ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Horrific .. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/736235-horrific.html)

SunnySideUp 05 January 2009 01:15 PM

Horrific ..

A 30-year-old woman was killed when her car ended up in the path of a train at a level crossing in Lincolnshire after colliding with a van.

One can only imagine what it would be like in a situation like that! My thoughts go out to her family :(

BBC NEWS | England | Lincolnshire | Crash driver killed on rail line

Torquemada 05 January 2009 01:21 PM

That is horrible and I too feel for the family, must have been a horrible way to go for the woman, frantically trying to get out of the path of the train.

I do always wonder why people don't just get out of their cars to escape but that's easy for me to say, sitting here, I'm sure the shock of the whole thing made thinking logically a bit difficult :(

mrtheedge2u2 05 January 2009 01:23 PM

Sod the car... she should of just got out and ran....... it is unbelievable.... all the space in the world and she had to end up there

Leslie 07 January 2009 01:13 PM

I accidentally got into a similar situation on a very fast line in Lincs. It was certainly horrifying and I was lucky that the car recovered from where it was stuck in time for me to get off the crossing. Luckily there was a much bigger delay than she had before the train arrived. 30 seconds as she had was far too tight I think. It was a toss up whether it was quicker to run for it or to unstick the car.

Les

MattW 07 January 2009 01:17 PM

Horrific

Not wrong there fella.

---image edited by webteam---

cookstar 07 January 2009 01:18 PM

Should simply do away with AHB crossings, and have them all CCTV, much safer IMO. This Could not have happened if that were the case.

davegtt 07 January 2009 01:20 PM

Horrible story, I heard about this Monday evening when I got home. Something like that happens about twice a year close to us. Seem to have alot of these crossings in Lincolnshire

stilover 07 January 2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 8398310)
Sod the car... she should of just got out and ran....... it is unbelievable.... all the space in the world and she had to end up there

That was my first thought. I'd have got the fcuk out straight away. S0d the car. :brickwall

Guess it's natural selection though. If your to stupid to get out of the way of a train coming for you.............

cookstar 07 January 2009 01:28 PM

Jesus, the woman had already been involved in an accident, she was probably dazed/shocked and $hit scared.

Julz1983 07 January 2009 02:28 PM

Was reading it on the Sun, how sad, she was due to get married soon,
Train was 2 minutes early too.

dpb 07 January 2009 04:55 PM

Bad luck all round .

She may well have been dazed but i reckon more likley wanted to save her motor :(

Jamie 07 January 2009 05:02 PM

Indeed bad luck i would of jumped out asap sod the car.....where is hancock when you need him:(

kingofturds 07 January 2009 05:28 PM

Very sad indeed, but I don't understand the people criticising the train driver in the paper today. The train may only have doing 50mph but It's still going to take a fair distance to stop.

mart360 07 January 2009 05:43 PM

We have these near us, the barrier comes down, and the train arrives 30+ secs later

surely the train driver should have seen this car stuck at least a significant

distance down the line.

if a train can stop evertime it comes into the station with enough bangs jolts

and shunts, to p*ss every passenger of, one emergency stop would be

insignificant

will BTP be measuring the skids to see how fast the train was going?

mart

shep ppp 07 January 2009 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 8405166)
We have these near us, the barrier comes down, and the train arrives 30+ secs later

surely the train driver should have seen this car stuck at least a significant

distance down the line.

if a train can stop evertime it comes into the station with enough bangs jolts

and shunts, to p*ss every passenger of, one emergency stop would be

insignificant

will BTP be measuring the skids to see how fast the train was going?

mart

No the BTP wont measure the skud marks they will take a OTMR(On Train Monitoring Recorder) and study the forward facing cctv if fitted and carry out a brake and speedo test. As for stopping in a station it might not have been stopping there, remember a train train takes a mile and a quarter to stop from 125mph and cannot steer around a obsruction on the line,

J4CKO 07 January 2009 06:11 PM

---edited by webteam to remove ref to offensive post---

Whoa, nothing like a bit of BBS suicide is there Matt, remember, even if she was a total stunner before, the lady had a train hit her, hard, she died, and nobody looks there best after that, regardless of how they started, even if its no loss to you I am sure her family, her fiancé and the kids she helped teach might miss her.

New_scooby_04 07 January 2009 06:15 PM

Guys,

MattW has been warned for his post ( I have also removed the offending item). Lets leave it at that and not let this thread descend into x is a right **** etc eh? Appreciate the post has provoked strong feelings, but just insulting people isn't going to achieve anything!

Thanks,

Ns04

Lydia72 07 January 2009 06:58 PM

Just a thought but the woman was from Lincs, about 7 or 8 years ago there was a lot of stuff in the newspapers re a Lincs guy who derailed a train near Selby because his car was on the track. IIRC ten people were killed and he was sent to prison, perhaps in those few seconds she thought that leaving the car on the tracks might cause other fatalities and that had something to do with her staying in and trying to shift it.

scoobynutta555 07 January 2009 06:59 PM

Bit heavy with the editing aren't we?

New_scooby_04 07 January 2009 07:10 PM

Succession of posts that did nothing but call the offending poster (who has already been reprimanded) a ****!

If people want to put some effort into a rebuttal, or at least do something a bit more constructive to voice their disapproval then fine, but just posting insults achieves nowt and is against T&Cs.

I could always reinstate the posts and issue warnings? ;) :D

Sometimes a mod just can't win! ;)

Bonehead 07 January 2009 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lydia72 (Post 8405412)
Just a thought but the woman was from Lincs, about 7 or 8 years ago there was a lot of stuff in the newspapers re a Lincs guy who derailed a train near Selby because his car was on the track. IIRC ten people were killed and he was sent to prison, perhaps in those few seconds she thought that leaving the car on the tracks might cause other fatalities and that had something to do with her staying in and trying to shift it.

I'd be suprised. That woman was from the other end of the county to the guy involved in that crash. The south dont have much to do with us northerners

I was at work one evening in Lincoln and was in a job car that was generally regarded as on its last legs which stalled as I was crossing a railway line. Of course the warning bells went off and the barriers started coming down.
The car wouldn't restart and I was just about to reach for the door and abandon ship when it restarted and I was able to drive off with only a few seconds before a frieght train shot past........very very scary moment

Lydia72 07 January 2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 8405522)
I'd be suprised. That woman was from the other end of the county to the guy involved in that crash. The south dont have much to do with us northerners

No? I'm up the Northern end and we still get the news re Spalding and Boston area

GC8 07 January 2009 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 8405522)

I was at work one evening in Lincoln and was in a job car that was generally regarded as on its last legs which stalled as I was crossing a railway line. Of course the warning bells went off and the barriers started coming down.
The car wouldn't restart and I was just about to reach for the door and abandon ship when it restarted and I was able to drive off with only a few seconds before a frieght train shot past........very very scary moment

All on the same local BBC news, but the driver in question monopolised the national news for days, so dismissing this was far from well thought out.

Iwan 07 January 2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 8405455)
Succession of posts that did nothing but call the offending poster (who has already been reprimanded) a ****!

If people want to put some effort into a rebuttal, or at least do something a bit more constructive to voice their disapproval then fine, but just posting insults achieves nowt and is against T&Cs.

I could always reinstate the posts and issue warnings? ;) :D

Sometimes a mod just can't win! ;)

I was being sarcastic with mine, I thought Matts post was highly amusing. :)

New_scooby_04 07 January 2009 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan (Post 8405827)
I was being sarcastic with mine, I thought Matts post was highly amusing. :)

I didn't delete your post! :razz:

;) :D

Iwan 08 January 2009 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 8406097)
I didn't delete your post! :razz:

;) :D

Well somebody did.... :Suspiciou

New_scooby_04 08 January 2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Iwan (Post 8406548)
Well somebody did.... :Suspiciou

*inserts voice in Iwan's head*

They are all against you, Iwan; you must destroy them all! :) :D

Your post was deleted by another member of the webteam, mate. We are anxious that this doesn't become an 'x is a tosser, no, y is a tosser for endorsing their humour thread'. Otherwise, in a few hours we'll likely have an array of RTMs saying, I've been insulted, against T&Cs infract x etc....

Iwan 08 January 2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 8406657)
*inserts voice in Iwan's head*

They are all against you, Iwan; you must destroy them all! :) :D

Your post was deleted by another member of the webteam, mate. We are anxious that this doesn't become an 'x is a tosser, no, y is a tosser for endorsing their humour thread'. Otherwise, in a few hours we'll likely have an array of RTMs saying, I've been insulted, against T&Cs infract x etc....

Argh the voices are back. :eek:

Yeah that's cool, understood. The web team weren't to know but Matt is a mate, and he knows I was just jesting. But I understand the concerns.

Cheers. :)

New_scooby_04 08 January 2009 01:46 PM

Hey Iwan,

I've been accused of not permitting bad taste jokes in the past (falsely I might add - I even started a thread on it once). I personally have a very broad sense of humour and like some of the "bad taste" stuff.

BUT when you make these kind of cracks you put yourself on a fine line, and in this instance the community obviously thought Matt had crossed the line. The webteam agreed.

There is no need for people to turn nasty on him, though: one bad taste joke that is poorly judged for an given audience doesn't make mean a person is a "tosser". Equally, there is no need for people to take it to heart that some people were offended. It takes all sorts to make the world go around.

We try and make a judgment that reflects the feeling of the community and not our own personal taste as far as possible.

I've seen Matt post on several occasions and he seems a nice guy; I'm sure he did not intend to upset people.

Cheers for the understanding. :)