ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   SQUEEKY BREAKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/591087-squeeky-breaks.html)

drea23 14 March 2007 08:46 PM

SQUEEKY BREAKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My girl friend has a Ford Puma and the breaks squeek every time you put your foot on the breake peddle , the discs and pad are fine , ant idea how to stop this ??????????
cheers......

bartmanuk 14 March 2007 09:24 PM

sell it! :p

BM

Geezer 14 March 2007 09:56 PM

Squeaky breaks eh? Are they lunch breaks, or tea breaks? ;)

Geezer

hutton_d 14 March 2007 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by drea23 (Post 6747976)
My girl friend has a Ford Puma and the breaks squeek every time you put your foot on the breake peddle , ....

Can you tell us what a 'breake peddle' is ...? Maybe it's what Google suggests?

"Did you mean: brake pedal " ...?

Dave

PS: wrong forum for this topic.
PPS: take the car out and brake hard a few times - probably just needs the pads deglazing. Does she just use it about town and brake gently most of the time? If so go out and give it LARGE with the brakes. Get a nice long, straight EMPTY road and (making sure there is nowt behind you!!) do some emergency stops. Should sort it out.
PPPS: though it could be she has a family of mice nesting there ..... :D

Scooby Snacks 23 15 March 2007 09:21 AM

I've got a C70 T5 and they're renowned for squeeky brakes!

Bubba po 15 March 2007 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 6748406)
Can you tell us what a 'breake peddle' is ...?

It's from Chaucer:

"The thrustelcok made eek hir lay, The wode dove upon the spray. She sang ful loude and cleere, then steppeth on the breake peddle nere".

HTH.

SJ_Skyline 15 March 2007 09:45 AM

My girl friend has a Ford Puma and the breaks squeek every time you put your foot on the breake peddle , the discs and pad are fine , ant idea how to stop this ??????????
cheers......

Dump her and get a new girlfriend whose car doesn't have squeaky brakes?

HTH :D

SiDHEaD 15 March 2007 09:53 AM

Are the shimplates between the caliper and pad present? Has copper grease been applied to the pad ears(/shims if not built into pad).

TelBoy 15 March 2007 10:13 AM

"Education, education, education" :(

^Qwerty^ 15 March 2007 10:14 AM

Copper grease should fix it.

MattW 15 March 2007 10:22 AM

cheers......

Sounds like mice to me, if it were only when moving I'd go along with the copper grease suggestion, but as it happens every time you put your foot on the pedal. Seems odd though.

;)

DCI Gene Hunt 15 March 2007 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by MattW (Post 6749359)
Sounds like mice to me, if it were only when moving I'd go along with the copper grease suggestion, but as it happens every time you put your foot on the pedal. Seems odd though.

;)

Depends on the type of mouse as a basic fieldmouse will emit a series of short 'sharp' squeaks, whereas the doormouse is known for its longer 'lower' pitched squeals......

Maybe placing some cheese on the passenger seat would help coax them out :thumb:

SJ_Skyline 15 March 2007 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 6749379)
Depends on the type of mouse as a basic fieldmouse will emit a series of short 'sharp' squeaks, whereas the doormouse is known for its longer 'lower' pitched squeals......

Maybe placing some cheese on the passenger seat would help coax them out :thumb:

Installing a cat in the glove box may well eliminate all existing and future squeaks and squeals without the cheesy odour :D

DCI Gene Hunt 15 March 2007 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 6749386)
Installing a cat in the glove box may well eliminate all existing and future squeaks and squeals without the cheesy odour :D

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3751/dsbez2.png

jaytc2003 15 March 2007 11:05 AM

surprised no one has mentioned oiling the brakes

Scoobychick 15 March 2007 11:09 AM

When I read the title I thought this thread was going to be about some kind of fetish weekend breaks :freak3: :wonder: :D

Jay m A 15 March 2007 11:12 AM

cheers......

I'd check the other 7 pads next time you inspect :)

BOB.T 15 March 2007 11:19 AM

Have you checked your toes / ankles / knees for wear and tear away from the car? You may both have arthritis.

HTH :)

TelBoy 15 March 2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by scoobychick (Post 6749513)
When I read the title I thought this thread was going to be about some kind of fetish weekend breaks :freak3: :wonder: :D

:Suspiciou

hutton_d 15 March 2007 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by scoobychick (Post 6749513)

Just goes to show you shouldn't judge others by your own standards .... :D

Dave

Nat 15 March 2007 12:25 PM

I thought this was going to be a dance music thread tbh about some kind of kerrazzy new beats.

SJ_Skyline 15 March 2007 12:27 PM

Thank your lucky stars it wasn't "Squeeky Break's" :D

Leslie 15 March 2007 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 6749186)
It's from Chaucer:

"The thrustelcok made eek hir lay, The wode dove upon the spray. She sang ful loude and cleere, then steppeth on the breake peddle nere".

HTH.

Good one, but what is the real translation of "breake" in this context? :)

Might be worth pointing out that the copper grease should be applied to the back of each pad where it is oressed by the caliper piston, just to prevent a "non stop" moment!

Les

MattW 15 March 2007 12:35 PM

Far too civilised in General - https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...y-breakes.html

Pumpkin 15 March 2007 01:15 PM

copperslip on the back of the pad - there should be an anti-squeal shim between pad and caliper piston.