ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   VXR Vs Typre R Vs ST (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/526857-vxr-vs-typre-r-vs-st.html)

cookstar 01 July 2006 09:03 PM

VXR Vs Typre R Vs ST

Going back to a hot hatch again, and these are the three which I like,

Have owned a Type R before, can get 15% off the VXR and have no expirience with the ST, Fords didnt even have one to look at yesterday :cuckoo:

Will be coming from a bug WRX

Any views on which would be best, and any background on ANY of the three would be great

Cookie :thumb:

alloy 01 July 2006 09:25 PM

be different get one of these little monsters :notworthy
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/09032006/45...istic-117.html

KiwiGTI 01 July 2006 09:57 PM

I still think the Type R is hard to beat. Ford and Vauxhall may be newer but for performance and handling ther CTR would have the edge. Buy second hand (up to a year old) and you will lose very little

NWMark 01 July 2006 10:14 PM

still 3 - 4 month wait on any ordered focus ST you might get lucky if you ring around a few dealers and find a cancelled order, so if you need one quick that will be your best bet. but dont expect much if any discount.

VXR faster has the performance edge but is not meant to be as good as an all round car.

No experience of Type R here, as i like my turbo cars too much.

Mark

cookstar 01 July 2006 10:21 PM

I am swaying toward the VXR, I do like the looks of them

AudiLover 01 July 2006 11:32 PM

you do know the new type r is going on sale in a couple months.

Roojai 01 July 2006 11:51 PM

what about integra?

StudentScooby 01 July 2006 11:52 PM

VXR is quite heavy ay 1705kgs

KiwiGTI 01 July 2006 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by AudiLover
you do know the new type r is going on sale in a couple months.

Jan 07 apparently and you can put deposits down at Honda dealers now.

TonyBurns 02 July 2006 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by StudentScooby

Knock about 300kg off that ;)

Tony:D

cookstar 02 July 2006 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI

If it loks anything like the other new Civics about then no thanks, they are horrid

dave ctr 02 July 2006 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by StudentScooby

stock ctr ways in at just 1204 without driver ive had one for about 3 months now and still haveing fun

it even makes going to work a joy

go for the ctr just for looks and handling not to keen on the sts orange look

the vauxhall m dunno the last one was prone to nacking valve stem oil seals so what stops the new one from doing that
atleast with the honda people know they are reliable

The Chief 02 July 2006 03:14 PM

Although i like the CTR i think its a poor relation to the DC5 Integra type R
216bhp and 1170kg - get some nice graphics and a racing dynamic wheels - a nice touring car replica:)

jonc 02 July 2006 03:29 PM

If you are looking at that class of hatchbacks, don't discount the Megane 225 Trophy!

cookstar 02 July 2006 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jonc
If you are looking at that class of hatchbacks, don't discount the Megane 225 Trophy!

Not keen of the styling of the Megane, checked out Hondas website last night and the new Type R looks fantastic. :)

VXRBOY 03 July 2006 08:14 AM

Get the VXR:) . I went from a ITR to bugeye,to blobeye to the VXR and teh VXR i have found to be the best. Quickest on autocar's 0-100-0, both 5th gear and top gear and the ring. (i think the meganne may have been 0.5 secs quicker on top gear.)
The car is very good indeed, well sorted chassis, excellent handling and superb acceleration.

cookstar 03 July 2006 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by VXRBOY
Get the VXR:) . I went from a ITR to bugeye,to blobeye to the VXR and teh VXR i have found to be the best. Quickest on autocar's 0-100-0, both 5th gear and top gear and the ring. (i think the meganne may have been 0.5 secs quicker on top gear.)
The car is very good indeed, well sorted chassis, excellent handling and superb acceleration.

Thanks for that, do you find it a problem getting the power down though, when the roads are a bit damp/wet?

VXRBOY 03 July 2006 08:42 AM

Yeh its not as sure footed in the wet as a scooby, but you can acheive oversteer understeer by using the gas correctly, it takes a little time but it is great handling, more fun to drive in my opinion.

Reffro 03 July 2006 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI

March 2007 according to Honda's press release on Friday.

cookstar 03 July 2006 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Reffro
March 2007 according to Honda's press release on Friday.

ready for 07 reg :)

bugger :(

Duck_Pond 03 July 2006 09:47 AM

Could you afford to stretch to a Golf GTi? They're supposed to be very good. Or maybe a vRS Octavia, though that may be a tad large, I guess...

SideShowBob 03 July 2006 10:39 AM

VXR is excellent, I tried the ST and VXR, and went for the VXR as its a proper hot hatch, its not trying to be all things to all people (althou the ST was an excellent car).

Couldnt stand another VTEC car, VXR has 237BHP and 236 lb/ft torque, a well balanced engine, and it makes the car great fun to drive, you have a good surge of acceleration, as opposed to that waitng for things to happen in a small VTEC band.

As someone who has had 4 VTEC cars, including an ITR and S2000, id say dont look at the Honda, get one of the others, the games moved on.

Getting the power down with the VXR take good balance of the throttle, but in Sport mode its very sensitive, and easy to balance the car nicely on the throttle.
My only complaint is that it really requires one of the £500 remaps to smooth the power out (gives it 260 odd BHP to boot), its a bit surgy as standard, so ill get around to doing that.

Otherwise, build quality, looks, and performance all seem good, not Golf or Audi level, but then neither is the price, for the money its a hell of a lot of hot hatch.

richie001 03 July 2006 10:55 AM

i'm surprised only one person has mention the golf :confused:

VXRBOY 03 July 2006 11:13 AM

I have heard a few comments about the golf being slow and boring to drive, and over priced ifyou look at all of the other cars.

SideShowBob 03 July 2006 11:14 AM

The Golf is very nice, I thought about one, but having had a VAG car (Audi A3), I felt the driving experience was a little lacking.

Very capable cars, but doesnt have the excitement of some of the other hatches, it offsets that by being the more grown up car of the bunch. Depends what you want really.

Perfect if you want that extra bit of luxury and refinement, but not quite the more raw hot hatch that the VXR is.

cookstar 03 July 2006 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
VXR is excellent, I tried the ST and VXR, and went for the VXR as its a proper hot hatch, its not trying to be all things to all people (althou the ST was an excellent car).

Couldnt stand another VTEC car, VXR has 237BHP and 236 lb/ft torque, a well balanced engine, and it makes the car great fun to drive, you have a good surge of acceleration, as opposed to that waitng for things to happen in a small VTEC band.

As someone who has had 4 VTEC cars, including an ITR and S2000, id say dont look at the Honda, get one of the others, the games moved on.

Getting the power down with the VXR take good balance of the throttle, but in Sport mode its very sensitive, and easy to balance the car nicely on the throttle.
My only complaint is that it really requires one of the £500 remaps to smooth the power out (gives it 260 odd BHP to boot), its a bit surgy as standard, so ill get around to doing that.

Otherwise, build quality, looks, and performance all seem good, not Golf or Audi level, but then neither is the price, for the money its a hell of a lot of hot hatch.

Thats the second excellent review for the Astra, albeit from two owners ;)

With the large discount available to me on the Vauxhall and the rather long waiting list, its looking likely the Astra is coming out on top, just trying to find a garage that has a demo :mad:

The Chief 03 July 2006 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar
Thats the second excellent review for the Astra, albeit from two owners ;)

With the large discount available to me on the Vauxhall and the rather long waiting list, its looking likely the Astra is coming out on top, just trying to find a garage that has a demo :mad:

Autocar raved about it this week - it destroyed the Focus ST.

come on fella - what sort of discount????:)

SideShowBob 03 July 2006 11:39 AM

True, but we only became owners because we thought the VXR was that good :)

A lot of garages should have demos, what I found with the one I demo'd was that they used 95 ron petrol in it all the time (real muppet saleman was using it as his every day car), and it does make a massive difference with regards performance.

When I picked mine up, they had kindly given me half a tank of 95 in that too, and after using optimax for a few tanks, performance was noticeably smoother and better, just somethign to keep in mind whe trying a demo.

cookstar 03 July 2006 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Chief
Autocar raved about it this week - it destroyed the Focus ST.

come on fella - what sort of discount????:)

16%:luxhello:

What is the list price for these?

The Chief 03 July 2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
16%:luxhello:

What is the list price for these?

£18995

Git:D