ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Technical Topics Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/)
-   -   How To Change Your Brake Pads & Disc (4 Pots) (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/739226-how-to-change-your-brake-pads-and-disc-4-pots.html)

Matt578 17 January 2009 04:16 PM

How To Change Your Brake Pads & Disc (4 Pots)

18 Attachment(s)
With the car on the ground loosen the wheel nuts a little.
Attachment 50560

Once the car is jacked up and supported remove the wheel nuts, then the wheel.
Attachment 50561

You should now have something that looks like this.
Attachment 50562

Now to remove the caliper remove the two 17mm bolts behind it that hold it onto the car. They are marked red in this photo.
Attachment 50563

If you have a large lip on the outside of your disc the calipers might be a bit tricky to remove, They will come off though once they have been giggled about a bit and the pistons have retracted into the caliper a little. The Brake disc simply pulls off (Can be a bit stuborn if its been on there a while), I removed the disc which clearly shows you how the caliper was bolted on. I would not let the caliper hand as it could damage the brake lines so support it on something.
Attachment 50564

Now on the back of the caliper you need to pull out the long spring thats connected to the 2 pins that go through the caliper.
Attachment 50565

Once thats removed you can remove the pins. You will notice that there is a clip that goes along the top of the caliper that clips onto the 2 pins, this is simple to remove and will fall out when you remove the pins. Once the pins are out you can simply remove the pads.
Attachment 50566

Once you got the pads out you need to push the pistons from the caliper back in (Remove the cap off of the brake fluid resivoir first). To do this you can use a G clap or a large pair of grips. Push all 4 of the pistons back in untill they will not go no further.
Attachment 50567

Now on your new pads use a brake pad lubicant on the back of the pads and replace any shims that was attached to them.
Attachment 50568

Putting the pads back in is just the reverse of taking them out, put the pads in first (If 2 of your pads have a metal spring on them, those pads go on the outside), then push the pins through them, then put the metal retaining spring/rod back on the rear of the caliper, then the spring that was on top of the caliper.
Attachment 50569
Attachment 50570
Attachment 50571

If your fitting new disc simply slide them on now.
Attachment 50572

Then just put the caliper back over the disc, then tighten up the 2 17mm bolts that hold the caliper to the car back up. I stress that you check that you tighten these bolts up to the correct torque setting!
Attachment 50573

Have a bit of a admire at your handy work.
Attachment 50574
Attachment 50575

Put the wheel back on and wash your hands.
Attachment 50576
Attachment 50577

Also dont forget to bed your pads in as per the manufactures instructions or your prefered technique.

KK3960 17 January 2009 05:33 PM

Very nice write up!! Excellent!!

Wilky_Boy 17 January 2009 06:32 PM

Spot on mate ! Will use this guide next weekend when I have a go. Great photos and explanation. Cheers pal !!!:thumb:

Matt578 17 January 2009 06:41 PM

Thanks guys. I hope it helps, Alway good to hear some positive feedback :)

mattwrxCS 17 January 2009 06:51 PM

Good write up and pics,

This is what Scoobynet needs :thumb:

pj748r 17 January 2009 08:05 PM

Don't forget to undo the brake master cylinder cap before you push the pistons back into the caliper

Pete

C17RPA 17 January 2009 08:21 PM

good write up mate :thumb: need to do mine before the next m.o.t...you make/made it look so easy :notworthy..............also are the rears the same??? :thumb:

s70rjw 17 January 2009 09:01 PM

What discs are those and how much please. Nice write up

Matt578 18 January 2009 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by pj748r (Post 8433001)
Don't forget to undo the brake master cylinder cap before you push the pistons back into the caliper

Pete

I did that but forgot to add it, Will add it to the guide in a minute

Matt578 18 January 2009 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by C17RPA (Post 8433042)
good write up mate :thumb: need to do mine before the next m.o.t...you make/made it look so easy :notworthy..............also are the rears the same??? :thumb:

Rears are pretty much the same, the thing that makes them harder to do is the handbrake shoes are on the inside of the hub of the disc. sometimes you will have to slacken the handbrake cable off a bit to get the disc off. When i get home i will see if i can find some pictures of them for you as i replaced mine a few months back.

C17RPA 18 January 2009 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Matt578 (Post 8434028)
Rears are pretty much the same, the thing that makes them harder to do is the handbrake shoes are on the inside of the hub of the disc. sometimes you will have to slacken the handbrake cable off a bit to get the disc off. When i get home i will see if i can find some pictures of them for you as i replaced mine a few months back.

nice one mate,would be good if you could :thumb:

scoobyc 18 January 2009 07:14 PM

NIce one.

You beat me too it. Doing mine today too!

Also doing hoses and caliper paint so i might as well post that bit in here :)