ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   Attn Frayz (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/626522-attn-frayz.html)

Gangsta Smurf 08 August 2007 05:20 PM

Attn Frayz

As you know I am an observer on this forum ... but you seem to know your stuff when it comes to the cars so I would like to pick your automotive brain.

I need new brakes, but I don't want those pansie ones you get when you buy the car standard I want a set of bling mofos. Have a 06 WRX on 17's ... don't want to change the wheels because I like the ones that are on there.

What are your top three brake kits? Money is no object ... I want the biggest I can get on but they have to be able to handle lots of track days and heavy road driving.

Cheers awfully. :thumb:

Nate 08 August 2007 08:48 PM

Rob,

Why not order what Frayz has now got ;) , from what I understand, Frayz wanted some mofo brakes manufactured by a well known company, but he was messed around big time ........ Hence having what he has now ;) .

I am sure Frayz has gone through his list of brakes to have, and if he decided to go for the ones he has, it will be for a reason ;) .

SirFozzalot 08 August 2007 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by *Nate* (Post 7170163)
Rob,

Why not order what Frayz has now got ;) , from what I understand, Frayz wanted some mofo brakes manufactured by a well known company, but he was messed around big time ........ Hence having what he has now ;) .

I am sure Frayz has gone through his list of brakes to have, and if he decided to go for the ones he has, it will be for a reason ;) .

I think I am right in saying that the AP's that Frayz has got won't fit under 17's.

That's why he initially went for the Alcons as they fit under 17's but they never materialised. :rolleyes:

Spec'c'57 08 August 2007 09:02 PM

thats the 355mm kit, you can get a 330mm kit as mrs spec 'c' has

Mark_B4 08 August 2007 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot (Post 7170200)
I think I am right in saying that the AP's that Frayz has got won't fit under 17's.

That's why he initially went for the Alcons as they fit under 17's but they never materialised. :rolleyes:

But Robs, got an 06 which will have the correct PCD on the disks, which is why they kept sending Frayz the wrong kit, an 06 has PCD114, pre 04 had PCD100. So Rob could go for the Alcon kit, which is loads of Money and Frayz first choice

SirFozzalot 08 August 2007 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_B4 (Post 7170227)
But Robs, got an 06 which will have the correct PCD on the disks, which is why they kept sending Frayz the wrong kit, an 06 has PCD114, pre 04 had PCD100. So Rob could go for the Alcon kit, which is loads of Money and Frayz first choice

:thumb:

yellowvanman 08 August 2007 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57 (Post 7170202)
thats the 355mm kit, you can get a 330mm kit as mrs spec 'c' has

Essexboy30 runs 330mm AP 6 pots on his Time Attack car, without any issues.

I have also recently had a set fitted, but have not yet been able to test them fully.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/impreza4.jpg

yellowvanman 08 August 2007 09:25 PM

Frayz,

bit concerned now, remembered seeing a pic of your brakes earlier, copied below, the vanes on yours go in the opposite direction to mine!? :wonder:

Which is the correct direction?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...diffguard3.jpg

Before you ask, no i didn't fit them, they where done whilst the new engine was being fitted.

FLAT ERIC 08 August 2007 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by yellowvanman (Post 7170304)
Frayz,

bit concerned now, remembered seeing a pic of your brakes earlier, copied below, the vanes on yours go in the opposite direction to mine!? :wonder:

CLICK TO FIND OUT https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-scoo...ake-disks.html

Mark ;)

Gangsta Smurf 08 August 2007 10:36 PM

Scoobyworld's website is telling me that for £2k I can have a 330mm 6 pot AP Racing kit which will fit under my 17s ... so If anything can better that I'd be very interested to hear.

yellowvanman 09 August 2007 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf (Post 7170519)
Scoobyworld's website is telling me that for £2k I can have a 330mm 6 pot AP Racing kit which will fit under my 17s ... so If anything can better that I'd be very interested to hear.

Rob,

Give Zak at Mocom a call, I suspect you could have then supplied and fitted fo that price.

Phone (Workshop): 01992 570572

yellowvanman 09 August 2007 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC (Post 7170454)

:thumb: cheers Mark :thumb:

frayz 09 August 2007 06:02 AM

Sorry ive nor been around to reply mate,

AFAIK even the current WRX is still 5x100 PCD as i think its onky the STI that is the larger 5x114.5 PCD.

IMO the Alcons were a better bit of kit, but as road brakes go i dont think you'll better a set of 330mm AP Racing 6 pots.
Yes there is better kit out there but they will be phenominally expensive and us as mere mortal drivers simply could not use them to their potential.

More to the point, you wont get the heat into the better stuff to make the extra money worth spending. Different if you had an all out race car.

If you want to keep your 17"s go with the AP 330's fella, you wont be disappointed :thumb:

Gangsta Smurf 09 August 2007 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 7171058)
Sorry ive nor been around to reply mate,

AFAIK even the current WRX is still 5x100 PCD as i think its onky the STI that is the larger 5x114.5 PCD.

IMO the Alcons were a better bit of kit, but as road brakes go i dont think you'll better a set of 330mm AP Racing 6 pots.
Yes there is better kit out there but they will be phenominally expensive and us as mere mortal drivers simply could not use them to their potential.

More to the point, you wont get the heat into the better stuff to make the extra money worth spending. Different if you had an all out race car.

If you want to keep your 17"s go with the AP 330's fella, you wont be disappointed :thumb:

Cheers matey. Much appreciated advice. YVM recommened this Zac fella to supply and fit. What do you think?

frayz 09 August 2007 06:15 AM

Forget the exterior grooves mate, the internal vanes rotation is correct. Dont worry they are both fitted correctly.

Frayz,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...diffguard3.jpg

Before you ask, no i didn't fit them, they where done whilst the new engine was being fitted.

frayz 09 August 2007 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf (Post 7171060)
Cheers matey. Much appreciated advice. YVM recommened this Zac fella to supply and fit. What do you think?

Call him and have a chat, he is a very nice and helpful fella. Although i know he is out of the office today. So dump him an email or call tomorrow. Tell him you know me etc.

He is a personal friend of mine and i know he wont steer you wrong.

Best of luck :thumb:

Gangsta Smurf 09 August 2007 06:18 AM

excellent. I'll give him a shout tomorrow.

essexboy30 09 August 2007 06:42 AM

Frayz,

Neil,

i know yours are fitted correctly i was there! :thumb:

bibo_boy 09 August 2007 06:52 AM

Sorted my big brakes out this week....

They are top guys! :)

Milamber 09 August 2007 02:01 PM

These Audi ones look cool

http://www.neuspeed.com/supertouring/brakes2.jpg