ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Other half about to go on maternity leave, what happens if it the company goes bust? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/741369-other-half-about-to-go-on-maternity-leave-what-happens-if-it-the-company-goes-bust.html)

cookstar 25 January 2009 08:58 PM

Other half about to go on maternity leave, what happens if it the company goes bust?

As above the other half is about to start her maternity leave in the next couple of weeks, taking her full holiday entitlement then onto statutory maternity leave (just under a year)

I understand apart from the holiday entitlement the company can claim back part or all of what they pay her, so her money will be paid by her now employer. But... what happens if the worst happens to her company, will she be able to claim direct from the government?

She is in travel so understanably concerned about the future.

cookstar 26 January 2009 05:40 PM

:wonder:

David Lock 26 January 2009 07:22 PM

In the absence of any knowledgeable replies :) might I suggest

1) Ask the employer

2) Give CAB a ring and if they don't know should be able to point you in the right direction

3) Call up a benefits office although you may be hold for a few days

I don't think the baby will be affected at all, same sex, colour etc. Giggling and burping like a good 'un

dl

Scooby Gal 26 January 2009 08:24 PM

Hiya,

Just to clarify, she is entitled to statutory maternity pay (6 weeks at 90% of her average weekly earnings then 33 weeks at £117.18 until April 09 when it goes up to £123.06 per week). Her leave is separate to this and she can (generally) take up to 12 months off work. This is made up of 26 weeks ordinary maternity leave and 26 week additional maternity leave.

If the company she works for goes into administration, liquidation, etc. she can claim from HMRC the remainder of her maternity pay because she has already paid NI and has therefore earned the right from the government, not her employer, to be paid statutory maternity pay. Best to see the jobcentre or call HMRC directly if this happens.

Hope this helps!

cookstar 26 January 2009 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Gal (Post 8457968)
Hiya,

Just to clarify, she is entitled to statutory maternity pay (6 weeks at 90% of her average weekly earnings then 33 weeks at £117.18 until April 09 when it goes up to £123.06 per week). Her leave is separate to this and she can (generally) take up to 12 months off work. This is made up of 26 weeks ordinary maternity leave and 26 week additional maternity leave.

If the company she works for goes into administration, liquidation, etc. she can claim from HMRC the remainder of her maternity pay because she has already paid NI and has therefore earned the right from the government, not her employer, to be paid statutory maternity pay. Best to see the jobcentre or call HMRC directly if this happens.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much. :)