ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Just a moment of madness? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/662296-just-a-moment-of-madness.html)

Abdabz 23 January 2008 02:28 PM

Just a moment of madness?

BBC NEWS | England | Bristol | Hotel leap man cleared of murder

Oh my god... I havent had a chance to get my head around this yet but my instinct is disgust! :nono:

spireite 23 January 2008 02:35 PM

A coward of a man

hutton_d 23 January 2008 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Abdabz (Post 7589795)
BBC NEWS | England | Bristol | Hotel leap man cleared of murder

Oh my god... I havent had a chance to get my head around this yet but my instinct is disgust! :nono:

As is mine. Too many *excuses* for getting away with things these days.

" ... Mrs Hogan said: "This result albeit somewhat unexpected, has left me feeling that Liam lost his young life for nothing" ....".

3 years for killing his own son??????? Away for life I say.

Dave

The Snug Rhino 23 January 2008 03:06 PM

considering he was clearly a bit nuts the "jumping off" in a fit of rage i can see......but to grab your kids on the way?

Chip 23 January 2008 03:06 PM

A troubled man more like.

Chip

[Davey] 23 January 2008 03:12 PM

This just means it wasnt premeditated, doesnt mean he didnt actually hill the kid... I assume hes getting done for manslaughter?

Abdabz 23 January 2008 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by [Davey] (Post 7589949)
This just means it wasnt premeditated, doesnt mean he didnt actually hill the kid... I assume hes getting done for manslaughter?

The article says he isnt being "done" for murder or manslaughter... Just 3 years mental care (which I am sure they can extend if he is a threat to society) or these days perhaps not... :freak3:

+Doc+ 23 January 2008 03:30 PM

Don't know what help him being in Prison would be. Sectioned for life might be more appropriate.

Scoob99 23 January 2008 05:17 PM

I'm sorry he is responsible for his sons death so in my eyes he murdered him, I hope the barsteward dies a very slow a painful death:mad:
Cheers

The Snug Rhino 23 January 2008 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scoob99 (Post 7590327)
I'm sorry he is responsible for his sons death so in my eyes he murdered him,

yes - but thats not the law is it. There are lots of ways someone is responsible for a death but only a few of them are deemed murder...this wasnt one of them.

Shark Man 23 January 2008 05:31 PM

I wonder what his missus actually said to spark him off into jumping off a balcony. :wonder:

There have been cases before where men have commited suicide and killed thier kids after bitter threats of losing their kid's custody and excessive divorce settlemets.

Just a thought.....

Diesel 23 January 2008 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 7590375)
I wonder what his missus actually said to spark him off into jumping off a balcony. :wonder:

I have to say that crossed my mind too, given some of the other info suggesting him seemingly being stable? Someone has to push to get a man to flip like that, and even then only 0.00001% will?

Wonder if we have a resident Scooby Shrink? Temporary insanity? Does he need drugs? I really dont know!

D

David Lock 23 January 2008 06:15 PM

Folk on SN seem to completely deny the existence of mental illness. I think this guy's two brothers also killed themselves.

To say that he should die a slow and painful death doesn't reallly take humanity forward very far does it?

But may be he was just drunk and selfish when he jumped with his kids. But I rather doubt that and suspect the sentence was correct in the circumstances. In fact it rather blew a hole in my stereotypical view of the Greek justice system. A terrible tragedy nonetheless. dl

The Zohan 23 January 2008 06:29 PM

At least the little gurl survived and has made a recovery.

Only justice is the man will have to live with what he did.

Shame he did not take his own life and not theat of a child - i do not suppose mental illnes gives much of a choice in these situations - assuming it was mental illness.

ScoobyDoo555 23 January 2008 06:31 PM

The other issue is well, let's be honest, what possible sentence could a court of law give compared to having to live with killing your own child?

Tragic either way

Diesel 23 January 2008 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 7590531)
Folk on SN seem to completely deny the existence of mental illness. I think this guy's two brothers also killed themselves.

To say that he should die a slow and painful death doesn't reallly take humanity forward very far does it?

But may be he was just drunk and selfish when he jumped with his kids. But I rather doubt that and suspect the sentence was correct in the circumstances. In fact it rather blew a hole in my stereotypical view of the Greek justice system. A terrible tragedy nonetheless. dl

Good post. Be great to get some proper facts and expert opinion on this as it is totally beyond my comprehension. D

Brit_in_Japan 23 January 2008 09:00 PM

He had to be mentally unbalanced to do such an act. Whilst it's obviously a horrific thing to have happened for his wife and the families concerned (can you imagine what his parents/siblings must have been going through too?) he will also have to live with it for the rest of his days and I can't imagine his conscience will ever give him peace.

Leslie 24 January 2008 12:29 PM

An absolute tragedy, not only for his remaining family but for himself too-for the rest of his life.

Les

David Lock 24 January 2008 12:49 PM

I wonder if his daughter will ever forgive him when she grows up? Awful thought. dl