ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Noisey VF28 (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/689070-noisey-vf28.html)

bob r 21 May 2008 06:20 PM

Noisey VF28

I have just fitted a decat downpipe and VF28 to my RB5 and the turbo has a strange wining sound to it.I have only started the car up and not driven it as i'm slightly dubious.:confused:

The turbo was bought from a reputable seller on here after he had fully refurbished it so I am not convinced the turbo is fooked just yet, although I'm sure the S/N community will soon change that.

I can only describe the sound as 'wining' and after I switched the engine off the noise continued for around 5 seconds then stopped.

Please tell me the turbo isn't knackered.

stoneface 21 May 2008 06:34 PM

Boost leak

bob r 21 May 2008 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by stoneface (Post 7887687)
Boost leak

Where could it be from?

maydew 21 May 2008 06:49 PM

check the dump valve gasket and make sure you aint split the intake pipe on the turbo

scooby350bhp 21 May 2008 08:24 PM

Hi, i have a vf28 on my uk spec, and that peaks to 1.7 bar then drop to 1.6 bar and that does make a very loud whinning noise

stockcar 21 May 2008 08:31 PM

the VF series are mainly on roller bearings and can sound 'winee' compared to a TD series..............

alyn

weeebell 21 May 2008 08:35 PM

Same as mine. Absolutely normal. Its the roller bearing winding down. It sounds like an air leak, doesnt it?:lol1:

scooby350bhp 21 May 2008 08:42 PM

yeah mine does that after shut down

Scott.T@PolarPerformance 21 May 2008 09:02 PM

Totally normal
it's a roller bearing turbo and the noise it the turbo winding down when you switch the engine off.

you may also notice a kettle boiling type noise as you bring boost in slowley in the higer gears (i.e 4th/5th), again totally normal and you get used to it or just bring the boost in harder ;)

Maz 21 May 2008 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by scooby350bhp (Post 7887900)
Hi, i have a vf28 on my uk spec, and that peaks to 1.7 bar then drop to 1.6 bar and that does make a very loud whinning noise

That's a bit high. The VFs don't like too much boost. 1.5 dropping to 1.4 is probably a safer bet.:thumb:

bob r 21 May 2008 11:40 PM

Thank god for that. MUFC :D

Thank god for that. My mate had a P1 and I can't remember his turbo sounding like that.

Anyway, if that's how it's supposed to sound, then so be it.

Plastikman 08 April 2009 11:40 PM

Ive read this post via the search and Bobs original message is exactly the same as what I am experiencing. Everbody who replied and mentioned that this is how a VF28 soubds, mentions it on boost etc, but as Bob originally says and how I am experiencing is a noise imediately from startup and idle. The only way I can describe it is like a very loud fuel pump buzz/whine noise that moves with revs. IE if you start the engine from cold you can hear the turbo noise up to idle speed and it would noise away at idle, if you were to rev the car a little the turbo (fuel pump noise) would rise and fall with the revs. When the car is warm and you start going on boost the turbo sounds like any other with the forced air woosh, for me it was more the idle sound that I wondered about. Ive taken the inlet hose off and tried my best to check for play but it was hard to get a proper check because of the lack of space, there seemed to be very little to no play at all. When I tried to spin the compressor it maybe felt notchy but I couldnt say for sure. Any other VF28 owners confirm this?

[-(o)-] 09 April 2009 10:08 AM

My VF28 has done 100k and its not audible over the engine at idle, but as the above posters say you can hear it spooling down for a few seconds after switch off.
They are noisy turbos and meant to be more so with a de-cat, but don't think you should be able to hear it at idle... :wonder:

Plastikman 09 April 2009 07:52 PM

Do you have a decat?

merlin24 09 April 2009 09:24 PM

Did you prime the central housing prior to fitting and initial start up ?

Mick

bighead 09 April 2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by merlin24 (Post 8631498)

Mick

the encyclopedia strikes again :thumb:

johnlogie 10 April 2009 03:57 AM

I can hear mine.Its always sounded like that

[-(o)-] 10 April 2009 03:19 PM

Sports cat - so a de-cat might make a slight difference.

Plastikman 10 April 2009 07:44 PM

I can hear mine.Its always sounded like that
John, are you saying your always sounds like that, ie on idle or always sounds like that whilst boosting?

Mick
After the Decat or when the Turbo was fitted? The Decat (whole system) was fitted by previous owner and for that I doubt he would of oil primed the turbo. And the Turbo is naitive to this engine so its always been fitted.

johnlogie 10 April 2009 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=Plastikman;8633192]John, are you saying your always sounds like that, ie on idle or always sounds like that whilst boosting?

Aye mate,
u can hear it on idle, full boost and when I turn the engine off. Its always whined , never thought anything of it

Plastikman 11 April 2009 11:26 PM

Great stuff thats reasuring to hear

karloskarlotti81 21 April 2009 05:18 PM

i have a vf28 on my uk 99 it makes a strange whining noise on start up when u rev it, also when switched off for 5 secs...i have a full decat to from turbo back..

rickya 23 March 2010 10:01 PM

Thread resurection!!

Same whining sound with mine on startup/idle, seems a definite VF28 trait.