ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New shape M3 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/62044-new-shape-m3.html)

RobWhite 31 December 2001 11:13 PM

I was driving full pelt last week and I had one of these bloody things in my rear mirror, could not believe it when the thing shot past me with no effort at all.

This must be the devils car!!

Barring a rocket launcher what Scooby would beat this thing, P1, WRX STi??

P1Fanatic 01 January 2002 01:23 AM

Well the new shape M3 hits 60 in about 5.5 secs and tops out around
160mph so should be able to go past the average scooby turbo or WRX MY00-01.

The P1, Sti VII Type UK and even the UK300 should be able to keep up in a straight line. Its around the corners and bends that the superior suspension setup and AWD will mean the impreza can pull away.

RobWhite 01 January 2002 02:07 AM

My scoob has a full scoobysport system, k&N airfilter, I use optimax and millers. 0-60 is 5.2secs, this thing just pulled away, had a look at the specs for the new M3 and most mags, road tests are quoting 4.8secs for 0-60.

This thing had some serious pulling power

bomber 01 January 2002 03:20 AM

coming from Blackpool a few weeks ago and had the same thing happen to me

bl00dy bright yellow thing over took me.....BM new M3.......arrgh.......

try to keep up but no way..........that car is FAST!

got on to the bends but i think he knows the roads so i cant keep up with him......must be the SCS and the TCS on the M3 or eles i could of get past him!
haha

anyway
HAPPY NEW YEAR

and bewear of the icy roads..........

take care

ARRON BIRD 01 January 2002 09:59 AM

I think a lot of Scoob owners of the highest spec will be very surprised.

BuRR 01 January 2002 10:23 AM

Yeah - but think about this one.... just how much are they having to pay to have the privelige of owning a scooby-beater? I'd rather have a house than an M3 ;)

babber 01 January 2002 10:36 AM

I drove sideways M3 Evo ?? and he drove my Scooby about 8 months ago, it was a disappointing experience for me, cause I was looking at an M3 for my next car after the Scooby. I wasn't that impressed with the car stability / performance and overall cost!!!

Sideways was in my car for less than 2 minutes and said "the M3 is for sale". He then put twenty plus grand in the bank, and bought a nice wagon with the change, and hasn't looked back once!!!! He had all kinds of performance cars (Cossies, Cossie Merc, M3, etc) and rates the scooby overall at the top ;) Not my words, his!!

My impression at that time was the M3 is seriously over-rated, although it was an old shape model.

Cheers Phill C

Spudgun GTR 01 January 2002 11:15 AM

babber, from all the articles ive read, all the programmes ive watched, the new m3 is a MUCH better car than the previous version.
i still think a used sti5 is a much better performance bargain than a new m3, but the new m3 appears to be such a good allrounder, whereas the scooby can be a little one dimensional.
i will know better when i get a test drive. if the 330ci is anything to go by, i imagine the new m3 is fabulous.
just wish i had 42k to get one :(

Richie1 01 January 2002 12:17 PM

Its around the corners and bends that the superior suspension setup and AWD will mean the impreza can pull away

got on to the bends but i think he knows the roads so i cant keep up with him......must be the SCS and the TCS on the M3 or eles i could of get past him!
haha

Of course it is..... there is no way it could keep up with you otherwise.... nothing to do with the fact that MAYBE the driver was a lot more capable at using his car that you are with yours ?? :rolleyes: :p

Imprezas may be good handling but they aint the be all and end all of it ;)

plug 01 January 2002 03:31 PM

Has anybody been up against any Porsches ? and I don't mean literally you perves!
Which ones and what happened.

Little Miss WRX 01 January 2002 03:35 PM

Girls, girls... ;)

It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day and relating to performance - its driver skill, knowledge of roads, knowledge of car and handling etc, etc, etc.......that tips the balance......

Before you know it this will turn into another scoob VS this and that and so on!

Behave :p :D (We all know scoobs rule or we wouldn't be here ;))

Michelle :)

Rikki 95WRX 01 January 2002 03:39 PM

I have against a 911 variant - can't remember which one. On single stretch runway he was right behind me up to about 145mph and as the runway strip widened to two carriages this thing sailed past me rather easily.

Very nice motor.

Rikki 95WRX 01 January 2002 03:40 PM

I have against a 911 variant - can't remember which one. On single stretch runway he was right behind me up to about 145mph and as the runway strip widened to two carriages this thing sailed past me rather easily.

Very nice motor.

Richie1 01 January 2002 04:40 PM

Behave :p :D (We all know scoobs rule or we wouldn't be here ;) )
I cant stand Imprezas....I am just here to keep you on your toes :p :D (jus kidding) ;)

RobWhite 01 January 2002 11:47 PM

I dont think that the quote

Of course it is..... there is no way it could keep up with you otherwise.... nothing to do with the fact that MAYBE the driver was a lot more capable at using his car that you are with yours ??

Is true, how much skill and capability does it take on a straight to put your foot down and accelerate??

Fair enough on corners or B roads but not in a straight line.

RichiW 01 January 2002 11:57 PM

If the new M3 costs £42k then i think it deserves to get past you! ....imagine if you spent £20k+ tuning your car(assuming your car cost £22k new), i dont the M3 would be even in your mirrors!

I`d also try racing one in the wet, maybe around a few bends, see how come out tops then ;)

Rich.

RobWhite 02 January 2002 12:16 AM

Well think of the loonies who have spent £40k on the new beatle RS I think its called. Great £40k to drive around in a bowler hat on wheels, now that is stupidity.

mattski2 02 January 2002 09:14 AM

M3's are beasts, simple as that... Autocar's 'Worlds fastest cars' special has a good M3 vs Evo 7 test...

The Evo beats it upto 60 but don't forget the M3 is massively powerful and has *really* long legs, they also don't have a 4WD drive-train to drag around, personally I would love one and I don't think they are over-rated.

Comments like 'it's worth the money for the engine alone' are there for a reason... don't be surprised if one beats you!

M

Richie1 02 January 2002 10:09 AM

LOL Rob White..... mebbe you should read Bombers and my posts again :rolleyes:

Bomber is saying he couldnt keep up with it on a straight line. He then said the BMW driver must have known the roads as he couldnt keep up on the bends either when they reached them ;)

Couldnt it have been that the BMW driver MAYBE knew how to use his car better than Bomber (no offence Bomber but its possible). Having an Impreza doesnt automatically turn you into a great driver or be able to lose everything on the bends.

I totally agree its easy to plant a foot in a straight line... that'll be why a certain Calibra Turbo had to back off before ending up in a P1's boot on the M-Way as the P1 couldnt out-accelerate him on the straights ;)

On a twisty road it might have been different

This is not a slagging match of this car is better than that car..... but mebbe you should read the posts properly before saying ppl are talking rubbish when they aint :rolleyes:

Dennisi 02 January 2002 11:02 AM

Id like to have a go against one in my P1, Anyone out there got a new M3 that fancies a go???

Dennisi 02 January 2002 11:17 AM

Somebody shut him up!!!

babber 02 January 2002 11:22 AM

Dennisi,

I'm sure Arron will be up for a pop on the track, if your interested!!!

Cheers Phill C

POC 02 January 2002 11:24 AM

I seriously rate the new M3, I just wish I had enough money to buy one.

One of the best cars on the road I think :D

Paul

ARRON BIRD 02 January 2002 12:38 PM

:D

Richie1 02 January 2002 07:09 PM

Straight line/Motorway - no chance (unless yours is modified). A P1 could not keep up with a modified Calibra Turbo so its got nowt on the M3

Twisty - depends on driver but the M3 would have to have a far, far more competent driver than the P1 would.

davyboy 02 January 2002 07:17 PM

A P1 could not keep up with a modified Calibra Turbo so its got nowt on the M3
:D

Richie1 02 January 2002 07:20 PM

Davey.... this has been done and proved, the Calibra in question is running 304BHP.

The P1 might have been standard so mebbe you want to rethink that one ?? :rolleyes:

They're all on drugs. 02 January 2002 07:23 PM

Those new M3 s look pretty good too, a big improvement on the old model. they would be quicker than any current scooby for sure I'm afraid, the figures just cannot add up to an impreza beating it, even a P1/STI etc.

davyboy 02 January 2002 07:23 PM

What.............me !!!!

Concorde is fast in a straight line !!

SKELBO 02 January 2002 09:08 PM

My workmate has just sold his new style M3 and let me have a bash before he let it go. I have to say that it is one hell of a motor car. It would certainly blow my RB5 into the weeds, but for 42 grand I would hope so!! I am not sure I could ever bring myself to buy one, but I would be tempted if I was in that market.
Cant say I was too keen on traction control kicking in though, but maybe I shouldn't have been playing with it quite so hard!