ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   Boost Guage problem....... any ideas? (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/557028-boost-guage-problem-any-ideas.html)

MrBush 08 November 2006 02:55 PM

Boost Guage problem....... any ideas?

I have just fitted myself a boost gauge.

On idle i'm getting -0.5 bar and when reved it reads 0 maybe 0.5 bar...........ish!

Never fitted anything like this before but i know that them readings aint correct. :wonder:

HELP!!.................please! :freak3:

essexboy30 08 November 2006 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by MrBush
I have just fitted myself a boost gauge.

On idle i'm getting -0.5 bar and when reved it reads 0 maybe 0.5 bar...........ish!

Never fitted anything like this before but i know that them readings aint correct. :wonder:

HELP!!.................please! :freak3:

Doesn't sound that far out.....
Tick over sounds correct, mine reads around -0.6 and then the boost on reving, tends to be less than if you drive it. If standard, then you may only see around 1 bar max.

MrBush 08 November 2006 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by essexboy30
Doesn't sound that far out.....
Tick over sounds correct, mine reads around -0.6 and then the boost on reving, tends to be less than if you drive it. If standard, then you may only see around 1 bar max.

Haven't actually driven it yet just gave it a rev on me drive, but i just thought the readings didn't look right. :freak3:

Its a 2003 wrx if that makes any difference? :wonder:

ScuuBdoo 08 November 2006 03:08 PM

those reads are spot on if its sitting idle.

MrBush 08 November 2006 03:11 PM

Meet MrBush.......................

He's the stupid bloke from the ESC! :freak3:

:iamwithst :iamwithst :iamwithst :iamwithst :iamwithst :iamwithst :iamwithst

Its looking like the readings are correct then! :cuckoo:

ScuuBdoo 08 November 2006 03:21 PM

now go drive the car and see if the gauge goes up to positive boost.

bibo_boy 08 November 2006 03:29 PM

As you may have read, I did the very same thing a while ago..... As mentioned you will only see large boost when driving as I guess the turbo will not spin?

I get around plus 1 bar on full boost (it's bars I think? the gauge only goes to 2?)

My big issue was wiring the illumination :(

BUT....

Fixed it last weekend and found out............ my multi meter was sh@gged!!!!

Well thanks to Cornelius for lending me his and Tomski for all the advise and offer to help....

ESC to the rescue :)

MrBush 08 November 2006 05:49 PM

The fitting of the gauge wasn't an issue it was the readings i was getting. :wonder:

Never having owned a turbo car before i was just a little baffled by the readings.............. :freak3:

Never mind it shows that if your not to sure ask and the answer will eventually come to you!

I would go and take it out for a test but at the mo the traffic round my way is shocking!

Thanks any way people! :thumb:

Tiny 08 November 2006 05:58 PM

LOL This brings back a few memories ...

A Boost gauge was one of my first mods when my car was standard back in 2001 , I Remember taking it back to the garage after i had been booting it & the gauge only just read 0.9 Bar & would not go any further despite how hard i tried !!

I Wanted to see it going of the end of the dial when i was giving it some !! lol

But i know a little different now ;)

Tiny ...

MrBush 08 November 2006 07:26 PM

So do i!............................... Now! :thumb:

Cornelius 08 November 2006 10:09 PM

the car won't boost up on idle, there's a switch on the gearbox and clutch that tells the ECU when the car is in gear or not, so not to damage the engine