ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   ABS on modern cars - does it always pulsate? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/62677-abs-on-modern-cars-does-it-always-pulsate.html)

john banks 03 January 2002 08:11 PM

Peugeot 406 V6 with ABS. In the dry, wet or ice when you brake really hard it doesn't judder. There is no ABS warning light illuminated. The manual says sometimes a judder may be felt. The Peugeot newsgroups seem to be no use on the issue. I heard that many modern cars' ABS systems do not vibrate like the one on the Scooby does. Is this true?

Anyone know if a 406 ABS judders?

It brakes well enough considering it is a 406, but not in a straight line always in the ice - but neither does the Scoob.

rollerskate_01 03 January 2002 08:46 PM

Well

I do not know about the v6 406 but the diesel 406 definitely vibrates the pedal. And I do not miss it !!!!!!!

SPEN555 04 January 2002 09:24 AM

John,

Previous to my scoob I had a Peugeot 106 Gti which had ABS and it rarely was felt except in snow where it became a bit scarey trying to get it to stop. The scoob's ABS kicks in sometimes and I don't understand why. In the snow it's a case of pack myself a few pairs of kegs in the boot because it's bloody frighting. Coupled with it behaving like a sledge leads to some very hairy moments. Three times last year I nearly smashed the front end in and it was shear luck that I avoided crashing.

Hey John, maybe you could come up with a £10 electronics gizmo to turn the ABS to work the other way and give the stopping power of say AP 6 pots. Now there's a challenge for you.

Damian.

ScoobyJawa 04 January 2002 11:47 AM

I had a 306GTi-6 b4 the scoob and very very rarely felt the ABS unless it was really bad. That car had fantastic brakes, much much better than the standard MY99 Scoob I've got now :(

SPEN555 04 January 2002 11:56 AM

Scoobyjawa,

My pug brakes on the little 106GTi were fantastic in comparison to my MY00 UK spec scoob.

Why do we need to spend ~£1500 to get up to be anything decent?

Damian.

john banks 04 January 2002 01:13 PM

£50 on braided lines and DOT5.1 makes a massive difference. £250 on discs and pads and you have fantastic brakes IMHO. Stops my car anyway - you need a lot less pedal travel now, the initial bite is superb and you can easily lock up the wheels in the dry compared with before - which suggests the brakes are working well. But before you lock up you wipe off a huge amount with the initial bite. Scooby brakes are a dozen times better than those on our 406 - that is on a 3.0 V6 which is supposed to cost £23k new.

Trying a BMW 330i recently I thought the brakes were better than MY99/00, but now my brakes are tweaked they are way better.

PeterPerfect 27 January 2002 06:47 PM

What disks/pads are you running with John ?

john banks 27 January 2002 06:59 PM

Black diamond drilled and Mintex 1155 on the Scoob. Factory crap on the Pug.

NBW 27 January 2002 08:40 PM

I had a 306 GTi-6 before the Scoob, and yes, there was a pronounced judder through the pedal when the ABS kicked in.

In comparison, the Scoob's ABS seems to buzz - i.e. seems to pulsate at a higher frequency.

Cheers
Tim