ING Direct

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2009, 02:36 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ING Direct

Safe?

They have taken over my Kaupthing Edge account ... are offering me 4% on my savings - pretty good these days. This applies for 6 months.

They look quite safe, anyone any doubt about their viability?
Old 07 February 2009, 02:59 PM
spireite
BANNED

ING Direct > Home > The world's leading direct savings bank

they'll even give you £20 if you open a new account
Old 07 February 2009, 03:16 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

They have already opened my account for me
Old 07 February 2009, 03:16 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Mr OS has been with them for a few years.
Old 07 February 2009, 03:18 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Safe unless you are investing over (is it) 30 or 50k as that much is safe from anything...
I an with them - have been for years. That said, they are fast becoming a little smelly. They offer new customers deals that their existing customers cant have. As soon as you threaten to leave they offer you better savings... I know business is business but it isnt impressive.
Also, they charge you a wopping £1 per month just to set up the facility to move money from and to your ing account online, even if you dont use the facility.
So they are competitive, secure, but beginning to lose their image of excellence in customer care...
Old 07 February 2009, 03:31 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

I believe ING covers you up to 100,000 Euros... ING FAQ's, courtesy of the Dutch Deposit Guarantee Scheme...

... in theory!

I just think with ING being so big, we'll all have a lot more to worry about if they go bust... I prefer them to the Nigerian and Indian banks that offer decent rates...

Last edited by Dieseldog; 07 February 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07 February 2009, 04:26 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Also, they charge you a wopping £1 per month just to set up the facility to move money from and to your ing account online, even if you dont use the facility..
WHAT!!!???

I didn't see that and I am normally pretty hot on small print ..... I'm going to take another look ................................. VVVVVV

Edit:- Just looked to see evidence of this £1 charge and there does not appear to be a charge?? Could you point me to where it states the £1 a month charge??

Their words:- "There are no charges for setting up your ING Direct Savings Account or for withdrawing funds from it. You can transfer money to and from your account as you wish, with no catches and no penalties"

Seems pretty OK to me!

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 07 February 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07 February 2009, 04:34 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Safe unless you are investing over (is it) 30 or 50k as that much is safe from anything...
I an with them - have been for years. That said, they are fast becoming a little smelly. They offer new customers deals that their existing customers cant have. As soon as you threaten to leave they offer you better savings... I know business is business but it isnt impressive.
Also, they charge you a wopping £1 per month just to set up the facility to move money from and to your ing account online, even if you dont use the facility.
So they are competitive, secure, but beginning to lose their image of excellence in customer care...
Maybe they check postcodes, think 'hmmm, bet theyre soft' and move you onto poorer rates? That didnt happen to me, with my Yorkshire postcode.....