ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   ING Direct (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/744403-ing-direct.html)

SunnySideUp 07 February 2009 02:36 PM

ING Direct

Safe?

They have taken over my Kaupthing Edge account ... are offering me 4% on my savings - pretty good these days. This applies for 6 months.

They look quite safe, anyone any doubt about their viability?

spireite 07 February 2009 02:59 PM

ING Direct > Home > The world's leading direct savings bank

they'll even give you £20 if you open a new account

SunnySideUp 07 February 2009 03:16 PM

They have already opened my account for me :(

oldsplice 07 February 2009 03:16 PM

Mr OS has been with them for a few years. :thumb:

Abdabz 07 February 2009 03:18 PM

Safe unless you are investing over (is it) 30 or 50k as that much is safe from anything...
I an with them - have been for years. That said, they are fast becoming a little smelly. They offer new customers deals that their existing customers cant have. As soon as you threaten to leave they offer you better savings... I know business is business but it isnt impressive.
Also, they charge you a wopping £1 per month just to set up the facility to move money from and to your ing account online, even if you dont use the facility.
So they are competitive, secure, but beginning to lose their image of excellence in customer care...

Dieseldog 07 February 2009 03:31 PM

I believe ING covers you up to 100,000 Euros... ING FAQ's, courtesy of the Dutch Deposit Guarantee Scheme...

... in theory!

I just think with ING being so big, we'll all have a lot more to worry about if they go bust... I prefer them to the Nigerian and Indian banks that offer decent rates...

SunnySideUp 07 February 2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Abdabz (Post 8489960)
Also, they charge you a wopping £1 per month just to set up the facility to move money from and to your ing account online, even if you dont use the facility..

WHAT!!!???

I didn't see that and I am normally pretty hot on small print ..... I'm going to take another look ................................. VVVVVV

Edit:- Just looked to see evidence of this £1 charge and there does not appear to be a charge?? Could you point me to where it states the £1 a month charge??

Their words:- "There are no charges for setting up your ING Direct Savings Account or for withdrawing funds from it. You can transfer money to and from your account as you wish, with no catches and no penalties"

Seems pretty OK to me! :D

GC8 07 February 2009 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Abdabz (Post 8489960)
Safe unless you are investing over (is it) 30 or 50k as that much is safe from anything...
I an with them - have been for years. That said, they are fast becoming a little smelly. They offer new customers deals that their existing customers cant have. As soon as you threaten to leave they offer you better savings... I know business is business but it isnt impressive.
Also, they charge you a wopping £1 per month just to set up the facility to move money from and to your ing account online, even if you dont use the facility.
So they are competitive, secure, but beginning to lose their image of excellence in customer care...

Maybe they check postcodes, think 'hmmm, bet theyre soft' and move you onto poorer rates? That didnt happen to me, with my Yorkshire postcode.....