ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Ireland & Northern Ireland (https://www.scoobynet.com/ireland-and-northern-ireland-27/)
-   -   Bodywork repair (https://www.scoobynet.com/ireland-and-northern-ireland-27/586014-bodywork-repair.html)

Roaddigger 23 February 2007 06:08 PM

Bodywork repair

Hi,

Just newly registered, but have used the site for a while. I have a 2006 new age WRX in Blue with 18" Superlegga wheels. Got Prodrive kit fitted a few months ago, its great. I live in NI close to Belfast.

Anyway, on to my question. Some idiot has put a dent and broke the paint work on my car with a shopping trolley. Can anyone recommend where I can get this fixed by a company that does a good job? Do not want to use a cowboy and have the paint flake off after 6 months. Any advice would be appreciated.

:cry:

mark12 23 February 2007 09:37 PM

I used a chap who is located just outside Carrick to carry out a repair on my scoob. He came highly recommended. Some git had put a ripple in my front wing when parking, about 8" long over the arch. He did a cracking job :thumb: and I would certainly recommend him. If your interested, I'll dig out his details for you.

teamheath2 23 February 2007 09:46 PM

I had the same done to me in the Tescos car park in Lisburn, a trolley wally pushing a load of trolleys round let one get loose and it hit the side of the car when my mrs was driving. Tescos are paying and I am getting a new door.

Anyway, I am using Des Eastwood Motors in Lisburn, they are really good, 1 of only 2 Subaru garages in NI.

Roaddigger 23 February 2007 11:36 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply guys; I only put this up a few hours ago. I would be interested in the number of your guy in Carrick, Mark12, that’s if you can find it.
It’s a small dent in the bonnet with 3 breaks in the paint like 3 large stone chips; they are no more than an inch apart.
I was in with Donnelly’s for the 10K service and ask for a quote for repair, had to chase it up 3 times and they kept saying it was to be posted out, eventually got quote from them over the phone for £275.
Apparently the do not do their own work but have Bodytech do it (Mark12 there website suggests they have an office in Carrick, was this your guy?). Any way I called to their Belfast office to find out how long it would take to do and when I should book it in, only to find that they had not even seen the car and only gave a rough estimate over the phone, I then got a proper estimate which is now £375, 3-4 days work and they are booked for next 3 weeks. I am just trying to get another quote to make sure this is a reasonable cost and 4 days seems long.
I should say that apart from the chasing up with Donnelly’s, I am a happy customer of theirs. The cost with the Bodytech guys includes a free courtesy car which is good.
Also I do know about Eastwood motors as I had my last WRX from them, but they offered me a very bad deal when I went to change, which is why I bought from Donnelly’s.
Anyway, any feedback on another body repair place would be greatly appreciated.

GrimReaper 24 February 2007 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by teamheath2 (Post 6690122)
Anyway, I am using Des Eastwood Motors in Lisburn

Des Eastwood doesn't do their own bodywork...it's sent out :wonder:

mark12 25 February 2007 02:13 PM

I've had some bad general experiences with Donnelly’s....say no more!

It's not Bodytech in Carrick, the guy in question is Davy Corbett - Mobile 07749459924. Give him a bell and have a word with him.

I'm just off the Doagh Road in N'abbey, you can have a look at the work he done on mine if you wish.

Hope you get it sorted.

Roaddigger 26 February 2007 12:59 AM

Thanks Mark12, I will give him a ring and get back to you if he is reasonablely priced and I want to see the work on your car.

RD:thumb:

urban 26 February 2007 09:54 AM

I wouldn't trust bodytech with a corgi car, seriously.
I've had a real bad experience with them, and that was only having a dent removed and asked for a complete machine polish.

Fecking cowboys.

I've used J&W Body repairs about 5 times, couldn't say a bad word about them.

My current car has been in with them twice recently for a new front bumper & new rear bumper thanks to two people in a Dublin hotel carpark.
Thankfully 1 of these two was honest and made the effort to contact me, the other fecker didn't.

Their number is 02890 460800, and they're in loopland park/drive - just off the Castlereagh road.

Shaun

teamheath2 26 February 2007 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by GrimReaper (Post 6692684)
Des Eastwood doesn't do their own bodywork...it's sent out :wonder:

Don't they?? Didn't realise, I'm still having it done through them (wherever they send it)

Roaddigger 27 February 2007 10:08 PM

Shaun,

What was you bad experience with bodytech. It is Donnelly's who are recommending them. I would hope since Donnelly's are sending me to them, if there is a problem, they would stand by the work.
Anywaym thanks for the other number will check it out.

RD

GrimReaper 28 February 2007 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Roaddigger (Post 6703732)
Shaun,
I would hope since Donnelly's are sending me to them, if there is a problem, they would stand by the work.
RD

Very doubtful :wonder: I would actually ask them that question before you go any further :)

JJstiuk 01 March 2007 03:39 AM

AutoBody in Ards are excellent, used them for a wee repair and the work was flawless, wouldnt give my car to anyone else...

AutoBody - 02891 822230 Tell em Justin recommended u speak to them :)

urban 01 March 2007 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Roaddigger (Post 6703732)
Shaun,

What was you bad experience with bodytech. It is Donnelly's who are recommending them. I would hope since Donnelly's are sending me to them, if there is a problem, they would stand by the work.
Anywaym thanks for the other number will check it out.

RD

We'll they made a bollox of removing the dent for a start, this then left paint damage which they tried to cover up without telling me.
They didn't do the machine polish which I asked for - this then drew my attention to the repair.

Upon confrontation they denied everything.
My nephew works for a commercial vehicle parts place, and he says that he has heard loads of bad reports about them. Plus everything they purchase from them is cash on delivery - no exceptions!

A colleague in work got a spoiler painted, and mirrors coded - noticable different in paint colour.

Shaun

daz4065 01 March 2007 10:23 PM

A guy called Rankin Cook in Lisburn is the best in the market. I dented the side of a brand new golf mkv the day I bought it. Two days later it was perfect again along with a warranty etc. My wife also had a ding in a car park and Rankin made her mini cooper perfect again.

Last time i was in he was doing body work on a ferrari. He is the best. No question.

Will look up number if you want

Roaddigger 02 March 2007 09:16 PM

than for all the feedback guys. this is great and so is this site. I will update the link when i get my dent fixed. thanks again all.
RD
:hjtwofing

GAWLEY 02 March 2007 10:43 PM

Hows it going roaddigger, I would totally agree with DAZ4065 Rankin Cook in lisburn is the best you will get. Im quite friendly with rankin and he was a neighbour of mine until recently. He has done work on all the cars i have owned from fitting bodykits to fixing various scratches and scrapes that other people have inflicted on my cars and a couple i did myself.

His number is 028 92 674 402

His work really is top class, he may be a bit more expensive than others but what you pay for is what you get and you will not be disappointed. He recently fixed a scrape on my back bumper and painted a version 6 lip for my car so if you want to have a look at the job he did on mine before you go see him just drop me a message and i would have no problem in you checking it out beforehand.