ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   My BT Broadband speed crashed (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/745524-my-bt-broadband-speed-crashed.html)

StickyMicky 11 February 2009 06:48 PM

My BT Broadband speed crashed

Last night, the broadband went off, and when it finally reconnected, my speeds dropped from 4.5mb to 512k :confused:

i figured i would leave it 24 hours to see if it gets any better, but as i speak now, the router is showing 448k download speed (confirmed with a speed test site)

i found this thread via google
BT Broadband speed problem!, Any Help? - AVForums.com

seams like some others are in the same boat ?

ScoobyWon't 11 February 2009 08:07 PM

I had the same experience in August. It's still not fixed as the local exchange is over-subscribed and BT do not know when it will be upgraded :rolleyes:

StickyMicky 12 February 2009 09:28 AM

sync speed has went back up to 4.7mb but the actual download speeds are still 0.5mb :cuckoo:

really can not be bothered to hassle the call centre :(

LostUser 12 February 2009 12:03 PM

If your sync speed has just gone up then it could take 24-48 hours for the profile of your line (which dictates your actual download speed) to get in to line with the sync speed.

StickyMicky 13 February 2009 09:17 PM

still no improvement, i have just ran the BT speed tester

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 4576 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 440 kbps

GC8 14 February 2009 02:25 AM

It might be that the speed has been dropped in an attempt to keep your connection. When youve been connected for 24+ hours the speed should come back: but Ive never seen this with a call...

hutton_d 14 February 2009 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 8503587)
sync speed has went back up to 4.7mb but the actual download speeds are still 0.5mb :cuckoo:

really can not be bothered to hassle the call centre :(

Just fixed a *similar* problem. Turned out to be my computer's network settings. I downloaded a tool called 'tcpoptimizer.exe'. Used it to set my PC's tcp settings to 'optimal' and my download speeds improved 5 to 7 times.

I'd not noticed a real problem except that download speeds weren't any faster than my old house even though my router says I now have the full 8Mb/s rather than the 2 (ish) I had before. Then I noticed that an old computer I was reloaded for a friend was downloading much faster than my own computer so thought I'd better check it out! Used the above tool and all is no well .....

Get it from Download TCPOptimizer.exe Free

Normallt from www.speedguide.net/ but this one seems to be down this morning.

Hope that helps

Dave

StickyMicky 14 February 2009 06:05 PM

doubtfull its a pc problems as my

xbox
laptop
desktop
the missus laptop
nokia n93

are all suffering :)

in fact i can log on to next doors unsecured network via my laptop and get 6mb download speeds :rolleyes:

still no change today, will leave it this weekend and then give them a call on monday.

LostUser 14 February 2009 06:12 PM

FYI, they will ask you to try swapping microfilters and plugging the router directly to the master socket. Probably with the faceplate removed (if you've got the right type) to isolate the other sockets.

Then they ask you to leave it like that for 48 hours.

hodgy0_2 14 February 2009 06:30 PM

also it might be worth disconnect the line completely from the wall socket
for at least 20 mins

this forces the circuits at the BT exchange to "tear" down -- so that when you reconnect your router they get set up again which should set up a totally new circuit at the exchange

StickyMicky 14 February 2009 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 8509728)
also it might be worth disconnect the line completely from the wall socket
for at least 20 mins

this forces the circuits at the BT exchange to "tear" down -- so that when you reconnect your router they get set up again which should set up a totally new circuit at the exchange

i never knew this, i will unplug the router overnight :D

cheers!

StickyMicky 14 February 2009 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by LostUser (Post 8509705)
FYI, they will ask you to try swapping microfilters and plugging the router directly to the master socket. Probably with the faceplate removed (if you've got the right type) to isolate the other sockets.

Then they ask you to leave it like that for 48 hours.

i did try plugging straight into the test socket yesterday, but it made no difference, we don't even have a home phone that we plug into the system (broadband only and we both use our mobiles intead of having a home line in use)

haroldhettaturbo 14 February 2009 11:16 PM

Think you need to get your ip profile set back to 4.5.

Someware on the bt website it tells u how to do this.

StickyMicky 15 February 2009 08:46 AM

unplugged the router overnight, no idea if this had any effect or not but this morning i got this result from the bt speed test

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 4256 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3215 kbps

so at least it is now going up :D not sure if sunday morning is considered a "peak" time or not?

might be able to play on the xbox again now :D

512k broadband for 4 days was painful as hell, however did we manage back in 56k days :cuckoo: