ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Stuck 19mm bolt (strut upright)? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/567520-stuck-19mm-bolt-strut-upright.html)

Henrik 19 December 2006 08:13 PM

Stuck 19mm bolt (strut upright)?

I'll be fitting some eibach's sometime in the near future, but what kind of tools would I require to remove the bolts that fix the hub to the strut upright (on a my03 wrx)? I have had a look at the bolts, and I think they are 19mm. However, they seem quite rusty, so no doubt they will be right little piglets to get off. :)

I was thinking of buying a breaker bar from Halfords, but it's only rated up to 390NM? Or should I go for something like this: Breaker Bar 1000mm 3/4Sq Drive Sealey AK7312 :wonder:

I'll try to find a single hex socket to go with it, because if I use double hex, no doubt the bolt will become rounded... I'll also use liberal amounts of WD40, of course :)

Also, do I need to buy new bolts for re-attaching the strut, and does someone know what they should be torqued up to? :confused:

Unfortunately I don't have access to air tools, but I've been preparing by eating lots of pies ;)

wez wrx 19 December 2006 08:33 PM

Buy a gas torch, if there seized on heat them up for a couple of minutes and they' l come off ne bother! You' l also need some spring compressors! Both items cost less thn 30 quid.
Remember to get it 4 wheel alignmened by someone good!

555Rob555 19 December 2006 08:38 PM

They shouldn't be that hard. I have done loads of struts on old cars, and they all come in the end. A good, well fitting spanner on each end, and maybe some penetrating oil if required.

Put tour back into it man!!

Or your foot/ bodyweight if your backs too weak.;)

Henrik 19 December 2006 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 555Rob555
They shouldn't be that hard. I have done loads of struts on old cars, and they all come in the end. A good, well fitting spanner on each end, and maybe some penetrating oil if required.

Put tour back into it man!!

Or your foot/ bodyweight if your backs too weak.;)

I'm more scared of breaking the tools / rounding the bolts :)

So, presumably the breaker bar I posted above is OK then? :)

wez wrx 19 December 2006 09:18 PM

More than ok! if you think the nut may round use a hex socket rather than the bi-hex type! But as i said use a bit heat and they'l come off with a rachet neva mind a breaker!!
Its a easy job, 45mins per corner no probs. Thats shock off ,springs changed and back in!

Henrik 19 December 2006 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by wez wrx
More than ok! if you think the nut may round use a hex socket rather than the bi-hex type! But as i said use a bit heat and they'l come off with a rachet neva mind a breaker!!
Its a easy job, 45mins per corner no probs. Thats shock off ,springs changed and back in!

Cool, thanks for the info!

Off to buy a torch in the coming days, then... May come in handy if I mess the nuts up and need to torch the car as well :D

D1CCY 20 December 2006 09:57 AM

Manual says use NEW locknuts and tighten to 129 ft-lb. Almost a 2 man job as its hard to hold the camber adjusting bolt in place when tightening. Suggest setting the bolts to give max negative camber (ie top of wheel leaning in most towards the car) until you can get alignment done.

jim litten 20 December 2006 09:59 AM

Halfrauds Pro 1/2" breaker bar and use 19mm impact socket, and decent ring key on the other side is more than man enough for the job, quick snatch of the breaker bar will crack it easily.

silent running 20 December 2006 11:07 AM

I used my 2 foot long torque wrench and a normal socket the first time, but now I just use a normal shortish socket wrench and hammer it round with a 1kg club hammer. I've never used new bolts, although you're probably supposed to. Once the club hammer's done it's stuff, there's no way anything's moving.

Henrik 20 December 2006 11:07 AM

Cheers guys, scoobynet at it's best :)