ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   New owner - need advice on exhausts (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/652381-new-owner-need-advice-on-exhausts.html)

Scoobyidol 07 December 2007 04:52 PM

New owner - need advice on exhausts

Hi, recently bought a 2001 bug eye WRX which has standard exhaust on it. Have been looking at replacing from turbo back. Having looked around a bit on e-bay etc there seems to be listings for 2 piece centre sections and others are 1 piece centre sections. Which is for my car???
Can anyone give me any more info??

zs_phil 07 December 2007 05:09 PM

why not just get a prodrive backbox thats what i have done to my03 wrx and it has a nice burble to it nothing too loud either but nice enough

NickBes 07 December 2007 05:29 PM

Have a look at this website:-

Stainless exhausts manifolds headers

It will also help you with the bits, I had a 2001 Bugeye and it was made up of a total of 4 sections.

They are quite expensive but worth every penny IMHO :thumb:

WRX_Dazza 07 December 2007 05:30 PM

drive down to haywood and scott and get them to sort it out,
no bidding, no shipping, no damage in the post, just drive in and burble out!!!

many people on here have used them and i've not heard one bad thing about them!!!

Nick beat me to it!!! lol :)

Tiny 07 December 2007 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza (Post 7467636)
drive down to haywood and scott and get them to sort it out,
no bidding, no shipping, no damage in the post, just drive in and burble out!!!

many people on here have used them and i've not heard one bad thing about them!!!

Nick beat me to it!!! lol :)

^^^^^ What the boys above said :thumb:

Oh & a nice warm welcome to you fella :luxhello: :luxhello:

Great chice of scoob there 2001 Bugeye WRX The best by a mile :norty: :notworthy

Scoobyidol 07 December 2007 06:30 PM

Thanks for all your help and advice guys - checked the Hayward web site - looks as if the bug eye needs a two piece centre section from what I can see on the pictures/descriptions - I may well end up going to a company like that - money is very tight though - what with being christmas and just buying a new car, so I may have to save up or buy a 2 piece job from ebay and hope for the best. Thanks again though! :notworthy

53 07 December 2007 06:36 PM

It's worth phoning Ian at Hayward and Scott, mention Snet Group buy/ESC, I would be surprised if you couldn't get the decat rear and the straight centre for near £180, plus thats fitted. I wouldn't change the BB straight off as thats the really expensive bit and there are lots to choose from. Its worth coming to a meet to hear a few first, plus the noise will change from the other parts and you might be happy with that.:thumb: When I bought my straight through centre (2006) Ian honoured a GB price from a few months before at about £70 +VAT.

frayz 07 December 2007 06:55 PM

Id by the best system you can afford as it saves buying another later on.

Your OEM exhaust system as it stands has three cats...

One pre-turbo cat in the up pipe, one main cat in the downpipe and one secondary cat just after the downpipe. The box in the centre section is just a resonator and will not really affect your performance at the moment with the stock turbocharger.

Id save and buy the best quality system you can afford. Deffo go for a 3" full system now as it saves buying another system at a later date.

H&S quality is "Okay" at best with their 2.5" systems but their 3" systems are absolutely rubbish. The flow, bends, welds are aweful on the bigger systems due to what i feel is unsuitable tooling for the bigger pipework.

Also if you plan on using your car on track at all, ensure you buy a system with decent sound levels.

Also please take note that you car WILL require a remap after any cat removals. Failure to get the car mapped could easily result in a a big failure due to detonation.

IMO get xmas out of the way, do some homework, decide what you want then save for it.

:thumb:

Cocker 07 December 2007 07:06 PM

I have a nearly new prodrive back box for sale mate if your interested - see the for sale section

Mocom Racing 08 December 2007 10:30 AM

There are two pieces to replace on your model but some after market systems come as one whole centre.

We stock the Revolution 3" systems, £320 for the centre pipes and backbox and £220 for a decat downpipe for off road use ;) or £300 for a sportscat downpipe if you want to keep legal for MOT's.
One of the quietest but free flowing systems on the market :thumb:

Phil 08 December 2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 7467861)

H&S quality is "Okay" at best with their 2.5" systems but their 3" systems are absolutely rubbish. The flow, bends, welds are aweful on the bigger systems due to what i feel is unsuitable tooling for the bigger pipework.

Of course in YOUR HUMBLE OPINION ;)

V4JDMSTi 08 December 2007 01:28 PM

just put a 3" milsport system on mine. cracking quality and gives the "scooby noise" without being too loud. speak to Ralph at milsport and say i sent you. Milsport 020 83737336

Scoobyidol 08 December 2007 02:47 PM

Good to know there is so many people on hear who are happy to help! I have read everyones comments & will sit tight for christmas and see how much money I havent got in the new year! :thumb:

WRX_Dazza 08 December 2007 03:52 PM

see if you can get to the halfway house meet on the a127 on thursday.

i'll introiduce you to everyone and you can have a good old listen to the 'zorsts in the meantime (i think we have got most of the available systems between us!!!!) there is even a diesel version lurking around!!! ;)

frayz 09 December 2007 07:14 AM

Lol @ diesel version.

Supercue 09 December 2007 08:33 AM

Despite Frayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs humble opinion :Whatever_ there are probably more Hayward & Scott zorsts on this forum than any other make. Both my Scoobs have had them and not one of them has been known to go wrong or make my cars slow;)

Talk to Ian and if you mention real pound notes you will be rewarded with a cracking piece of kit fitted at a competitive price that is awesome:D

Failing that I would go see Zac at Mocom;)

frayz 09 December 2007 09:03 AM

Supercue... Out of interest. How often are you under your car to see if anything has gone wrong?

I would put money on it that @ the very least your downpipe\gearbox mount has broken on the H&S.

Like I said... the H&S stuff is "okay" @ best. I personally dont want to pay top dollar for a product thats just... "okay"

Supercue 09 December 2007 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 7470737)
Supercue... Out of interest. How often are you under your car to see if anything has gone wrong?

I check you are not in the wheel arches does that count?:wonder:

I would put money on it that @ the very least your downpipe\gearbox mount has broken on the H&S.

I cannot talk for everyone else but 2 years on mine are still not broken. Oh and that lifetime guarantee they give, you do that on an OK product do you?
In the interests of safety lets ask everyone with H&S zorst to check their mounts too.

Like I said... the H&S stuff is "okay" @ best. I personally dont want to pay top dollar for a product thats just... "okay"

But as others have pointed out "ITS ONLY YOUR HUMBLE OPINION".
I didnt believe I paid top dollar I do believe I got a quality product at a very competitive price with a first rate service which others could learn a lot from.:thumb:

frayz 09 December 2007 09:34 AM

Thats the beauty of having an opinion. :D

Supercue 09 December 2007 04:38 PM

Yeah I remember the famous U-Turn on stickers lol;)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/wozzaa/Frayz.jpg

Now this was funny:D

frayz 09 December 2007 05:21 PM

If you read any post of mine ref stickers.. you'll see that my dislike was for stickers that clearly looked sh1te and were there for the sake of it.

My car happens to be one of the Mocom development vehicles... hence the graphics.

The threads getting off topic... its regarding exhaust systems. :Whatever_

Mocom Racing 09 December 2007 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Supercue (Post 7471436)
Yeah I remember the famous U-Turn on stickers lol;)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/wozzaa/Frayz.jpg

Now this was funny:D

Thanks for the exposure Supercue :thumb:

Budgie 09 December 2007 07:01 PM

my only experience of h&s was
a 4.5 inch back box on my old blob eye
had it on mine for 12 months
sold it to a friend
it fell apart 8 months later from the inside
sounded great though

budgie

Scoobyidol 09 December 2007 07:22 PM

Well this is my first taste of forums as well as Impreza's - it cant get pretty heated right!!!

Scoobyidol 09 December 2007 07:23 PM

cant = can = sorry, type.

Budgie 09 December 2007 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobyidol (Post 7471909)
cant = can = sorry, type.

use the edit option if needed

budgie

but then again you are in the essex section
none of this lot can spell anyway
Ed being the prime example:p

frayz 09 December 2007 08:40 PM

Our conversations never get heated :D

Supercue 09 December 2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by peter budgen (Post 7471924)
but then again you are in the essex section
none of this lot can spell anyway
Ed being the prime example:p

:lol::lol::lol:

Phil 09 December 2007 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 7472138)
Our conversations never get heated :D

:lol: Never