ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Classic UK single>double DIN conversion (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/709359-classic-uk-single-double-din-conversion.html)

joey_turbo 31 August 2008 08:56 PM

Classic UK single>double DIN conversion

7 Attachment(s)
Right, after searching for a while and getting nowhere, I thought it would be best to grab the bull by the horns and start this on my own.

What I want to do is to convert a UK Single DIN stereo slot, to a JDM Double DIN. This will allow me to fit either a Double DIN headunit, a TV screen or two single DIN sized units. In my case its going to be my aftermarket headunit and a PSi3 SECS unit.

My initial thoughts were its best to use the JDM heater controls, as well as the Double DIN fascia. I was then told by the supplier of the double din surround, that a UK's heater controls use cables for adjusting the fan speed temperature etc, and a JDM uses electrics. Its very unlikely that the wiring loom would be in a UK car for this, and I confirmed it when dismantling.

So, I've got this:

Attachment 61961

Got it from Grade A Subaru, the day after I orders it. 27 quid :thumb:

I want that surround here:

Attachment 61962

So lets get the old one off.

First step, lift the centre console storage area and take the caps off two screws and remove the screws themselves:

Attachment 61963

This allows you to lift the handbrake surround:

Attachment 61964

Which allows you to remove the gearstick surround:

Attachment 61965

Which finally allows you to remove the stereo surround/fascia:

Attachment 61966
There are no screws holding it on, just pull it from the bottom and then a bit from the top. Take your headunit out, its easier.

This is what you'll see (well maybe not that much, I have loads of hansfree wiring in there) :

Attachment 61967

joey_turbo 31 August 2008 09:03 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here is a test fitting of the Double DIN:

Attachment 61968

Looks good so far, apart from this which I read about on some of my previous searches. They were old threads so none of the pictures worked. But as you can see, there is a gap around the edge of the heater controls:

Attachment 61969
Attachment 61970

This is because the UK surround has recess and the JDM one doesnt:

Attachment 61971

I'll leave that issue for now. I'm open to suggestions. One thing I thought about was cutting off that whole yop part of the UK surround, and mating it to a JDM one.

I didn't know too much about Double Din fitting, but what I've found out is that my stereo, won't slide out of this surround like a UK one. Neither does it use a cage. You have to put the Double DIN brackets on your headunit, and then behind the surround.

I didn't know that at first, so I've only got a picture of the mounts in first, which is wrong:

Attachment 61972

Heres the HU resting in place:

Attachment 61973

Thats all I have at the moment. This is going to be a Work in Progress.
I'm currently sourcing a single DIN surround for my PSi3, as I took it out of the Subaru top mount.

All comments welcome.

joey_turbo 02 September 2008 11:00 PM

Anyone got any suggestions for the heater controls issue?

ticky 03 September 2008 12:23 AM

It does not look that bad.
I suppose you could try the plastic surrounds that you get on some cd/mp3 single din players and adapt that around the heater control part. Maybe a bit of diy with some fibreglass?

Where are you going to mount the addtional headlight controls etc.

joey_turbo 03 September 2008 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah I could try that.

Switches have been relocated to centre console, allthough I haven't wired them up yet, the headlight adjuster has quite a few wires to extend. The headlight washers I may aswell keep but the bright switch is no good to me, as I broke it some time ago.

Pic:

Attachment 61974

davyg 11 February 2009 12:28 AM

any advance on this?

joey_turbo 11 February 2009 10:49 AM

No. I had to abort the mission.
The double DIN headunit I had, I just couldn't get it to physically fit in the radio slot area even I after I removed a piece of metal that stops the UK stereo sliding back. After 4 months of no stereo, I just gave up and went back to the single DIN.
I dremelled a lot off the Double Din Surround in an attempt to make it fit, but it wasn't so.

Alberick 16 April 2009 05:29 PM

joey turbo

i posted a reply in my original thread, you were pretty close acutally, too bad you gave up!!

https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/1401...n-i-did-2.html

jaygsi 05 December 2016 04:57 PM

I tried on mine and had the same problem. I thought about putting spacers behind the heater controls.

burt2000 28 July 2017 07:40 PM

Shot in the dark here but have you still got the double din fascia? If so would you sell it cheers