ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   300+ bhp / 300+ torquey things / 160+ MPH SEAT (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/715696-300-bhp-300-torquey-things-160-mph-seat.html)

Janspeed 02 October 2008 01:59 PM

Also was a pax in a 250 PS Mini Cooper S on the same day, and it had a Quaife diff, and that was a hoot! :D

skinters 02 October 2008 02:06 PM

yeah - but then people complain that the Quaife tugs you around too much. (Which it does).
Remember all the fuss with the Focus RS ...

With the Quaife you need to take the car by the scruff of the neck and be on your toes, then it really delivers. If you don't it will bite you... In terms of driving experience, this is great fun (imho) but the motoring press don't seem to 'get it' and people moan about FWD again.

trails 02 October 2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by skinters (Post 8171472)
Garrett GT3071r turbo 0.64,
3" exhaust from turbo back
injectors,
fuel pump
bigger I/C
and cheeky remap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../car/front.jpg

nice sleeper :notworthy

Janspeed 02 October 2008 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by skinters (Post 8171528)
yeah - but then people complain that the Quaife tugs you around too much. (Which it does).
Remember all the fuss with the Focus RS ...

With the Quaife you need to take the car by the scruff of the neck and be on your toes, then it really delivers. If you don't it will bite you... In terms of driving experience, this is great fun (imho) but the motoring press don't seem to 'get it' and people moan about FWD again.

Totally, the Mini was being driven like a kart, full on throttle and being chucked around. It did not show any signs of understeer.....it was hilarious!

Dream Weaver 02 October 2008 02:41 PM

Have to say skinters, well done on the Saab, I really like the look of that and it sounds fruity from the spec as well :)

skinters 02 October 2008 02:42 PM

No - with the Quaife coming out of a corner, I still maintain I can be on the power before a RWD car.
Under power it whips the car into the bend as opposed to washing out - you just plant it and go.

Funnily enough a Quaife diff doesnt actually do that much for straight line drag grip. Imporved but not as much as you'd think. It's forte is power corners in which it excels and utterly changes the car's balance for the better.

Janspeed 02 October 2008 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by skinters (Post 8171571)
No - with the Quaife coming out of a corner, I still maintain I can be on the power before a RWD car.
Under power it whips the car into the bend as opposed to washing out - you just plant it and go.

Funnily enough a Quaife diff doesnt actually do that much for straight line drag grip. Imporved but not as much as you'd think. It's forte is power corners in which it excels and utterly changes the car's balance for the better.

Agree with you totally, the owner of the Mini is really chuffed with the mods.
It will be breaking many hearts, even I would keep out of it's way! :lol1: :lol1:

delcbr 02 October 2008 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by skinters (Post 8171472)
Ahh - Aside from a pile of other stuff over the years, core to the actual power output is
Garrett GT3071r turbo 0.64,
3" exhaust from turbo back
injectors,
fuel pump
bigger I/C
and cheeky remap.

Runs about 1.7bar in the midrange and spools in hard from 3k rpm.
Good tough old Saab block means stock internals are good for 470bhp ish, 165k miles, unopened. Just bolt up on the outside!
There's another 50whp waiting if I put some faster cams in though but have run out of cash.

Old but tough and fun. I don't expect miracles on handling but I've got it pretty damn good, relatively.

Totally stock outside to starting to be quite stealthy in it's old age.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../car/front.jpg

very stealthy looking car impressed!
how did you find out what route to go down with your mods did you go to a tuning company or follow the route on an owners club website post link lol
do you have a quaife fitted?
what kind of remap you got?
and lastly what size of engine is it?

skinters 02 October 2008 04:57 PM

Cheers!!
Well - started of on generic remaps and approved stages, then went to Maptun and followed their spec. (excellent company)
With new found confidence and help from a few stunningly helpful forums, I did this one pretty much DIY all the way including my remap (which is still work in progress)
I do have quaife fitted and slightly shorter gearing than the interstellar standard setup.
The car is 'rescued' with Abbott springs, Koni adjustables, lots of poly, and 2 whopping great 1" anti-roll bars. Needs big brakes but in keeping with the stealth, it has DS2500 pads which do a surprisingly good job.

Oh and it's a 2.3 and still has the comfiest seats ever... (not my car re. dodgy seat belt thing!)
http://images.europeancarweb.com/fea..._seat_view.jpg

Janspeed 02 October 2008 05:22 PM

Sounds good.

Plucking Pheasants 02 October 2008 06:31 PM

Don't blow that engine. Rebuild is a nightmare, more than the car's worth.

I have a Saab 95 aero out to pasture round the back that has a wrecked bottom end. And it was running stock boost!

skinters 02 October 2008 06:42 PM

Yeah - once GM took over for the 9-5 they mucked with the engines vent system (PCV). They also de-specced the pistons to 300bhp max (ish) and pushed oil changes a little longer too iirc.
Net:9-5 engines get sludge issues, lub issues, blown turbos etc etc. It's sad how many die for generally such a simple thing of PCV upgrade and a good sump clean out.

It's funny - to upgrade the 9-5 engine you put the whole bottom end,pistons and cams from a 9k into it.... The 9-5 head itself flows better though and there are plenty of 450-500bhp 9-5s about.

J4CKO 02 October 2008 07:03 PM

Remember, when you come to sell it....

MooseRacer 02 October 2008 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=J4CKO;8171325]

Originally Posted by MooseRacer (Post 8170016)
my 300bhp Citroen AX will grip once into second.
QUOTE]

Care to elaborate, a 300 bhp AX is relevant to my interests.

I'll get a spec and a few pics up at the weekend.

davecweed 02 October 2008 11:29 PM

oh please, lets stop this fairytale!

MooseRacer 03 October 2008 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8172832)

Weirdo.

No time for more as I have to go to work, however here's one http://www.petewymer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/01.jpg

davecweed 03 October 2008 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by MooseRacer (Post 8173052)
Weirdo.

No time for more as I have to go to work, however here's one http://www.petewymer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/01.jpg

im just trying say huge power and fwd is silly, once we get to 300+bhp its going to waste alot via wheelspin

and why spend alot money on a ax??

trails 03 October 2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8172832)

how many powerful front wheel drive cars have you driven...or even travelled in? Just asking to we get a little context on your comments :thumb:

Dream Weaver 03 October 2008 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8173076)
im just trying say huge power and fwd is silly, once we get to 300+bhp its going to waste alot via wheelspin

Don't be daft.

The only advantages of AWD is that it makes average drivers look decent as it requires no skill or self control, it's slightly better in the wet and for 1st gear launches (which make you look like a boy racer anyway).

The real world advantage of AWD vs FWD are none existant, unless you drive everywhere like a knob at break neck speed.

Meet me at Oulton in your AWD car and I will keep with you all day long :)

skinters 03 October 2008 11:02 AM

Yes - please remember this whole FWD vs 4WD trackion only really exists during a 1st gear launch.
This is why the 4WD can get really low 0-60times. But then you look at 60-100 times and an equally powered FWD car is usually quicker.

But how often do you do a drag start? Can't recall ever wanting to.

On a track, no, can't see why 4WD would be any quicker unless you are dropping to below 30mph?

Horses for courses. 4WD is nice but not the holy grail for sure.

WRX Blues 03 October 2008 12:52 PM

All this talk brings back memories of my old Scandi sleeper:) 300 torquey things was impossible to put down with the original diff but was mighty fun trying:lol1:

Tim's T4

davecweed 03 October 2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 8173195)
how many powerful front wheel drive cars have you driven...or even travelled in? Just asking to we get a little context on your comments :thumb:

lol, loads - here's some ive owned with some power

seat cupra - 180bhp - then 210
volvo s60 T5 - 260bhp - then 300bhp

and done about 50,000miles in each, in all weather conditions!

happy now!

trails 03 October 2008 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8174213)
lol, loads - here's some ive owned with some power

seat cupra - 180bhp - then 210
volvo s60 T5 - 260bhp - then 300bhp

and done about 50,000miles in each, in all weather conditions!

happy now!

:lol1: so at least you speak from experience...still disagree with your fairytale comment :p

Were your cars running uprated diff's and suspension or just power upgrades?

davecweed 03 October 2008 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver (Post 8173369)
Don't be daft.

The only advantages of AWD is that it makes average drivers look decent as it requires no skill or self control, it's slightly better in the wet and for 1st gear launches (which make you look like a boy racer anyway).

The real world advantage of AWD vs FWD are none existant, unless you drive everywhere like a knob at break neck speed.

Meet me at Oulton in your AWD car and I will keep with you all day long :)

thats not all true, 300bhp, wet road, some corners, adds upto problems!, in the first 3 gears, I know!, cos ive had a 300bhp fwd car in the past, done lots of miles with it, etc

MooseRacer 03 October 2008 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8173076)

Fair enough I thought you were trying to cast doubt on it's existance ;)

Spec etc to come tomorrow, as for why spend money on an AX? 1) Because they are very light and 2) Because no-one else does, or expects it :D

davecweed 03 October 2008 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 8174240)
:lol1: so at least you speak from experience...still disagree with your fairytale comment :p

Were your cars running uprated diff's and suspension or just power upgrades?

just power upgrades

trails 03 October 2008 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8174550)
just power upgrades

Gotta look after the chassis too dude :)

davecweed 04 October 2008 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 8175046)
Gotta look after the chassis too dude :)

ive moved on now, im a rwd, bmw driving cock nowadays, lol

trails 04 October 2008 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8175174)
ive moved on now, im a rwd, bmw driving cock nowadays, lol

:lol1::thumb:

Mike123 05 October 2008 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by skinters (Post 8173388)
Yes - please remember this whole FWD vs 4WD trackion only really exists during a 1st gear launch.
This is why the 4WD can get really low 0-60times. But then you look at 60-100 times and an equally powered FWD car is usually quicker.

But how often do you do a drag start? Can't recall ever wanting to.

On a track, no, can't see why 4WD would be any quicker unless you are dropping to below 30mph?

Horses for courses. 4WD is nice but not the holy grail for sure.

The 147 in this clip must have made up some ground on the straights for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNZJlond93w

The M3 times and Sti times were done in the dry as well according to the laptime board - did they use a better Stig in the Alfa?