Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another DOG related thread.. biting and barking

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2007, 09:55 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another DOG related thread.. biting and barking

Nearing six months old.. still biting and now barks.. at nght too.

We've tried, ignoring her, smacking her, throwing her out the room, throwing her into the back garden, letting her bite, that nasty tasting dog spray, the noise making spray...

We lock her in a room and she slams against the door and I mean fully weight repeatedly... we never go back to her until she stops and that can take hours..

She has ripped the plaster off the walls trying to get out !!

I'm stuck.. and dont say puppy classes.. shes had them too.. they suggested holding her down.. grabbing her neck and shouting NO....

Everything
Old 15 December 2007, 09:58 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sort of dog is she Pimmo??????

Proby
Old 15 December 2007, 10:01 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

what breed?

The noisy spray worked wonders when my staff was misbehaving, after a while I only had to show her the can and she'd stop immediatley.

Sounds like you've had a crack at most of the tried and tested methods, maybe you need to get onto dog borstal
Old 15 December 2007, 10:10 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Drown the **** machine in a canal......you've bought a wild animal instead of a domestic pet.
Old 15 December 2007, 10:15 PM
rikroe666
Scooby Regular

i've got a cane corso mastiff and hes a right little s##t, well big s##t we had a few problems with him and our friend told us about a bloke they paid £300 for to come to there house, they have two dog de bordeaux(dont know if thats spelt right) its the one from turner and houch film. He told them that when the dog miss behaves you've got to through a chain on the floor and shout BLAR! it sounds stupid but it does work. Also if hes chewing stuff put tee tree oil on it as they hate the smell and taste.

Hope this helps
Old 15 December 2007, 10:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

She is a GSD

Tuvaaq is going thru a bit of a jumpy bitey stage, but its manageable I think.
Also loves attention right now, adolecent age.
Weighs in at something daft like 3.5-4 stone too so has some weight to throw, packs a killer punch.
Old 15 December 2007, 11:10 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

More infraction for not liking wild animals.

Imagine if there were children about.

The dog needs destroying....now!

...then get a cat.
Old 15 December 2007, 11:17 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

How long is its daily walk?
Old 15 December 2007, 11:25 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino

Mine personally 3x30+ min walks

Much calmer when he gets home, but the kids coming round tends to get him excited, so he gets put out in the kennel
Old 15 December 2007, 11:41 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy

...then get a cat.
You deserve an infraction for that
Old 16 December 2007, 12:10 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

I don't like cats so stick with the dog!

But do get some professional help ASAP before things get worse.

See if you can get any Dog Borstal videos/DVDs. They say you should not use their training methods without advice, but my wife went on a walk with a friend and her two large dogs who were both pulling like hell on their leads, totally untrained.

My wife used the technique of going off in different directions and within 5 minutes the 3 year old Alsationwas walking to heel beautifully and no longer pulling on the lead, so the techniques do work.

And the gravel in the bottle trick works a treat as well.
Old 16 December 2007, 07:52 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
I take her in the morning around the local park for about 40 minutes off the lead. My girlfriend takes her when she gets home.. on the lead and around the block.. about 15 minutes and then my dad takes her at night when he goes for his .. I dunno what the hell you'd call it.. but hes an old bloke that walks at night.. ******* ? no seriously for about 40 - to an hour !

I think shes hitting teenaged years dog wise I'll try the tee tree oil
Old 16 December 2007, 08:11 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rikroe666
i've got a cane corso mastiff and hes a right little s##t, well big s##t we had a few problems with him and our friend told us about a bloke they paid £300 for to come to there house, they have two dog de bordeaux(dont know if thats spelt right) its the one from turner and houch film. He told them that when the dog miss behaves you've got to through a chain on the floor and shout BLAR! it sounds stupid but it does work. Also if hes chewing stuff put tee tree oil on it as they hate the smell and taste.

Hope this helps
I didn't realise that the Cane Corso was of the mastiff breed stunning dog though - a friend of mine had one - up until then, never heard of one? And yes its - Dogue De Bordeaux LMAO - as I have two

Anyhow, the loud noise (like the chain on a floor - works better if its wooden on tiled floor) works well - its the "conditioning" training. Basically and most importantly - your dog needs regular walking and exercising. Also, maybe try getting them interested in toys - but actually play with them as opposed to just leaving them laying around. Secondly, buy a dog crate. Of a night time, after its walk, put your dog in the crate. Initially it wont like it but you need to make it see that the crate is its home. Smacking it probably wont work - my cousin had a rottie and when she was naughty he'd roll up a newspaper and smack her on the nose (not too hard) it got to the stage that he only had to roll a newspaper and she'd lay down immediately - again another "conditioning" trick.
Search on the internet for Dr Roger Mugford - he's a top animal physchologist who I had the pleasure of meeting (long story) but he sells and advises on a lot of tools for training.
Hope the above helps.
Old 16 December 2007, 09:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Everything is worth a go.. I'm dedicated to my dog
Old 16 December 2007, 09:21 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Have you tried training discs ? they are small metal discs ( like the ones you get on a tambourine ) on a string and you throw them on the floor when you want the dog to stop biting or whatever it is doing ( wont stop barking though ).
Old 16 December 2007, 10:57 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Tuvaaq took his teddy out with him on the walk last night, as he wont let it out of his mouth, it stops him both jumping and nipping, as well as picking things up.

Pimmo, hows that off the lead thing going, is she obedient on the lead. Maybe she needs to spend more time ON it with you to realise you are the alpha and control her freedom. (not a pop about the lead btw )

When is she biting and barking? At what particularly.
Old 16 December 2007, 11:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Tuvaaq took his teddy out with him on the walk last night, as he wont let it out of his mouth, it stops him both jumping and nipping, as well as picking things up.

Pimmo, hows that off the lead thing going, is she obedient on the lead. Maybe she needs to spend more time ON it with you to realise you are the alpha and control her freedom. (not a pop about the lead btw )

When is she biting and barking? At what particularly.
Off the lead she is a different dog.. she comes when called and follows me.. on the lead she pulls and jumps up. My g/f never takes her off the lead and is following the trainers guide.. stopping when she pulls etc.

She barks at nothing.. she barks at me when I firmly say no.

She is only play biting I think, she isnt being nasty..

Strange thing though, my dad comes round and when she bites or jumps up he smacks her on the nose, like he's done with all his dogs and she stops.. she sits, she lies down, she behaves... I think she sees him as the alpha !!

Old 16 December 2007, 11:22 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Off the lead she is a different dog.. she comes when called and follows me.. on the lead she pulls and jumps up. My g/f never takes her off the lead and is following the trainers guide.. stopping when she pulls etc.

She barks at nothing.. she barks at me when I firmly say no.

She is only play biting I think, she isnt being nasty..

Strange thing though, my dad comes round and when she bites or jumps up he smacks her on the nose, like he's done with all his dogs and she stops.. she sits, she lies down, she behaves... I think she sees him as the alpha !!

I reckon that the key there mate, you need to be dominant. Im very much the alpha, so a firm command gets what im after usually.
Letting her off the lead to do her own thing when she is clearly unhappy ON the lead is a way of losing your leadership and losing your alpha role. She struggles and jumps, you let her off, she got what she wanted.
Some firm lead training, stop start , short leash.

Play biting depending on the reason and timing is not always a good thing, as it turns into real biting and much harder. Playful of not, they can still do serious harm, especially to an unsuspecting person.

You say she barks at nothing......but when? All the time, outside, inside, feeding time, morning...

Do you ever smack her on the nose like your father?
Old 16 December 2007, 12:43 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
I reckon that the key there mate, you need to be dominant. Im very much the alpha, so a firm command gets what im after usually.
Letting her off the lead to do her own thing when she is clearly unhappy ON the lead is a way of losing your leadership and losing your alpha role. She struggles and jumps, you let her off, she got what she wanted.
Some firm lead training, stop start , short leash.

Play biting depending on the reason and timing is not always a good thing, as it turns into real biting and much harder. Playful of not, they can still do serious harm, especially to an unsuspecting person.

You say she barks at nothing......but when? All the time, outside, inside, feeding time, morning...

Do you ever smack her on the nose like your father?
I have done yes, she barks random times.. middle of the night.. out walking.. dinner time.. whens shes in the hall
Old 16 December 2007, 12:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I have done yes, she barks random times.. middle of the night.. out walking.. dinner time.. whens shes in the hall
Something is triggering the barking, either the demand for attention, or some other natural trigger, noise of planes overhead used to confuse Tuvaaq.
Tuvaaq barks when his dinner comes out in the mornings, but is learning that that will only delay him getting it, so thats rarer now.
Hard as it is, ignoring her will help.

Is she crate or kennel trained at all. Somewhere she can be put that she considers safe and HERS?
With the biting and jumping when walking thing, only other approach is the stop, keep calm, and praise/treat when deserved. Keep her on the lead at all times, remind her YOU'RE alpha.
With regards to freedom, I use a 30 and 60ft training lead to let Tuvaaq have controlled freedom, im still in command, but I am demonstraing that the alpha is allowing him to fun free within my range.
Old 16 December 2007, 04:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have gone off the idea of another Dog, thay are a f*ckin pain in the ****, I cleared up after ours today, the kids played football and despite extreme vigilance they still found one.

Why do we bother ?
Old 16 December 2007, 04:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I think I have gone off the idea of another Dog, thay are a f*ckin pain in the ****, I cleared up after ours today, the kids played football and despite extreme vigilance they still found one.

Why do we bother ?

Eeeew!!

Thats why my dogs unmonitored exercise area is concrete lol
Dont half drop some though. Clean up is a major operation. Tends not to go for a dump unless he is at home too which is a plus.

Just been for a 40 minute faultless walk with lil Tuvaaq. Very little pulling, obeying commands
Also managed to get him settled in the crate now, which is a big bonus for me.