ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   WTF insurance question ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/643608-wtf-insurance-question.html)

pimmo2000 26 October 2007 02:09 PM

WTF insurance question !

I called my insurance today to change address of my bike and they said it will cost me £30 !!!!

AND if I dont do it my policy is invalid !!!!

WTF ??

I only renewed it on 21st do I have 14 to cancel ?

Dan W 26 October 2007 02:24 PM

I'm with Tesco and have made a couple of amendments to my policy from time to time. They charge £15 admin fee each time. That's added 45 quid so far.

Its bloody robbery.

£30 admin fee though is frankly taking the proverbial.

fbladerrv900 26 October 2007 02:26 PM

i believe that you have 14 days to cancel at no cost to you ( dont qoute me on that thou)

OllyK 26 October 2007 02:27 PM

Go with elephant, you can change details online FOC, IIRC.

pimmo2000 26 October 2007 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by fbladerrv900 (Post 7360981)
i believe that you have 14 days to cancel at no cost to you ( dont qoute me on that thou)

Your right mate, and I am going to bloody cancel. Its cheaper to cancel and then take up a new policy with them !! No that I'll be going with them again !!

Another question, what do you do it you lose your V5 and its reg to another address?

Clarebabes 26 October 2007 02:39 PM

Admiral wanted £15 to change car details after I sold my Clio and changed it to our Astra - a far less valuable car! I argued and said that they should be giving me money back as the car's insurance value was alot less! I then threatened to cancel and they then wanted £45 off me!

I argued back and they let me off the £15 to change details, but I still thought they owed me money due to the lesser car value.

When it came to renewal time, I changed insurers. :)

jaytc2003 26 October 2007 02:47 PM

unless youve moved since the 21st why would you give them the wrong address as assuming you are living in your new property youve been there since before the 21st so you old policy would have been invalid as well. :wonder:

cue the people now posting about being uninsured! :lol1:

coolangatta 26 October 2007 02:51 PM

Stone the bleedin crows! I cannot believe this nonsense.
Tell the companies who charge for vehicle/detail/address change etc. to Fuhook right off and find a company that does not charge.
The only way to let these shysters, (a person who gets along by petty, sharp practices), know that they can't get away with this cr@p. :razz:
Makes me boil FFS :nono:

jaytc2003 26 October 2007 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 7360988)
Another question, what do you do it you lose your V5 and its reg to another address?

one way is if you have set up the royal mail forwarding service, just write to the dvla, they will send a new one to your old address which will then get forwarded to your new address. Then just send it back with new details

Luminous 26 October 2007 07:13 PM

You have 14 days to cancel, but they do have the right to deduct a charge that is proportional to the insurance you have received during that period (eg cost of policy x 14/365). You can then go and use someone else.

I would really heavily consider doing that. Let them know you don't like being taken for a ride. Out of principle I would just cancel and go with someone else. That is of course, unless another company is going to charge you a lot more.

pimmo2000 26 October 2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7361825)
You have 14 days to cancel, but they do have the right to deduct a charge that is proportional to the insurance you have received during that period (eg cost of policy x 14/365). You can then go and use someone else.

I would really heavily consider doing that. Let them know you don't like being taken for a ride. Out of principle I would just cancel and go with someone else. That is of course, unless another company is going to charge you a lot more.

Its £19 a month the insurance so its more for the address change than a months insurance.

Also I was unable to get to my mail from my previous address for two weeks and the policy Auto renewed.. and I tried phoning them everyday just to ring out !!

I rang another number on the policy and got someone today !

Luminous 26 October 2007 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 7362061)
Its £19 a month the insurance so its more for the address change than a months insurance.

Also I was unable to get to my mail from my previous address for two weeks and the policy Auto renewed.. and I tried phoning them everyday just to ring out !!

I rang another number on the policy and got someone today !

Just cancel it. If they give you grief, just cancel via your card :) They auto renewed without your permission.

Da Booga 27 October 2007 10:01 AM

I moved recently and when I informed the Insurance Company I got a £29 refund for moving to a lower risk area :thumb:

I wasn't in a particularly high risk area before so it was a nice surprise :D

I'm with Privilege.

Sbradley 27 October 2007 11:25 AM

Re the moving house/V5 thing, I think you can change your address details online. You'll have top apply for a new V5 obviously, but it's no real hassle. A lot easier if you can find the old one, though...

SB

pimmo2000 27 October 2007 11:41 AM

You can get a replacement registration certificate (V5C) by completing a vehicle registration certificate application form V62 which you can get by download from the link below or at any licence issuing Post Office® branch or DVLA local office. Return the form and the fee of £25.00 to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD.