ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   Buffing/polishing new paint (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/739576-buffing-polishing-new-paint.html)

bob r 18 January 2009 11:23 PM

Buffing/polishing new paint

Today I had a poor paint job done on my RB5. The rear bumper was resprayed by Chipsaway and the end result is flat and has little shine and hardly any reflection.

Is it possible for this to be polished up to a good shine?

+Doc+ 19 January 2009 12:32 AM

Did he lacquer it?

bob r 19 January 2009 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by +Doc+ (Post 8436226)
Did he lacquer it?

It is laquered, I watched him do it although it didn't appear like alot of paint or laquer were used.

There is a small section that looks reflective and shiney though.:wonder: The rest of it is rubbish.

Rich @ PB 19 January 2009 01:24 PM

Chances are high that a machine polish with fragile abrasives like those in the Menzerna USA range (Intensive Polish and Final Polish II) will be able to cut it back without inducing heavy micormarring. From the sounds of it (and the way that Chips Away lads usually work) the paint was not cured, and will be super soft, so don't be tempted to try anything harsh on it, otherwise you will marr it to hell... which is maybe the cause of the problem anyway - did the Chips Away guy machine it at all once it was dry? Or use any heat of IR lamps to bake it?

scouse2 19 January 2009 02:47 PM

leave it for a good while to let it harden up then give it a good buff:luxhello:
seen my mates bumper get repaired perfect colour match but like yours a sh1t
finish:( but what i notced it only lost a good shine on the repair parts which had been in primer me thinking that it was not cured before the base coat and laquer was sprayed on so it looks like it sinkage if that makes sense
anyway he has got the shine now after the man came and rectified and buffed it
maybe you could ask him to fix it as you have already paid him to do the job?
good luck any how:thumb:

danny

bob r 19 January 2009 08:30 PM

Polished Bliss

Yes he did use heat lamps after the spraying stages. I just can't work out why one section is alot shinier than the other.
He did have a machine polisher on it at one stage but I was inside at that time [for about 3mins] I wouldn't have thought that the paint was hard enough to laquer anyway within 10 mins of spraying?
If/when he comes back I will be blocking his van so he won't be able to drive away until i'm happy.:)

Rich @ PB 23 January 2009 03:35 PM

You can flash cure paint in around 10-12 minutes with heat lamps if you use a chemical accelerant (or so my paint shop tells me), so seems reasonable to me. What doesn't is the uneveness of the resulting finish/shine - no excuse for that if the paint was applied properly, so my guess is the guy simply did not take enough time to finish the job properly when polishing out. :)

scooby jay 23 January 2009 11:29 PM

it seems to me that he,s used a 1 pack laquer on the bumper and has,nt faded out the laquer edge very well the trouble with these laquers is that they dont hold there shine very well there cheap to buy and a lot of car dealers use these paints for a quick fix on used cars like most things in life you get what you pay for it does make me laugh when i see these,s smart repairs painting cars in the street.