ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   NOTAM - Bruntingthorpe - Vulcan (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/628052-notam-bruntingthorpe-vulcan.html)

Nat 15 August 2007 11:50 PM

NOTAM - Bruntingthorpe - Vulcan

A Notice to Airmen was issued Two days ago stating that airspace around Brunters is going to be restricted for Vulcan test flying between 20th August and 7th September, 9am - 3pm, Mon - Fri

NAVW: Q)EGTT/QRTCA/IV/BO/W/000/030/5229N00108W003
FROM 07/08/20 09:00 TO 07/09/07 15:00 J3816/07
D)AUG 20-24, 28-31, SEP 03-07 0900-1500
E)RESTRICTED AREA(TEMPORARY) FOR VULCAN TEST FLYING AT
BRUNTINGTHORPE. RESTRICTION OF FLYING REGULATIONS MADE UNDER ARTICLE 96 OF THE ANO 2005 (MIL ACFT SHOULD COMPLY WITH JSP552201.135.9).
NO ACFT IS TO FLY WI AREA BOUNDED BY CIRCLE RAD 3NM CENTRED AT 522913N
0010750W EXCEPT ACFT FLYING WITH PERMISSION OF OPERATOR OF
BRUNTINGTHORPE AERODROME OR IN THE SERVICE OF THE LEICESTERSHIRE
POLICE. AUS 07-08-0518/3429/AS7
F)SFC G)3000FT AMSL

So...if they get their test flying done by 7 September, looks like they're trying to display at the big Duxford show on 8/9 September

:)

Janspeed 15 August 2007 11:53 PM

Yes!!! :D

astraboy 15 August 2007 11:56 PM

fantastic:D:D:D
astraboy.

finchyboy 15 August 2007 11:57 PM

Finally the old girl is getting airborne !! I thought Duxford would be on the cards once the TVOC denied that she would not be ready for Elvington.

Maybe oneday we will see the Bruntingthorpe Lightnings airborne too !!

CrisPDuk 16 August 2007 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by finchyboy (Post 7185965)
Maybe oneday we will see the Bruntingthorpe Lightnings airborne too !!

Not in the UK you won't Finchy:(

Privately owned Lightnings are specifically excluded by the CAA from operation in UK airspace:mad:
This is why the guys operating the only currently airworthy ones moved their whole set-up (including two 2 seaters) to Cape Town, where I will be heading next year if all goes to plan:luxhello:

Leslie 16 August 2007 12:45 PM

Great news!

I dont think the Lightnings were considered all that safe when they were being serviced with the full RAF complement Finchy!

Les

CrisPDuk 16 August 2007 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 7186783)
Great news!

I dont think the Lightnings were considered all that safe when they were being serviced with the full RAF complement Finchy!

Les

But they were very, very fast, and very, very :cool: Les:thumb:

Although I'll grant you, their tendency to flameout if throttled back too quickly was probably a tad disconcerting:eek:

Will you be blagging a trip out in the Vulcan then Les:D

finchyboy 16 August 2007 02:30 PM

Yes i understand the CAA will not allow the lightnings to fly in the u.k i was at brunters a few weeks back watching them fast taxi a truly awesome sight. On the Lightning preservation group website it states that they are maintained in flyable condition. Does anybody know what state they are actually in ? could they pheoretically fly if at the end of one of the fast taxi runs the pilot pulled back on the stick!!

Nat 16 August 2007 09:01 PM

558 was on the field today doing engine runs/tests. There will be more tomorrow.

First flight was planned for next week but is now delayed due to an administrative/paper work error/cock up :(

finchyboy 16 August 2007 10:52 PM

Thanks for the info do you know if the hanger will still be open to the public this sunday 10.00am till 4.00pm ?

Nat 16 August 2007 11:37 PM

Yes, pretty sure it is :)

Janspeed 16 August 2007 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 7186189)
Not in the UK you won't Finchy:(

Privately owned Lightnings are specifically excluded by the CAA from operation in UK airspace:mad:
This is why the guys operating the only currently airworthy ones moved their whole set-up (including two 2 seaters) to Cape Town, where I will be heading next year if all goes to plan:luxhello:

Saw a bunch of Hunters, Lightnings in Bournemouth back in '97, but only the Hunters were flyable............

finchyboy 16 August 2007 11:55 PM

Found this awesome video on youtube from an air show last year in south africa

YouTube - English Electric Lightning

CrisPDuk 17 August 2007 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by finchyboy (Post 7187015)
Yes i understand the CAA will not allow the lightnings to fly in the u.k i was at brunters a few weeks back watching them fast taxi a truly awesome sight. On the Lightning preservation group website it states that they are maintained in flyable condition. Does anybody know what state they are actually in ? could they pheoretically fly if at the end of one of the fast taxi runs the pilot pulled back on the stick!!

If you consider that the LPG consists mainly of former RAF pilots and engineers, and ex-EE/BAe personnel I think it would be reasonably to assume that if they say they are maintained in flyable condition, they are airworthy in all aspects bar certification:wonder:

I would imagine that the legal consequences of pulling back on the stick, for the pilot involved, would be severe though:eek:

CrisPDuk 17 August 2007 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 7188764)
Saw a bunch of Hunters, Lightnings in Bournemouth back in '97, but only the Hunters were flyable............

IIRC the CAA prohibition applies to privately owned aircraft with supersonic capability, the Hunter falls a long way short of that:lol1:

Andy McCord 17 August 2007 09:38 AM

Dont you think that a 3nm radius and 3,000 feet is a small space for flying a vulcan. Sadly more likely for ground engine runs IMO

finchyboy 17 August 2007 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Andy McCord (Post 7189163)
Dont you think that a 3nm radius and 3,000 feet is a small space for flying a vulcan. Sadly more likely for ground engine runs IMO

I should imagine it would be enough for the first "shakedown" test which so i'm told will be just a take off quick circle around the airfield and down agian. I don't even think the landing gear will be retracted on these first flights.

swampster 17 August 2007 11:40 AM

It'll be great to see the Vulcan back in the air again! I do think it's a shame the Lightnings can't be flown over here in the UK. They were always an amazing sight, just the raw power of a bloke strapped on top of two hugely powerful jet engines! :)

Leslie 17 August 2007 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 7186975)
But they were very, very fast, and very, very :cool: Les:thumb:

Although I'll grant you, their tendency to flameout if throttled back too quickly was probably a tad disconcerting:eek:

Will you be blagging a trip out in the Vulcan then Les:D

Yes I can confirm that about the Lightnings CPD, I did get a ride in one in Singapore when I swapped a trip in the Vulcan for it. I did enjoy that. The Lightning pilot enjoyed his Vulcan trip so much that it was difficult to get the controls back from him:D

I have been trying to blag a trip ever since they started to rebuild 558, I did offer to be their display pilot, but it was already booked and the shop is closed so to speak. :(

Les

CrisPDuk 18 August 2007 02:42 AM

Damn:(

Does that mean the 'discounted flights for SN members' scheme is out the window then Les:wonder:;)

BTW: The Lightning was so fast the yanks had to cheat (no change there then;)) to beat it:rolleyes:

Leslie 18 August 2007 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 7191679)
Damn:(

Does that mean the 'discounted flights for SN members' scheme is out the window then Les:wonder:;)

BTW: The Lightning was so fast the yanks had to cheat (no change there then;)) to beat it:rolleyes:

At the moment yes CPD, but you never know-he might break a leg-or worse:)

I know all about the cheating, from when they set the regulations for their big bombing contest, we never had a chance-although we did frighten them once!

Les :)