ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   It's gone BANG !!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/531205-its-gone-bang.html)

paulbstiv3 21 July 2006 11:01 AM

It's gone BANG !!!

Fooked ! thats the only way to describe it !!! last nite my sti v3 developed a knock - sounds like sum1's hittin my sump with a hammer! :cry: has any1 got any advice where to pick up engines/short blocks etc

Also seen this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STi-2-5-Short-...QQcmdZViewItem

Would this bolt up to my heads etc?R they just a straight forward swap? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

rossi_classicwrx 21 July 2006 11:19 AM

Yeah all the parts off your engine would bolt straight onto that engine. I was going to go down that route but the only thing i didn't like about the engine you've found there is it has cast pistons in it. If i was upgrading engines i would want full forged internals.

Moley 21 July 2006 11:23 AM

Note the extra £200 p+p

Can pick them up from flat-4-online for around £1200 (i think)

Those internals should be ok up to around 1.3 bar

The Chief 21 July 2006 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Drboobfondler
ooooooooh ! thats gonna cost you !!! :lol:

Feckin nice one!!!! kick a man while he's down wont you:mad:

Moley 21 July 2006 11:34 AM

another Chav chariot gone pop !! :luxhello:

And what car do you drive then?

The Chief 21 July 2006 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
And what car do you drive then?

he probably drives a Saxo - or worse a Nova:lol1:

misty 21 July 2006 11:37 AM

Hmmm!! Sounds like you didn't fill the oil filter up prior to fitting it....
dave

Moley 21 July 2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Chief
he probably drives a Saxo - or worse a Nova:lol1:

More than likely. Only idiots like that think the word 'chav' is still cool.

That is soooo last year :hjtwofing :D

The Chief 21 July 2006 11:38 AM

Notice your from the Chav and cruise capital of Europe!!! Sarf-end

The Chief 21 July 2006 11:38 AM

No offence to any Scoob owners from Sarfend btw:)

EddScott 21 July 2006 11:39 AM

Another troll wasting everybodies time :luxhello:

GC8 21 July 2006 11:41 AM

He's just a bell-end; ignore him.

The Chief 21 July 2006 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by EddScott
Another troll wasting everybodies time :luxhello:

Totally agree - i dont know why i let these geeky bell-ends get to me!!!

anyway back on topic - the price for a shortblock seems good but from flat4online they look as if they are STI and which hopefully come with forged pistons and crank.

mine went pop a while back and i had a STI short block fitted. for a little bit extra it might seem worth getting an STI block.

i'm sure some of the experts will give a more thorough answer later:)

GC8 21 July 2006 11:55 AM

It bothers you because you know that its some spineless no-mark who darent post under his own name.

Shaun needs to buck his ideas up before ScoobyNet goes down the ****ter.

paulbstiv3 21 July 2006 12:00 PM

Just had a look on flat 4 online - does anybody know whats involved in modifying the water pipe? Did you just put a standard sti block back in and where did u get it from?
Cheers

The Chief 21 July 2006 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
It bothers you because you know that its some spineless no-mark who darent post under his own name.

Shaun needs to buck his ideas up before ScoobyNet goes down the ****ter.

I must admit its a bit sad when new member comes on here asking for a bit of helpful advice, and gets attacked or ripped into - i have had loads of useful info on her that has helped me and Scoobynet has been a valuable re-source over the last year or so. its getting a regular occurence now when members ask questions and get sh*t thrown at them

I wouldnt go as far as you to say its Shauns fault, but i would imagine he must tear his hair out sometimes and be fed up with it all.

Best just to ignore these people - especially me:)

The Chief 21 July 2006 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by paulbstiv3
Just had a look on flat 4 online - does anybody know whats involved in modifying the water pipe? Did you just put a standard sti block back in and where did u get it from?
Cheers

I had the standard UK turbo block - it went bang and a good friend of mine managed to source and STI block which is stronger and can take a bit more.

i'd say ring Flat4 - i've heard good things about them - sorry i cant help you more but technically i'm a f**kwit i can only go off what i've experienced.

Another helpful guy is david at API.

GC8 21 July 2006 12:30 PM

It sint Shauns fault, in that he doesnt actively encourage it. The problem is that he doesnt deal with it. Many other sites would have nipped this problem in the bud; it isnt difficult; especially when you have access to the fools IPs. Trolling here by existing users is at an all-time high and thats easily dealt with.

Simon

Drboobfondler 21 July 2006 01:11 PM

its gone pop !

Bat-Fink 21 July 2006 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
It sint Shauns fault, in that he doesnt actively encourage it. The problem is that he doesnt deal with it. Many other sites would have nipped this problem in the bud; it isnt difficult; especially when you have access to the fools IPs. Trolling here by existing users is at an all-time high and thats easily dealt with.

Simon

100% agree mate.

The Chief 21 July 2006 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon

Valid point!

jaytc2003 21 July 2006 01:27 PM

whilst its easy banning existing users, its a lot harder banning ip addresses as most people do not have static ip's. However by banning existing users they will just create a new username and so it goes on and on.......

Jay m A 21 July 2006 01:30 PM

Back to the point, theres a STIv7 short engine in the For sale section for £500 - thats the cheapest route

GC8 21 July 2006 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
whilst its easy banning existing users, its a lot harder banning ip addresses as most people do not have static ip's. However by banning existing users they will just create a new username and so it goes on and on.......

You neednt ban the IP address. It isnt difficult to identify who the troll is. When you have done that you delete the account and warn the 'real' user to desist. If they continue then you email abuse@theirISP. If they continue their ISP will pull the plug. They will stop; problem solved.

Simon

Baggers 21 July 2006 01:40 PM

Consider insurance before you go 2.5, it may be a big issue. At that price the std sti short engine looks good.

jaytc2003 21 July 2006 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
You neednt ban the IP address. It isnt difficult to identify who the troll is. When you have done that you delete the account and warn the 'real' user to desist. If they continue then you email abuse@theirISP. If they continue their ISP will pull the plug. They will stop; problem solved.

Simon

to many variables but thats another topic :)

Paulbstiv3

Flat four do the short 2.5 engine for I think for around about £1200 ish, I have bought things from there in the past and svs has been good.
The thing is though if you go that route then you will need to spend on other things like a mappable ecu etc so costs soon add up. Best bet is a 2nd hand short motor then personally I would split it and do the bearings etc before reassembling it. This will be the cheapest option.

Sorry to hear its has gone btw

911 21 July 2006 05:01 PM

As a fellow Sti v3 owner sorry to read about the failure.
Nobody has really answered over the years the 'hit' on the insurance for the 2.5, but many are running 2.5's now so maybe not too bad.
Fitting the 2.5 short block is a bit of a meccano job, search for Dyney's thread in projects section (goes back about 18 months or more) he did a great thread on a DIY 2.5 conversion.

Personally I would look hard at the £500 engine, but that is cheap for a good engine!
David at www.apiengines.com is a real mountain of experience, and you should call him first.

Finally, to the 'chav/Geek/Pratt etc' influence on Snet I totally agree that such fools should be severed from participating. Shaun has a tough job on to do that though.

Good luck with your choice.

Graham

Carl2 21 July 2006 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon

Or, you can just go into your UserCP and add them to your ignore list:thumb:

paulbstiv3 21 July 2006 06:10 PM

weres the best place to take it to get sorted newcastle area?

Jay m A 21 July 2006 10:55 PM

Alyn at AS Performance would be top of my list