ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Another DOG related thread.. biting and barking (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/654041-another-dog-related-thread-biting-and-barking.html)

pimmo2000 15 December 2007 09:55 PM

Another DOG related thread.. biting and barking

Nearing six months old.. still biting and now barks.. at nght too.

:brickwall

We've tried, ignoring her, smacking her, throwing her out the room, throwing her into the back garden, letting her bite, that nasty tasting dog spray, the noise making spray...

We lock her in a room and she slams against the door and I mean fully weight repeatedly... we never go back to her until she stops and that can take hours..

She has ripped the plaster off the walls trying to get out !!

I'm stuck.. and dont say puppy classes.. shes had them too.. they suggested holding her down.. grabbing her neck and shouting NO....

Everything :cry:

Proby521 15 December 2007 09:58 PM

What sort of dog is she Pimmo??????

Proby

chris singleton 15 December 2007 10:01 PM

what breed?

The noisy spray worked wonders when my staff was misbehaving, after a while I only had to show her the can and she'd stop immediatley.

Sounds like you've had a crack at most of the tried and tested methods, maybe you need to get onto dog borstal :D

davyboy 15 December 2007 10:10 PM

Drown the sh1t machine in a canal......you've bought a wild animal instead of a domestic pet.

rikroe666 15 December 2007 10:15 PM

i've got a cane corso mastiff and hes a right little s##t, well big s##t we had a few problems with him and our friend told us about a bloke they paid £300 for to come to there house, they have two dog de bordeaux(dont know if thats spelt right) its the one from turner and houch film. He told them that when the dog miss behaves you've got to through a chain on the floor and shout BLAR! it sounds stupid but it does work. Also if hes chewing stuff put tee tree oil on it as they hate the smell and taste.

Hope this helps:thumb:

Snazy 15 December 2007 10:24 PM

She is a GSD

Tuvaaq is going thru a bit of a jumpy bitey stage, but its manageable I think.
Also loves attention right now, adolecent age.
Weighs in at something daft like 3.5-4 stone too so has some weight to throw, packs a killer punch.

davyboy 15 December 2007 11:10 PM

More infraction for not liking wild animals.

Imagine if there were children about.

The dog needs destroying....now!

...then get a cat.

The Snug Rhino 15 December 2007 11:17 PM

How long is its daily walk?

Snazy 15 December 2007 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino (Post 7487632)

Mine personally 3x30+ min walks

Much calmer when he gets home, but the kids coming round tends to get him excited, so he gets put out in the kennel :)

fast bloke 15 December 2007 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 7487610)

...then get a cat.

You deserve an infraction for that :lol:

nooobyscoooby 16 December 2007 12:10 AM

I don't like cats so stick with the dog!

But do get some professional help ASAP before things get worse.

See if you can get any Dog Borstal videos/DVDs. They say you should not use their training methods without advice, but my wife went on a walk with a friend and her two large dogs who were both pulling like hell on their leads, totally untrained.

My wife used the technique of going off in different directions and within 5 minutes the 3 year old Alsationwas walking to heel beautifully and no longer pulling on the lead, so the techniques do work.

And the gravel in the bottle trick works a treat as well.

pimmo2000 16 December 2007 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino (Post 7487632)

I take her in the morning around the local park for about 40 minutes off the lead. My girlfriend takes her when she gets home.. on the lead and around the block.. about 15 minutes and then my dad takes her at night when he goes for his .. I dunno what the hell you'd call it.. but hes an old bloke that walks at night.. :Suspiciou dogging ? no seriously for about 40 - to an hour !

I think shes hitting teenaged years dog wise I'll try the tee tree oil :thumb:

Ms Gooner 1 16 December 2007 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by rikroe666 (Post 7487487)
i've got a cane corso mastiff and hes a right little s##t, well big s##t we had a few problems with him and our friend told us about a bloke they paid £300 for to come to there house, they have two dog de bordeaux(dont know if thats spelt right) its the one from turner and houch film. He told them that when the dog miss behaves you've got to through a chain on the floor and shout BLAR! it sounds stupid but it does work. Also if hes chewing stuff put tee tree oil on it as they hate the smell and taste.

Hope this helps:thumb:

I didn't realise that the Cane Corso was of the mastiff breed stunning dog though - a friend of mine had one - up until then, never heard of one? And yes its - Dogue De Bordeaux LMAO - as I have two :thumb:

Anyhow, the loud noise (like the chain on a floor - works better if its wooden on tiled floor) works well - its the "conditioning" training. Basically and most importantly - your dog needs regular walking and exercising. Also, maybe try getting them interested in toys - but actually play with them as opposed to just leaving them laying around. Secondly, buy a dog crate. Of a night time, after its walk, put your dog in the crate. Initially it wont like it but you need to make it see that the crate is its home. Smacking it probably wont work - my cousin had a rottie and when she was naughty he'd roll up a newspaper and smack her on the nose (not too hard) it got to the stage that he only had to roll a newspaper and she'd lay down immediately - again another "conditioning" trick.
Search on the internet for Dr Roger Mugford - he's a top animal physchologist who I had the pleasure of meeting (long story) but he sells and advises on a lot of tools for training.
Hope the above helps. :thumb:

pimmo2000 16 December 2007 09:20 AM

Everything is worth a go.. I'm dedicated to my dog :)

MikeCardiff 16 December 2007 09:21 AM

Have you tried training discs ? they are small metal discs ( like the ones you get on a tambourine ) on a string and you throw them on the floor when you want the dog to stop biting or whatever it is doing ( wont stop barking though ).

Snazy 16 December 2007 10:57 AM

Tuvaaq took his teddy out with him on the walk last night, as he wont let it out of his mouth, it stops him both jumping and nipping, as well as picking things up.

Pimmo, hows that off the lead thing going, is she obedient on the lead. Maybe she needs to spend more time ON it with you to realise you are the alpha and control her freedom. (not a pop about the lead btw :) )

When is she biting and barking? At what particularly.

pimmo2000 16 December 2007 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 7487982)
Tuvaaq took his teddy out with him on the walk last night, as he wont let it out of his mouth, it stops him both jumping and nipping, as well as picking things up.

Pimmo, hows that off the lead thing going, is she obedient on the lead. Maybe she needs to spend more time ON it with you to realise you are the alpha and control her freedom. (not a pop about the lead btw :) )

When is she biting and barking? At what particularly.

Off the lead she is a different dog.. she comes when called and follows me.. on the lead she pulls and jumps up. My g/f never takes her off the lead and is following the trainers guide.. stopping when she pulls etc.

She barks at nothing.. she barks at me when I firmly say no.

She is only play biting I think, she isnt being nasty..

Strange thing though, my dad comes round and when she bites or jumps up he smacks her on the nose, like he's done with all his dogs and she stops.. she sits, she lies down, she behaves... I think she sees him as the alpha !!

:cuckoo:

Snazy 16 December 2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 7488013)
Off the lead she is a different dog.. she comes when called and follows me.. on the lead she pulls and jumps up. My g/f never takes her off the lead and is following the trainers guide.. stopping when she pulls etc.

She barks at nothing.. she barks at me when I firmly say no.

She is only play biting I think, she isnt being nasty..

Strange thing though, my dad comes round and when she bites or jumps up he smacks her on the nose, like he's done with all his dogs and she stops.. she sits, she lies down, she behaves... I think she sees him as the alpha !!

:cuckoo:

I reckon that the key there mate, you need to be dominant. Im very much the alpha, so a firm command gets what im after usually.
Letting her off the lead to do her own thing when she is clearly unhappy ON the lead is a way of losing your leadership and losing your alpha role. She struggles and jumps, you let her off, she got what she wanted.
Some firm lead training, stop start , short leash.

Play biting depending on the reason and timing is not always a good thing, as it turns into real biting and much harder. Playful of not, they can still do serious harm, especially to an unsuspecting person.

You say she barks at nothing......but when? All the time, outside, inside, feeding time, morning...

Do you ever smack her on the nose like your father?

pimmo2000 16 December 2007 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 7488021)
I reckon that the key there mate, you need to be dominant. Im very much the alpha, so a firm command gets what im after usually.
Letting her off the lead to do her own thing when she is clearly unhappy ON the lead is a way of losing your leadership and losing your alpha role. She struggles and jumps, you let her off, she got what she wanted.
Some firm lead training, stop start , short leash.

Play biting depending on the reason and timing is not always a good thing, as it turns into real biting and much harder. Playful of not, they can still do serious harm, especially to an unsuspecting person.

You say she barks at nothing......but when? All the time, outside, inside, feeding time, morning...

Do you ever smack her on the nose like your father?

I have done yes, she barks random times.. middle of the night.. out walking.. dinner time.. whens shes in the hall

Snazy 16 December 2007 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 7488131)
I have done yes, she barks random times.. middle of the night.. out walking.. dinner time.. whens shes in the hall

Something is triggering the barking, either the demand for attention, or some other natural trigger, noise of planes overhead used to confuse Tuvaaq.
Tuvaaq barks when his dinner comes out in the mornings, but is learning that that will only delay him getting it, so thats rarer now.
Hard as it is, ignoring her will help.

Is she crate or kennel trained at all. Somewhere she can be put that she considers safe and HERS?
With the biting and jumping when walking thing, only other approach is the stop, keep calm, and praise/treat when deserved. Keep her on the lead at all times, remind her YOU'RE alpha.
With regards to freedom, I use a 30 and 60ft training lead to let Tuvaaq have controlled freedom, im still in command, but I am demonstraing that the alpha is allowing him to fun free within my range.

J4CKO 16 December 2007 04:48 PM

I think I have gone off the idea of another Dog, thay are a f*ckin pain in the arse, I cleared up after ours today, the kids played football and despite extreme vigilance they still found one.

Why do we bother ?

Snazy 16 December 2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 7488450)
I think I have gone off the idea of another Dog, thay are a f*ckin pain in the arse, I cleared up after ours today, the kids played football and despite extreme vigilance they still found one.

Why do we bother ?

Eeeew!!

Thats why my dogs unmonitored exercise area is concrete lol
Dont half drop some though. Clean up is a major operation. Tends not to go for a dump unless he is at home too which is a plus.

Just been for a 40 minute faultless walk with lil Tuvaaq. Very little pulling, obeying commands :)
Also managed to get him settled in the crate now, which is a big bonus for me.