ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Ford Racing Puma (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/571319-ford-racing-puma.html)

Moley 04 January 2007 11:08 AM

Ford Racing Puma

My fiancee is looking at getting one of these in the near future.

Anyone here got experience of what they are like? Will be used as an everyday car

Gary :thumb:

jameswrx 04 January 2007 11:13 AM

Handle great, look great in the flesh, not much poke.

///\oo/\\\ 04 January 2007 11:22 AM

Fantastic cars. One of the best handling FWD cars ever made - right up there with the DC2 Integra.

152 bhp? I think? Its not a lot, but its enough.

Hard riding & noisy but easy to drive.

Watch for:

Brakes - many reports of siezed pistons due to insufficient dust shields

Stonechips - many cars will have resprayed wings front and rear due to this so don't be put off by paintwork unless due to accident damage

Rust - they are all prone to rusting where the rear "outer" wing joins the sills and inner wing sections. Check the fronts also.

buy the best example you can find.

HTH

Moley 04 January 2007 11:24 AM

Cheers guys :thumb:

jameswrx 04 January 2007 11:30 AM

Deffinately the best handling front wheel drive car I've been in, great fun. I can't help thinking it'd be a really great car with another 40bhp.

Blueblaster 04 January 2007 11:53 AM

A really cracking car. The ride is a little firm due to it's track based set up, but otherwise excellent. Don't ignore the basic 1.7 Puma as it has a chassis to die for.

Matteeboy 04 January 2007 11:57 AM

Agreed - Superb handling only matched by the ST170 (the best handling FWD car I've driven, but not been in an ITR).

The 1.7 is great but has drum brakes at the rear - Not good.

Other than that they look great, especially in "racing" spec.

noobscoob 04 January 2007 12:39 PM

Cool cars. i'm sure you will be nicking off in it from time to time if she does have one lol.

i think 155 ish bhp and the handling set up is fine really. bearing in mind the people that comment on them not being very fast do drive subaru imprezas ..so they are bound to think this :)

if you go on the racing puma owners webpage theres an indepth section on when the standard cars went to tickford and underwent their change to the racing versions. enjoyed seeing them being put together.

ScoobyJawa 04 January 2007 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Agreed - Superb handling only matched by the ST170 (the best handling FWD car I've driven, but not been in an ITR).

:eek::eek::eek:

The ST170 handling was ok, no match for my 205 which is 10-15 years older!

Mangel 04 January 2007 01:04 PM

As above.

Brakes have no dust shields as are proper racing brakes.

Mat had one for about 5ish years and its never missed a beat. interior is cool but not to everyones taste.

Matteeboy 04 January 2007 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
:eek::eek::eek:

The ST170 handling was ok, no match for my 205 which is 10-15 years older!

Let's face it, most modern cars don't handle as well but the brake a lot better.
205 handles well, but like the mk2 Golf GTi, it's a bit overhyped.

Lift off oversteer into a hedge anyone?!

///\oo/\\\ 04 January 2007 02:28 PM

Let's face it, most modern cars don't handle as well but the brake a lot better.
205 handles well, but like the mk2 Golf GTi, it's a bit overhyped.

LOL

Its called adjustability.

Mate, if you think an st170 is good, blag a drive in a DC2 Integra :notworthy

ScoobyJawa 04 January 2007 02:31 PM

LOO is what makes things fun, you get to do it on command too! As for braking, GTi-6 conversion is cheap as chips and provides phenomenal stopping ability. Certainly isn't overhyped and its a better handling/drivers car than a MK2.

Just my thoughts ;), however, I've been in plenty of other FWD that handled better than an ST170 IMHO. Not particularly pokey either........ I'd take a GTi-6/Rallye over one anyday....... but thats another thread.

Racing Puma certainly also has a good rep, standard car was pretty good :)

Matteeboy 04 January 2007 02:47 PM

Evo say "brilliant handling" for the ST170 which I agree with.

I'd never buy one because the engine is lame but it does handle very well indeed.

But then I've not driven the ITR - Only a CTR which had okayish but not brilliant handling.

///\oo/\\\ 04 January 2007 03:01 PM

Evo say "brilliant handling" for the ST170 which I agree with.

I'd never buy one because the engine is lame but it does handle very well indeed.

But then I've not driven the ITR - Only a CTR which had okayish but not brilliant handling.

Well, if you's an Evo fan, Evo recon that the ITR is not just the best handling FWD car of all time, but one of the best drivers cars period.

ITR and CTR are chalk and cheese.

Matteeboy 04 January 2007 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
Well, if you's an Evo fan, Evo recon that the ITR is not just the best handling FWD car of all time, but one of the best drivers cars period.

I'd grab the chance to drive an ITR - Just never known anyone with one.

Handling is my number one priority over 0-60 times, bhp, etc.

Driven plenty of very nice handling RWD and 4WD cars though to make up for it!

ScoobyJawa 04 January 2007 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\

Definately!

Blueblaster 04 January 2007 04:37 PM

Very funny - I like it:lol1:

PPPRob 04 January 2007 04:51 PM

There was a recall for a certain rear suspension component that was quite serious so bear that in mind when you view one. :nono:

A mate of mine had a beautiful one for a few years and got right into the whole ownership thing.

I'll ask him for some pointers next time I see him for you. What he doesn't know about buying and running them isn't worth knowing :thumb:

Oh and his was an everyday car as well so definately no problems there.

billythekid 04 January 2007 08:12 PM

They are now very rare cars and I have seen very low miles examples selling for the thick end of 10 grand! Was looking for one a while ago for a friend but he went for a different car in the end.

Stevesbluewrx 05 January 2007 02:30 AM

Moley, great car mate.

I almost bought number #49 a year ago for amanda during her ever changing car game.

Just remind your misses that the front is a little wider mate thats all.

Good luck and let me know as I wouldn't mind a little go in it myself. With her consent of course.

Steve

stilover 05 January 2007 05:34 PM

I nearly bought one from new.

That was until I was told the price. £21K :eek:

PPPRob 17 January 2007 02:57 PM

I know its been a while but I said I'd get some more info for ya :o :lol1:

Right, 1st 100 had LSD, it was an option on the remainder but wasn't made clear so if you find 1 with an LSD thats not 001-100 then you've found an enthusiasts car!!!

Rear arches gather stone chips very easily so if its not got any then its had paint so start looking at how far they went with paint. Obviously if 1 side is far worse than the other then its an idea to look deeper into it.

The front mesh rusts on later examples, so do the lower front wishbones – Ford forgot to paint them properly!

The steering wheel wears abnormally quickly.

When you open the boot any rain water runs straight into the boot so don't assume that a damp boot carpet is serious. It might just have been this poor design.

There was a recall for rear brake components but Ford wouldn't tell him what it was or for what reason :cuckoo:

HTH :thumb:

PPPRob 17 January 2007 03:00 PM

Oh and the 17" alloys were supplied by MiM.....

..... Through Prodrive :cool:

:thumb:

B9GLY 17 January 2007 03:08 PM

can you stick a cosworth engine in them???

PPPRob 17 January 2007 03:31 PM

Not easily. They're front wheel drive.

:thumb:

Scotsman 17 January 2007 07:33 PM

I had a standard 1.7 puma when they first came out - loved the car, handling was superb, steering and gear change a delight.

Richard.