ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Whiteline ARB highly recommended mod (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/717490-whiteline-arb-highly-recommended-mod.html)

Harryr34 09 October 2008 11:42 AM

Whiteline ARB highly recommended mod

Hi,

I just fitted a Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear ARB. Took the car out for a drive and it has made a huge difference to the way the car handles. The car corners flatter and turn in is sharper. I can carry more speed through the twisties :) :) :)

Peanuts 09 October 2008 11:52 AM

how is turn in sharpened by fitting a rear ARB? ;)

jobbie 09 October 2008 01:21 PM

I think it kind of unstablizise the back so the front grips better, bit of a weird handling thing. Also go careful when it wets as it can get a bit twitchy.
Great value for money mod.

Peanuts 09 October 2008 01:32 PM

ah right, so you've researched it then :lol: :lol: :lol:

phil739 09 October 2008 01:36 PM

cant wait i have just brought whiteline arb's and links for front and rear ..

cant wait to fit them

Mark'sWRX 09 October 2008 03:46 PM

I'd say it should be the first mod anyone does (although I went for the 22mm adjustable). I found the understeer unnerving, but noticed the improvement going round the first roundabout coming home from Zen.

In the first week driving to/from work (which I can do in my sleep), I had to keep myself from hitting the middle of roundabouts because I needed much less steering input to get round.

powerwrx 09 October 2008 04:11 PM

im getting one fitted at the end of the month :)

Gear Head 09 October 2008 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 8187314)

Quite simple really. If you stiffen the rear, you increase the cars tendency to oversteer, thus making the front react quicker to any given input. :thumb:

And for a basic guide:

UK Hot Rods: News, tech, chat, email group for hot rods, street rods and kustoms

phil84 09 October 2008 04:43 PM

I've got Whiteline front and rear ARB and droplinks on mine.
Just need to fit anti-lift kit now, funds bearing:thumb:
What a difference!:luxhello:

joey_turbo 09 October 2008 10:27 PM

Would a non adjustable one make much difference?

Mikkel 09 October 2008 10:30 PM

Next on my shopping list.

Is it worth buying front and rear or just rear? Also what droplinks, as I believe you can get different types from whiteline themselves?

D6ale 09 October 2008 11:02 PM

Just out of interest with Whiteline ARB's what setting does everyone have theirs set to? Mine is on the middle setting but ive never had any guidence on what is the best setting?

Harryr34 10 October 2008 01:16 AM

I've fitted the Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear ARB with alloy drop links. It is currently set on the middle setting.

dynamix 10 October 2008 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 8187314)

Very good question ;)

Horrid Cars 10 October 2008 09:10 AM

I need these-how easy are they to fit yourself?

joey_turbo 10 October 2008 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Horrid Cars (Post 8189262)

Claarkio made a good guide:

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...links-arb.html

So does anyone know if an non adjustable ARB is as good?

Harryr34 10 October 2008 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Horrid Cars (Post 8189262)

Very easy to fit the rear ARB, i did have to use a small angle grinder to cut the old drop links off!!

Mark'sWRX 10 October 2008 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by joey_turbo (Post 8189282)

So does anyone know if an non adjustable ARB is as good?

AFAIK, a non adjustable is the same as having an adjustable on the middle setting so will still be good.

A 22mm bar will give you a small amount of understeer.

A 24mm bar will probably give you none, but could be twitchy, especially in the wet.

The advantage of an adjustable is that you can stiffen it up for track use, say, where you want it to be sharp, but soften it for easier wet handling.

I think the 22mm on its hard setting is like a 24mm fixed.

I've got a 22mm ARB and to be honest am quite happy with the middle setting, so I could have just bought a non adjustable.

dynamix 10 October 2008 11:15 AM

22mm on hard is not like a 24mm non adjustable

mit 10 October 2008 11:18 AM

I fitted a 24mm to the rear of my classic,on the middle setting it didn't feel right,too stiff.Changed to the soft setting,and it's wicked! Love it. I have rear drop links,hardrace alk,sti 6 suspension. Im going for the front 22mm soon,then may be able to set the rear harder.

Peanuts 10 October 2008 01:03 PM

Thank you Duncan, at least it wasn't totally wasted ;)

Bikebloke 10 October 2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8189196)
Very good question ;)

How do you have yours set up mate? I can see by your treads you actually use your car for road and track. What size bar have you gone for? What setting? ect. :thumb:

banny sti 10 October 2008 01:13 PM

What effect does a thicker front arb, have then :)

Banny

dynamix 10 October 2008 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bikebloke (Post 8189755)
How do you have yours set up mate? I can see by your treads you actually use your car for road and track. What size bar have you gone for? What setting? ect. :thumb:

I have 25mm rear on stiffest setting and 24mm front but I also have lots of other modifications to the suspension and suspension points location that get it to handle just the way I want.

22mm front and rear adjustables are a good starting point for the road and most track stuff but get advice from an expert like Paul at Zen, or better still pay them to set it up for you.

rooferman 10 October 2008 04:17 PM

I have whiteline 27mm front and rear bars to go on.....anyone have any feedback on these????

The rear bar has three holes....which one is the softest setting...???

dynamix 10 October 2008 05:26 PM

27mm is VERY stiff.

dunx 10 October 2008 05:53 PM

An adjustable bar allows you to fine tune the cars handling, a stiffer front bar will be ace in the dry, but MAY induce understeer in low grip situations IMHO !

Mine is set up stiff at both ends, with an ALK and grippy tyres it is neutral and un-stickable on the road. On track where you try a fair bit harder mine just edges into oversteer on the exit under full throttle.... NICE !

HTH

DunxC

bob r 10 October 2008 11:08 PM

I fitted the 22mm front [non adj] and an adj 22mm rear [centre hole] and droplinks to my MY03 STI.
When I first pushed it round bends I found it quite twitchy and unnerving which made me wonder had I totally wasted nearly £300.
Perhaps it would have taken more getting used or a change is my driving style or perhaps stiffen up the rear some more ??????????

martwrxsl 10 October 2008 11:25 PM

A complete waste of money. If you want proper handling go for coil overs. Roll bars stop your car from leaning and have nothing to do with the handling, grip. :wonder:

53 10 October 2008 11:37 PM

:lol1: I love SNET !

Where's Cusco Kid or 911 ?