ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   i want the pops and bangs (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/518774-i-want-the-pops-and-bangs.html)

powerwrx 28 May 2006 12:17 PM

i want the pops and bangs

how can i get my exhaust to pop and bang like they do on the rally cars, i think it sounds awsome

SPEN555 28 May 2006 12:31 PM

Get an ECU with anti-lag e.g. GEMS :D

James S 28 May 2006 12:42 PM

Or Autronics ECU :)

doug2507 28 May 2006 01:33 PM

And a spare turbo on standby.....

rob4620 28 May 2006 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by doug2507
And a spare turbo on standby.....

Is anti lag as bad for turbo's as everyone makes out?

jaytc2003 28 May 2006 02:56 PM

yes, your basically causing an explosion in the turbo to keep it spinning

jaytc2003 28 May 2006 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by powerwrx
how can i get my exhaust to pop and bang like they do on the rally cars, i think it sounds awsome

get a power fc :)

doug2507 28 May 2006 03:33 PM

Power FC does not have anti-lag. If it does pop and bang with a PFC then i'd take it back to your mapper because it will probably be running too rich.

Unless you are using your car for competition then anti-lag is not needed and just a wasted expense. There is quite an in-depth article on here somewhere i think explaining anti-lag.

Welloilbeefhooked 28 May 2006 04:19 PM

Doug,

The PFC can still provide pops and bangs depending on how the fueling is set in the first couple of rows. Not a mapping problem. There are a few threads on how to do this. Expensive tho, just for pops and bangs.

Mo 28 May 2006 07:19 PM

Most ECUs including the OEM can provide the pops and bangs if set-up accordingly but not such a good idea if you're running a cat.

doug2507 28 May 2006 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Doug,

The PFC can still provide pops and bangs depending on how the fueling is set in the first couple of rows. Not a mapping problem. There are a few threads on how to do this. Expensive tho, just for pops and bangs.

Is fueling not part of the process of mapping? I thought that the 'pop's and bangs' were achieved by excessive (un-needed)fueling? (unburnt fuel/running rich).:wonder:

Scott.T 28 May 2006 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Doug,

Agree,

Set Fuel Cut Off to 3,200rpm then set Row 1 of IGN to '0' for rpm's 1600, 2000 and 2400. Nice subtle pops and bangs with the occasional big granny scaring one, on over-run.

If you want them louder, turn off close loop and up the fuelling for the same cells of the INJ map. Or set them further up the Rpm scale.

rossyboy 28 May 2006 07:59 PM

De-cat downpipe and a VTA will do it surely?......bit cheaper that a new ECU me thinks.

jaytc2003 28 May 2006 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by doug2507
Power FC does not have anti-lag. If it does pop and bang with a PFC then i'd take it back to your mapper because it will probably be running too rich.

Your right it doesnt have anti lag, but it can be set up toi give the desired effect. Like Scott T says, set ign rows 1 + 2 to 0 and increase the fuelling depending on how loud a pop and bang you want :norty:

bbdp 29 May 2006 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rossyboy
De-cat downpipe and a VTA will do it surely?......bit cheaper that a new ECU me thinks.

Spot on fella!

All i've had done is a full decat H & S and i get lots of lovely pops and bangs! :norty:

5cby 29 May 2006 11:17 AM

mines got full decat and a vta dump valve but it dont pop or bang
so what does this mean
it does run a scoobyecu mapped for 16psi

steve

Originally Posted by bbdp
Spot on fella!

All i've had done is a full decat H & S and i get lots of lovely pops and bangs! :norty:

jaytc2003 29 May 2006 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 5cby
mines got full decat and a vta dump valve but it dont pop or bang
so what does this mean
it does run a scoobyecu mapped for 16psi

steve

ScottT can probably answer this better, but I would imagine that the fuelling for your scoobyecu is more suited for your car with the mods that it has, so that it isn't overfuelling as much as a standard oem ecu. Dont get worried about that statement as richer doesnt mean better.

5cby 29 May 2006 05:00 PM

oh believe me im not worried as i know to get pops and bangs you need unburnt fuel to go through the exhaust thus reducing power
so it could mean my scoobyecu is mapped correctly
so if i had a fmic,bigger injectors it would need remapping or not or does it cater for it already?
not bothered as my scoobyecu will be for ale soon so i can fund a PFC

steve

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
ScottT can probably answer this better, but I would imagine that the fuelling for your scoobyecu is more suited for your car with the mods that it has, so that it isn't overfuelling as much as a standard oem ecu. Dont get worried about that statement as richer doesnt mean better.

pimpstr 29 May 2006 07:46 PM

im a little worried now

all mine has is a wrs sport backbox and a atmospheric dump valve and when i change hear it bangs is my car goin to feck up cos i dont need this i will sell it for a ford.......................

scoobygez 29 May 2006 07:54 PM

nope your just overfueling like me!!! not brilliant but sounds good!!! re map will sort this.

jaytc2003 29 May 2006 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by pimpstr
all mine has is a wrs sport backbox and a atmospheric dump valve and when i change hear it bangs is my car goin to feck up cos i dont need this i will sell it for a ford.......................

dont worry, if it is a standard ecu then it is set up to run rich safely (can cope with minor mods without any remap being needed) You can have cars that run overly rich which can cause problems like bore wash but the subarus standard ecus are not set up this way its just a little safety margin