ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Legality of wiring up your back gate to a car battery!!!. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/651568-legality-of-wiring-up-your-back-gate-to-a-car-battery.html)

SVXNUT 03 December 2007 06:22 PM

Legality of wiring up your back gate to a car battery!!!.

Just wondering??. Made a delivery to a house this morning. Customer not in so went down the side and could see greenhouse. Reached over gate and got hold of catch.
Proceeded to pick myself up of the floor.
Used hanky and opened gate. Battery wired to the catch. Left parcel and a very strong not to Householder.
No Signs on gate.

Is that legal??, my wrist ached for 4 hours.

jods 03 December 2007 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SVXNUT (Post 7457064)
my wrist ached for 4 hours.

Has to be said

"wnaker"

:lol1:

richiewong 03 December 2007 06:29 PM

I'd say thats illegal, report the bugger!

J4CKO 03 December 2007 06:30 PM

No, its not legal !

I would go and tell him you want a couple of hundred quid to avoid reporting him and that he disarms it.

fatherpierre 03 December 2007 06:31 PM

Totally illegal!

fatherpierre 03 December 2007 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 7457088)
No, its not legal !

I would go and tell him you want a couple of hundred quid to avoid reporting him and that he disarms it.

That's illegal too, though ;)

Simon 69 03 December 2007 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SVXNUT (Post 7457064)
Just wondering??. Made a delivery to a house this morning. Customer not in so went down the side and could see greenhouse. Reached over gate and got hold of catch.
Proceeded to pick myself up of the floor.
Used hanky and opened gate. Battery wired to the catch. Left parcel and a very strong not to Householder.
No Signs on gate.

Is that legal??, my wrist ached for 4 hours.

Very illegal. The charge would be administering a noxious substance, I believe. Another Victorian law that theyd probaly fall foul of would be Man-trap(!). Its been going on for years, obviously.

Simon

kingofturds 03 December 2007 06:42 PM

illegal, but I would have loved to have seen it:lol1:

Simon 69 03 December 2007 06:45 PM

I saw my younger brother inadvertantly urinate on an electrified fence once..... It was over ten years ago but the memory still makes me laugh out loud!

pimmo2000 03 December 2007 06:46 PM

sorry man but LMAO at the way you described it LOL

I cant help myself..

Jer 03 December 2007 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 7457116)
illegal, but I would have loved to have seen it:lol1:

Look out for SVXNUT on Youtube bet he had a cam set up.

SVXNUT 03 December 2007 06:47 PM

Thanks, the one thing I will guarantee is that they will not be getting any more parcels.

Funny in hind site, after all, who hasn't pushed there mates onto a cattle fence when they were younger.

Jer 03 December 2007 06:49 PM

Have you been delivering to Deep singh?

PaulC72 03 December 2007 07:25 PM

Well not legal, but if you had been breaking in you could have sued them for thouands, however as you were not and only delivering a parcel you wouldn't get anything. At least it wasn't 230volts :)

Also just curious are parcel delivery drivers allowed to go though a gate to leave a parcel?

DCI Gene Hunt 03 December 2007 07:38 PM

Its neither legal nor illegal, but under the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 you are entitled to sue for damages, as it was a hidden hazard (no signs) and easily accessible.

AndyC_772 03 December 2007 07:49 PM

So, I'm curious, how was it wired up exactly? Only... 12 volts won't give you a shock - in fact you won't even feel it (unless you open gates with your tongue... in which case you deserve it!)

Simon 69 03 December 2007 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 7457294)
Its neither legal nor illegal, but under the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 you are entitled to sue for damages, as it was a hidden hazard (no signs) and easily accessible.

Its completely illegal! See my earlier post.

fatherpierre 03 December 2007 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 7457294)

Illegal.

A made trap, meant to cause harm means it's as per simon 69's earlier post.

pimmo2000 03 December 2007 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 7457330)
So, I'm curious, how was it wired up exactly? Only... 12 volts won't give you a shock - in fact you won't even feel it (unless you open gates with your tongue... in which case you deserve it!)

:luxhello::luxhello::notworthy

f1_fan 03 December 2007 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 7457330)

Andy, ask any mechanic unlucky enough to have shorted out a car battery and tell me 12 volts won't give you a shock. It's the current involved that makes a difference not the voltage.

scoobyboy 03 December 2007 09:38 PM

12 volts won't go through the skin touch both battery terminals and find out, you won't feel a thing

AndyC_772 03 December 2007 09:39 PM

That's not an electric shock, though. The spanner, screwdriver or whatever goes 'bang' because it has low resistance, therefore a large current flows causing a lot of localised I2R heating.

You can't give yourself an electric shock with a 12V battery, it's just not possible. You could have a nasty experience with, say, a piece of metal jewellery, or something wet maybe, but if you just grab both terminals of a car battery you won't come to any harm. Really*

*please don't, I know how tempting it might be to prove me wrong, but I'm not insured against Darwinism

f1_fan 03 December 2007 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 7457666)
That's not an electric shock, though. The spanner, screwdriver or whatever goes 'bang' because it has low resistance, therefore a large current flows causing a lot of localised I2R heating.

You can't give yourself an electric shock with a 12V battery, it's just not possible. You could have a nasty experience with, say, a piece of metal jewellery, or something wet maybe, but if you just grab both terminals of a car battery you won't come to any harm. Really*

*please don't, I know how tempting it might be to prove me wrong, but I'm not insured against Darwinism

Well given an ideal world yes, but as you say it depends on the resistance. Maybe not a tradional electric shock, but you can do yourself some damage given certain circumstances.

AndyC_772 03 December 2007 09:53 PM

Certain quite bizarre circumstances, though. I suppose if you held one wire between your teeth and shoved the other wire...

_Meridian_ 03 December 2007 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 7457666)

Most electric cattle fences are powered by 12v car batteries. Can I watch while you grab hold of one?

M

nooobyscoooby 03 December 2007 11:41 PM

Someone did this with his car door handles. Was successfully prosecuted.

I'd tell the police cos some other poor sap's going to get it and his/her heart might not be so strong.

But I admit, it would have been bluddy funny to have seen it.

Many years ago I "accidentally" let go of the electic fence that i had pushed down with my welly just as the sh*tty liitle assistant farm manager stepped over it. It pinged straight up between his legs and he didn't know which leg to hop on to to get him off the fence the fastest so in his own confusion he got several really good belts, especially as I'd only charged the battery up that morning!

nooobyscoooby 03 December 2007 11:42 PM

P.S. He sacked me a few weeks later!

paulwrxboro 04 December 2007 02:00 AM

a car bat will not give you a shock on its own

he probably had a fence kit like this Hotline Handy Horse 200M Electric Fence Kit
next to the bat and wired to the bolt

probably had trouble round ther at some point

paulwrxboro 04 December 2007 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by nooobyscoooby (Post 7458008)
Someone did this with his car door handles. Was successfully prosecuted.

I'd tell the police cos some other poor sap's going to get it and his/her heart might not be so strong.

But I admit, it would have been bluddy funny to have seen it.

Many years ago I "accidentally" let go of the electic fence that i had pushed down with my welly just as the sh*tty liitle assistant farm manager stepped over it. It pinged straight up between his legs and he didn't know which leg to hop on to to get him off the fence the fastest so in his own confusion he got several really good belts, especially as I'd only charged the battery up that morning!

pmsl

r32 04 December 2007 07:07 AM

Report the guy, before it kills some one frail.....