ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   fitting that 2k2ohm resistor (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/720357-fitting-that-2k2ohm-resistor.html)

xrblue 23 October 2008 12:54 PM

fitting that 2k2ohm resistor

hi all

i been looking in the archives and i think i have this right... but i want to be sure

my engine management light is on because i have fitted a de-cat downpipe to my 2002 wrx bugeye.

to resolve this i believe i need to fit a 2.2k ohm resistor but how exactly? :wonder:

do i take the sensor out and plug the hole?
do i cut the sensor off?
if the sensor is kept does the resistor need to be fitted in series with it or in parallel?

i don't want to mess it up

Midlife...... 23 October 2008 01:23 PM

The resistor fix you are talking about is for a missing EGT sensor AFAIK.

The proported resisitor "fix" for the missing Cat gives a steady signal to the ECU which assumes the Lambda sensor is broken and throws a Broken Lambda CEL or a missing cat CEL.

You can either fit an electronic CEL Fix from several companies who advertise on SN or have the P0420 CEL mapped out.

Shaun

xrblue 23 October 2008 01:29 PM

:)

Mother Theresa 23 October 2008 02:30 PM

I just bypassed the sensor by pulling off the wires and sticking the reisistor between the two and taping it back up.

Henrik 23 October 2008 04:19 PM

The EGT sensor fix (which it sounds like you're talking about), is used when replacing the up-pipe, not downpipe. The only way, afaik, that you can get rid of CEL from decatting the downpipe-and the centre cat is to change the thresholds in the ECU (i.e. remap).

Midlife...... 23 October 2008 04:27 PM

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / CEL Fix

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Mechanical CEL Fix

Not 100% effective IMHO

Shaun

IainMilford 24 October 2008 05:04 PM

not another one ........

bluenose172 24 October 2008 05:10 PM

.....another what?

IainMilford 24 October 2008 05:12 PM

another 2k resistor mod thread .... been on a few of these recently !!

my car was mapped recently and discoverd the uppipe sensor was caput, so gone down this route ..... mine worked for a week before the CEL came back on driving me nuts!

Steve_PPP 24 October 2008 05:15 PM

i did this a few weeks back. just took the EGT sensor plug out, and put the resistor directly into the socket, and wrapped it up in electrical tape. No CEL in approx 300 miles :thumb:

IainMilford 24 October 2008 05:16 PM

steve was your CEL on when you did the mod?

Steve_PPP 24 October 2008 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by IainMilford (Post 8220633)
steve was your CEL on when you did the mod?

erm.... i'd read this forum so was prepared :D resistor was added at the same time as the up-pipe was changed, the engine never started without the resistor in place.

so no, the CEL never came on :cool:

IainMilford 25 October 2008 11:38 AM

fairplay to you! I think I'm going to stick a piece of black tape over mine!

codie247 25 October 2008 12:10 PM

Did it on my 04 WRX with no problems. Think i still have the old EGT sensor from the up pipe in the cupboard somewhere.

Lee

IainMilford 26 October 2008 10:57 AM

my cars going in for a service on tuesday so hopefull I'll get it sorted then

xrblue 29 October 2008 02:53 PM

if i dissconnect the battery for an X amount of time wil the engine mangement light go out? until it decides to come back on again

Steve_PPP 29 October 2008 10:37 PM

easiest way to clear the CEL is to start the car, turn it off, start the car, turn it off about 4 or 5 times in a row :)

IainMilford 30 October 2008 09:31 AM

^^^^ does that work? I've tried but it never worked for me

Steve_PPP 30 October 2008 08:57 PM

i've used it quite a few times on my bug and it's worked every time.....

Nolan_WRX 31 October 2008 12:18 AM

if you need a resistor, i have 9 left from when i did mine, pm me n will send one if you need.
started car when did it cel did come on, but connected the green test plugs nder the dash and it showed no code, started the car and twas still there so started and stoped the car few times and went out., just plug the ends in the plug and wrap it in electrical tape, job done.

Henrik 31 October 2008 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by IainMilford (Post 8232781)
^^^^ does that work? I've tried but it never worked for me

It does if the sensors aren't reporting a fault anymore :)

I have to do it every time i disconnect the crank sensor etc

IainMilford 24 November 2008 07:21 PM

I think I've only gone and fecking fixed it !!!!

on sat night gave it one last attempt, been :brickwall :brickwall for what seems like ages now with no results. In a last ditch attempt on sat night I went out in the dark armed with my soldering iron and torch, disconnected the sensor and soldered in a new resistor on the car side, started the car moved it a couple of times etc nothing. Started the car to come home from work today, thought to myself something looks a bit different then it occured to me, no orange light on the dash !!!!!!!!!

no CEL :luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello:

it feels so great to drive a car with no stupid light telling me theres some thing wrong :notworthy

Steve_PPP 24 November 2008 08:50 PM

glad you got there in the end :thumb:

i've had my CEL on once since i changed my uppipe, but it happened when i hit the rev limiter in 1st :freak3: and the car used to do the same thing with the old uppipe too. Did the old switch it on/off 4 times, and the CEL hasn't been seen since :D