ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   car has to go a diet, weight loss plan needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/611475-car-has-to-go-a-diet-weight-loss-plan-needed.html)

automodellistagt 06 June 2007 04:29 PM

car has to go a diet, weight loss plan needed

with the advent of a summer car my scooby has the potential to be put to a weekend car only (till the ferrari arrives in 2020)

one of my main curses with the 04-sti is its weight. Its obese. And rather then spraying around figures of "200kg on losing the interior" or "5kg on the flywheel", i though it would be an idea to figure roughly what saving you can make by various stages.....

please feel free to contribute, especially by anyone who has insider knowledge....

An Example would be upgrading to 18" ultralight wheels (not-magnesium) would save say 3kg a corner = total weight saving of 12kg and so and so forth?

Lets see what we can do?

Interior complete removal inc. carpets but leaving dash, seatbelts and other essential items but adding two lightweight racing seats

wheels?

flywheel?

AC unit

any body panels that can be made lighter? such as bootlid or doors etc?

TonyBurns 06 June 2007 07:27 PM

Get rid of all your electrics, remove all your soundproofing, get rid of that heavy spoiler on the back, take off all the skirts, remove the central locking, though after all that to save any more weight you need to either go on a diet or drive around nude :lol1:

Tony:)

wrx_driver 07 June 2007 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 6992203)
Get rid of all your electrics, remove all your soundproofing, get rid of that heavy spoiler on the back, take off all the skirts, remove the central locking, though after all that to save any more weight you need to either go on a diet or drive around nude :lol1:

Or buy a Type RA!

DANNYBOY2511 07 June 2007 12:08 AM

buying a classic would do the trick:)

Flaps 07 June 2007 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dill_typeR (Post 6993577)
Ask James Zeta (the mincimg goat blower) how to lose weight:thumb:
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

:lol1: Got to love the smart ads on this forum :lol1:

911 07 June 2007 07:32 AM

Plastic doors/windows

Remove spare wheel and carry moose instead.

When this is all done you will prob hate the car and it will have lost a lot of value too.
Getting an RA is not a bad solution.

DJC75 07 June 2007 09:19 AM

Why would you carry a moose? Surely that would make the car heavier? If you feel the need to carry a mammal, I would recommend something smaller like a tapir, an otter or even a stoat.

Hope this helps.

automodellistagt 07 June 2007 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 6992203)
or drive around nude :lol1:

i tried it, but it chafs (sp?)

The Hoff 07 June 2007 09:37 AM

LOL @ DJC75 :):D

The Hoff 07 June 2007 09:39 AM

....still giggling :)

Paul3446 07 June 2007 09:47 AM

How about only half filling the fuel tank? That petrol is heavy stuff you know!

jasonius 07 June 2007 11:27 AM

blowing tyres up with helium. Every little helps..:D

GazTheHat 07 June 2007 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 6994123)
How about only half filling the fuel tank? That petrol is heavy stuff you know!

:)

I used to do that in my Lancia. :lol1: but way less than half a tank.

V4JDMSTi 07 June 2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrx_driver (Post 6993356)
Or buy a Type RA!

have to agree here. have an ra without all the creature comforts. noticed a huge difference over my old WRX. or if selling and buying an RA isn't an option, removing all the bits that it's got that the RA hasn't is a damn good start.

i'll still be stripping the interior out of mine as well, carpets, doorcards, rear seats, roof lining etc and just leaving the front seats and dash. spare wheel will be going and there is so little sound deadening in the thing anyway but what there is no doubt weighs a fair bit. may even go for plastic windows on the doors at some point.

bob r 07 June 2007 03:55 PM

Get rid of the hardboard, carpet and I/C spray tank from the boot.
Empty the washer bottle of water (illegal), add carbon panels/parts and a ligtweight exhaust.

How much has it lost now then?

ex-webby 07 June 2007 04:56 PM

This is what we did with the Spec C.... may give you some idea's https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-interior.html