ;) hehe

Sounds like I should be able to find something decent for 14K, then... that's good news :)
Gareth

'Covert' i like the sound of that :D and 'sneaky' ;):lol1: from the outside its just the brembos that give the game away :)

'Stealth' is another good word, like an F16 on your six, then....... BOO! :D

take your time there loads out there

good luck Steve

simpsons ! 06 March 2009 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by elixirsol (Post 8558096)
Phwoarrrrr!!! :luvlove:

Nice one! Looks great in black... :notworthy

Gareth

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...DSC_0005-1.jpg

Another for you!

Luckyscoob 06 March 2009 08:51 PM

I have a mate with a 2006 STi with PPP and tbh I was quite surprised that it didnt feel much , if any quicker than my 2006 STi, with a panel filter, and afterburner centre and rear box. I def wouldnt pay the extra 1500 for the difference. Def go remap, big difference and smoother drive.

Another vote for BLACK!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...cture060-1.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ocation017.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ocation008.jpg