ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   National Speed Limit (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/563861-national-speed-limit.html)

Scooby Snacks 23 04 December 2006 11:13 AM

National Speed Limit

If you're on a dual carriage-way with National Speed Limits signs everywhere, it's a 70mph limit, and 60mph if it's a single carriage-way?

Am I right?

STi wanna Subaru 04 December 2006 11:16 AM

Yes

Scooby Snacks 23 04 December 2006 11:19 AM

Shark Man 04 December 2006 11:43 AM

Unless your a cotten bud, in which case its 40mph everywhere, even the 30limits ;)

Sometimes I wonder if the population knows what the white circular sign with the black diagonal line actually means. ;)

Hanslow 04 December 2006 11:46 AM

My missus used to call them the "go as fast as you like" signs :D If only that was the case!

Jonno_johnson 04 December 2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Unless your a cotten bud, in which case its 40mph everywhere, even the 30limits ;)

Sometimes I wonder if the population knows what the white circular sign with the black diagonal line actually means. ;)

These are on the raise aswell, nearly everytime im out i come across someone driving like that, and if i dare to overtake them, were its safe on national speed limit roads, i get the glare of death, or in some cases a quick flash of the headlights.

hutton_d 04 December 2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hanslow
My missus used to call them the "go as fast as you like" signs :D If only that was the case!

They are 'GLF' signs ... or 'Go Like Feck' .... :D :D

Just joking for all those cotton buds out there ...

Dave

PS: you're right - LOTS of people haven't a clue what the speeds actually are. The most common ones are thinking duals are 60mph and single carriageways are 50 ..... RTFM people ...

Coffin Dodger 04 December 2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno_johnson
and if i dare to overtake them, were its safe on national speed limit roads, i get the glare of death, or in some cases a quick flash of the headlights.

The quick flash of the headlights is just complimenting your brilliant overtaking manouver. I always wave back to thank them for the compliment :D

_Meridian_ 04 December 2006 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d
PS: you're right - LOTS of people haven't a clue what the speeds actually are. The most common ones are thinking duals are 60mph and single carriageways are 50 ..... RTFM people ...

I got in a shouting match with some clown who pulled out of a side road in front of me on an NSL single-carriageway road. He took offence to my beeping and slammed on the brakes. He then swore blind that the NSL on single carriageways was 50mph. His trump-card? "I'm a driving instructor and therefore I should know"...

M

TelBoy 04 December 2006 12:46 PM

Actually, i think i'm right in saying that there used to be a difference between lit single carriageways (50mph) and unlit single carriageways (60mph). Lots of older drivers probably aren't aware that it's 60mph now whatever the lighting.

Jonno_johnson 04 December 2006 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
The quick flash of the headlights is just complimenting your brilliant overtaking manouver. I always wave back to thank them for the compliment :D

Lol, thanks for the idea, ill give it a go when it next happens.

Tripple'O G 04 December 2006 12:51 PM

I like seeing the GLF signs on country roads where it's near on impossible to go the full whack of 60.....unless you're in a subaru :lol1:
And then other road users get the right hoomp :Suspiciou

New_scooby_04 04 December 2006 12:52 PM

People are always really nice to me when I overtake them; I often get offered a cocktail- at least I think that's what the hand gesture they use means :wonder: :Suspiciou

Ns04 ;) :D

TelBoy 04 December 2006 12:52 PM

Make the most of them - give it 2 or 3 years and unrestricted country lanes will be something you tell your grandchildren about :(

Tripple'O G 04 December 2006 12:55 PM

nnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooo

Say it ain't so!! :cry:

Nick100 04 December 2006 01:08 PM

I always do the same, although depending on what mood I'm in sometimes only with one finger, though I bet a full on wave really pi55es them off :D

There is a section on the A1 near the Scottish border, which is derestricted. For about 800 yards it becomes dual carriageway with a central reservation and there's a speed camera in the middle of it.
My Origin B2 recons it's a 60 limit not 70 and I've never wanted to try getting a ticket !
I know the B2 could be wrong, but is there any reason why a short section of dual carriageway should stay at the 60 limit ?

DaveD 04 December 2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
If you're on a dual carriage-way with National Speed Limits signs everywhere, it's a 70mph limit, and 60mph if it's a single carriage-way?

Am I right?

I assume you're talking about speed limits for cars without anything in tow?
How many people know what the limits are for towing vehicles and articulated lorries?

I normally treat NSL as GLF where conditions allow.....

Sbradley 04 December 2006 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nick100
...There is a section on the A1 near the Scottish border, which is derestricted. For about 800 yards it becomes dual carriageway with a central reservation and there's a speed camera in the middle of it.
My Origin B2 recons it's a 60 limit not 70 and I've never wanted to try getting a ticket !
I know the B2 could be wrong, but is there any reason why a short section of dual carriageway should stay at the 60 limit ?

Maybe because there's a camera on it? Must be a lovely earner... Here's how it works.

Drop the speed limit on a piece of road that has no need for the limit to be dropped. Make the minimum fuss possible. Do a "survey" after the limit has changed. Lo and behold, there is clearly a problem with a significant proportion of drivers speeding! That gives you the justification for putting a camera on a trunk road - they're covered by the DTR, not by the local authority and they don't need inconvenient accident stats, just evidence of systemic speeding...

Alternatively, of course, your B2 doesn't know that bit is duel carriageway.

I'll go for the first one, though, cynical old scrote that I am...

SB

haroldhettaturbo 04 December 2006 01:23 PM

Dosent the dual carrige way have to have a barrier down the middle to make it 70, other wise its a 60???

why cant it be like southern ireland here, if its a 70 the sighn says 70 much simplier.

TelBoy 04 December 2006 01:25 PM

Have a link :)

The Highway Code

I agree that the NSL sign is out of date now - just replace with "60" or "70" as appropriate.

haroldhettaturbo 04 December 2006 01:33 PM

What really does my head in when u see a nice yellow speed camera and not a sign for miles telling you the speed limit:brickwall

Flaps 04 December 2006 01:36 PM

Me and the Mrs were talking about this a while back, there really is no point in having that sign. Stick a number on it and avoid any confusion!

speedking 04 December 2006 01:41 PM

The point is that you can raise or lower the NSL without having to change millions of signs.

hutton_d 04 December 2006 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by haroldhettaturbo
Dosent the dual carrige way have to have a barrier down the middle to make it 70, other wise its a 60???

No need for a barrier.

Dave

Chris L 04 December 2006 04:15 PM

To be classed as a dual carrigeway, there must be some form of separation (i.e a central reservation - not necessarily a crash barrier) - I think this where the misconception about needing a crash barrier for it to be a 70 limit comes from.

Nick100 04 December 2006 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Have a link :)

The Highway Code

Well that explains a lot - lorries over 7.5 tonnes have a 40 limit on derestricted single carriageways and 50 on dual carriageways.:wonder:
No wonder I'm always cursing them for driving so slowly.

Gymbal 04 December 2006 05:48 PM

Fortunately over ' ere it can mean GLF, but dont crash.....
Of course not many spots to do that.
And thay are disappearing.