ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Wy the hell don't citroen make a 4x4 turbo rally rep!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/651747-wy-the-hell-dont-citroen-make-a-4x4-turbo-rally-rep.html)

finchyboy 04 December 2007 04:53 PM

Wy the hell don't citroen make a 4x4 turbo rally rep!!

Just wondered why the company that has made by far and away the best WRC car for the last 5 year's or so don't build a rally rep. I'll be the first to admit that the C4 is no looker but it just seem's to me they aren't really cashing in on their WRC success !!

GazTheHat 04 December 2007 05:08 PM

I dunno. It's a question me and my mates have been asking for years.

I'd love a fabia WRC, 2l turbo 4wd.

Maybe Suzuki will do one?!?!

Nate 04 December 2007 05:11 PM

Nobody except Mitsubishi and Subaru seem to.

Simon C 04 December 2007 05:19 PM

The rules changed which means they don't need to.

Both Scooby's and Mitzi's were concieved in the days when WRC cars had to be based on actual production models. That legacy is still shown (ie you can drive the road car out of the show room).

Prasius 04 December 2007 05:30 PM

Money is why they don't do it. :(

While manufacturers wanted to get rid of homolgation because of the cost; I can't help thinking that it's quite seriously harmed motorsport. BTCC and WRC are the two most obvious examples of motorsports where, not that long ago, you could go out and buy a car that was, pretty much, almost the same as the car you saw raced. Those times are gone I'm afraid - even us Impreza and Evo owners only drive a shadow of the car we see on the rally stages. :(

dpb 04 December 2007 05:44 PM

Cos they can make a packet more flogging mpvs,thats why

finchyboy 04 December 2007 06:06 PM

Why waste millions of pounds on a WRC effort if they're content on selling crappy people carrier's !! Most Xara Piccaso owner's wouldn't even know who Sebastian Loeb is.

j4ckos mate 04 December 2007 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by finchyboy (Post 7459676)
Why waste millions of pounds on a WRC effort if they're content on selling crappy people carrier's !! Most Xara Piccaso owner's wouldn't even know who Sebastian Loeb is.

well i own a xsara picasso (note spelling)
and i know who he is :nono:

AndyC_772 04 December 2007 07:10 PM

It's a fair point though. Why, for example, should someone looking to buy an MPV give a toss about how they're doing in the WRC?

At least the car in my garage actually has 4WD, and a turbo, and makes some claim to be a performance car. And it even looks just like the one Colin McRae won the championship in, which you certainly can't say for this year's C4 or Focus.

finchyboy 04 December 2007 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate (Post 7459720)
well i own a xsara picasso (note spelling)
and i know who he is :nono:

I wasn't having a pop at xsara (you learn something everyday) owner's but you know what i mean. I've just had a look at the citroen u.k website and to celebrate Loeb's 4th WRC Championship win they have brought out a special "Loeb" edition C4 with wait for it a 125bhp 1.6 16v engine. Talk about missing the point!!!

Jaybird-UK 04 December 2007 09:53 PM

I'd hit it :norty:

http://www.allcarwallpapers.com/wall...-2006-4152.jpg

dpb 04 December 2007 09:56 PM

its growing on me actually - but not as sexy as the xsara imo

skoobidude 04 December 2007 11:44 PM

I think they look great and probably given some reason to why the Impreza is changing to a hatch - as well as trying to tap into Focus/Golf market....

I wouldn't buy another Impreza/Evo due to the chav stigma now attached to them.

If Citroen built the above for the road I'd seriously consider one though.

Nick

MikeCardiff 05 December 2007 08:23 AM

Thank fxxk they dont ! 99% of French cars are driven by people who shouldnt be allowed on the roads, so dont give them more powerful ones ! ( Every dozy 17 year old bint seems to drive a 106, and all geriatrics have Clios )

I cant think of any reason I would ever buy a Peugot, Citroen or Renault instead of a Ford, Vauxhall or Japanese car if I was buying a runaround - they are all horrible and crap.

fast bloke 05 December 2007 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff (Post 7460989)
... 99% of French cars are driven by people who shouldnt be allowed on the roads, so dont give them more powerful ones ! ( Every dozy 17 year old bint seems to drive a 106, and all geriatrics have Clios )

Free insurance on Clio's and 106's doesn't help. My 17 yo niece just bought a new Clio with free insurance for less than the insurance premiums were going to be for any other car. They had stopped doing it for under 21's for a while, but it seems they aren't shifting too many cars in the past few months. I had the misfortune of having a 106 once owning 2 French cars - a Renault 9 (2nd hand from a dealer) which basically fell to bits over the course of a year, and a 106 (new from a dealer) which didn't fall to bits as it only started occasionally. The AA man kept a spare set of keys for our car so we didn't have to waste three hours every day waiting on him :D

D6ale 05 December 2007 09:12 AM

I would rather see a wrc inspired Focus than a Citroen.

Bring back the cossie....

Properly!

Brendan Hughes 05 December 2007 09:16 AM

HERE IT IS!!

Citroen - check

turbocharged - check

4x4 - check

rally rep - check

http://www.johngrose.co.uk/upload/jo...osser-page.jpg

(Lisbon - Dakar rally OK for you?)

dpb 05 December 2007 09:25 AM

Unfortunatley it would be struggling after the first sandy corner ;)

Dream Weaver 05 December 2007 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff (Post 7460989)
Thank fxxk they dont ! 99% of French cars are driven by people who shouldnt be allowed on the roads, so dont give them more powerful ones ! ( Every dozy 17 year old bint seems to drive a 106, and all geriatrics have Clios )

I cant think of any reason I would ever buy a Peugot, Citroen or Renault instead of a Ford, Vauxhall or Japanese car if I was buying a runaround - they are all horrible and crap.

I love Scoobynet blanket statements by people without much knowledge, brilliant :D

I drive a French car. Its rather quick, and reliable, and nice looking, and used as a runaround. Its not the be-all, and I may swap it next year for something Jap but most folk like it and it will happily whip most cars out there, as well as out handle/out fun most vauxhall, ford and jap cars. :D

It sounds OK too ;) - Video of Even More Scoobs - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Brendan Hughes 05 December 2007 11:17 AM

Wondered when you'd pick up on that Simon :)

Dream Weaver 05 December 2007 11:54 AM

Well, people need educating ;)

Performance French cars dont win all the magazine contests for handling without reason. :D