ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Prison diary after causing a car accident - read on (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/736474-prison-diary-after-causing-a-car-accident-read-on.html)

Ved 06 January 2009 12:43 PM

Prison diary after causing a car accident - read on

A guy from PH and the CTR forum I'm still on has started writing up the diary he put together after being sent to prison or causing an accident in his Integra.

Well worth a read.

Prison Diary

David

Snazy 06 January 2009 12:52 PM

Pretty sure this is the one thats been knocking about for a long time. Eye opener.

Ved 06 January 2009 12:53 PM

Dan wrote it up yesterday

Snazy 06 January 2009 12:58 PM

Collated yesterday but I thought there was a thread about this a long time ago, same guy same accident, but prior to prison maybe?

Guess this is the continuation then

Coffin Dodger 06 January 2009 01:05 PM

I've read that before, many months / years ago.

New_scooby_04 06 January 2009 01:08 PM

What a fantastic thread. Wish I had time to read it all.

The scary thing is that this clearly isn't the account of a hardened criminal, nor someone who had deliberately set out to hurt someone, or even done something grossly reckless like drink driving! So you can't just dismiss is by saying: well, I can't identify with him at all; I'd never behave like that!

This appears to be a likable guy of good conscience and considerable driving experience that lost control of his car whilst out on a enthusiastic drive in his car. I don't know about you lot, but I'll certainly admit to pressing on a bit given a good road. Nothing irresponsible or silly, but I'm sure that's what this guy thought right before the accident.

This line sums it up and really makes you think:

" I was guilty, impotent and wondering how I'd gone from an enthusiastic drive to a potential killer in the space of 50 metres".

Ns04

j4ckos mate 06 January 2009 01:22 PM

"enthusiastic drive"

let this be al esson to all the boy racers on here

fivetide 06 January 2009 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 8401598)
I've read that before, many months / years ago.

Likewise. Its a great read but it wasn't done yesterday no matter what PH says.

5t.

richardg 06 January 2009 01:43 PM

i read the thread your link pointed to and was definately worth a read. can you post a link to the original thread others have mentioned please?

spireite 06 January 2009 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by richardg (Post 8401728)
i read the thread your link pointed to and was definately worth a read. can you post a link to the original thread others have mentioned please?

Home Detention Curfew

jonny_693 06 January 2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 8401608)
" I was guilty, impotent and wondering how I'd gone from an enthusiastic drive to a potential killer in the space of 50 metres".

Ns04

Did He hurt his nob in the accident? :D Seriously though terrible buisness.

little-ginge 06 January 2009 02:09 PM

Just sat and read it. What a insightful thread - have bookmarked it to read more as it is posted:thumb:

richardg 06 January 2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by spireite (Post 8401749)

ta :thumb:

Nat 06 January 2009 02:15 PM

So basically if you get a 12 month-4 year sentance you can be released after serving ONE THIRD of it.

TelBoy 06 January 2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate (Post 8401651)
"enthusiastic drive"

let this be al esson to all the boy racers on here

You have to be a "boy racer" if you're stretching your car a bit??

New_scooby_04 06 January 2009 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8401796)
You have to be a "boy racer" if you're stretching your car a bit??

Agree, Tel. I would personally make the distinction between someone racing someone else on the public highway and doing whatever is necessary to get in front and someone who is extending the car for their own enjoyment on a quiet road in good conditions.

Of course, the distinction between an enthusiastic drive and behaving like a prat is very much open to discussion: some would say it's one and the same thing, others (including me) would say that's a gross oversimplification and demonises those who are capable of using their discretion about appropriate driving behaviour for given conditions! What this example does illustrate though is that if you make a judgment and get it wrong, the consequences can be very serious.....I guess we all knew that already, but we tend to get complacement, or think that this kind of thing can only happen to scallys who nick cars etc.. Cases like this bring it home that it also happens to seemingly decent folk who make a genuine mistake!

My personal take (very broadly speaking) is that if you are driving within the car's limits of grip and traction and staying on your own side of the road, unless you have a clear line of sight, then you're ok. I personally, don't do "races" nor do I take the car outside of its grip envelope on the public road.

The mistake this guy seemed to have made was pushing it near a corner where there was no visibility for oncoming traffic. Had there been a good line of sight, the biker would have had a chance to see and react to his loss of control and who knows what the outcome might have been.

Easy to be wise in retrospect though, especially from a prison cell, and that's the moral of this story, I'd say!

Ns04

Jamescsti 06 January 2009 02:50 PM

Very eye opening stuff, just read the whole thread, really good read

grovesy 06 January 2009 02:53 PM

Just started to read it now and finding it very interesting, but I have just finished reading "the damage Done"( the story of Warren Fellows who spent 12 years in a Bangkok prison). So i'm going to leave the thread for a few days as nothing compares to the horrors in this book.

Nat 06 January 2009 02:55 PM

I started reading that when i was in thailand....i quickly stopped :(

Semper 06 January 2009 02:57 PM

Excellent read, well written IMO.

grovesy 06 January 2009 03:16 PM

Its the 2nd time ive read it. TBH I would think twice about going to Thailand (but would still end up going), I know he was 100% guilty but whe you understand how corrupt the country and prison system is :(

Timwinner 06 January 2009 03:18 PM

Although I feel NO sympathy for him, after all only one person was pressing the fast peddle in his car, It has made me consider how I drive.

I know im not the only person on here that has a sneaky drift session on empty roundabouts.

If the same happened to me I would expect no sympathy, but thankfully due to him sharing this account I think I will limit my enthusiastic driving to the track from now on.

The feeling of guilt and not being to talk to his other half were the points that got me.

I started off by thinking, t*sser you should'nt drive like an idiot, soon realised it wasnt about justification, its a tale of what happens when it all goes wrong.

Must read!!

+Doc+ 06 January 2009 03:23 PM

If you go round every bend expecting a horse and rider you can't go wrong, pity the go pedal makes you want to go faster :(

SetoN 06 January 2009 03:27 PM

What a good read :thumb:

My mate got sent down on October 1st for 16 months and some of the stories hes been telling me are very simular to the ones in that diary. sh*t food, daytime TV etc.

My mates funny, Last time i spoke to him he'd just been quizzing that Michael Shields the Liverpool supporter on if he had done it or not! :lol1: He's in the cell opposite. :rolleyes:

SetoN

Will 06 January 2009 03:31 PM

I did read it months ago and it was indeed a good read.

RyanSTI 06 January 2009 04:13 PM

what a decent read. really opens your eyes, i certainly wouldnt want that to happen to me, and in a werid way its atually made me think about near misses or drives in the past, and wished i'd just calmed it down a bit.

j4ckos mate 06 January 2009 04:27 PM

interesting read, but he very nearly killed someone,
he shouldnt be out

GC8 06 January 2009 05:07 PM

10 pence short? It makes you think: doesnt it?

New_scooby_04 06 January 2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JONNY_693 (Post 8401758)
Did He hurt his nob in the accident? :D Seriously though terrible buisness.

:lol1: There is always one....made me smile, though!

J4CKO 06 January 2009 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8401909)
I started reading that when i was in thailand....i quickly stopped :(

Why, was Ting Tong ready for you now sir ?