ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   cam locking tool (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/503958-cam-locking-tool.html)

markl2474 30 March 2006 09:36 PM

cam locking tool

does any body no wer i can get a cam locking tool as tried fitting new belt but carnt get the pullys to stay at their timing marks

360ste 30 March 2006 09:39 PM

Had my cambelt changed by Subaru, when speaking to the service manager he said Subaru only did one for the right hand cam sprockets and that he had ordered a universal tool to do the left hand side. I know that Seally tools do a number of cam locking tools could be worth a look. Best of luck Steve

markl2474 30 March 2006 09:44 PM

seen the sealy universal tool but its over a hundred quid carnt find any proper tool for the job

Jolly Green Monster 30 March 2006 11:15 PM

you don't need to hold the cam wheels..

from memory do the bottom right idler wheel as the last thing.. you can hold all the cam wheels with the belt then..

The right ones when looking at the engine are the only ones "on cam" and therefore move is not help.. the left side sit still.

Simon

RON 31 March 2006 12:36 PM

As simon says.,..... also worthy of note is the fact that apparently the pistons are halfway down the bore when all the timing marks line up, so there's no fear of bending valves etc!!

mattjbvfr 31 March 2006 01:05 PM

According to the service documentation I've read inlet and exhaust valves can mechanically interfere with each other resulting in bent valves if the respective sprockets are rotated independently (i.e. when the belt is not fitted).

P20SPD 31 March 2006 01:21 PM

you can bend valves on the right hand side (as looking at the engine) if the inlet and exhaust cams get turned the wrong way.

Set the inlet cam for 2 and 4 by turning clockwise, and set the exhaust cam for 2 and 4 by turning anticlockwise. These will then be on cam.

Set the inlet and exhaust cams for 1 and 3 in any way (least resistance)

Put all pulleys in place except for the one bottom left of the crank.

Start belt at crank, then line up at inlet of 2 and 4, then exhaust of 2 and 4, then exhaust of 1 and 3, then inlet of 1 and 3.

Then pushing the belt upwards, install the idler that sits bottom left of the crank.

jaytc2003 31 March 2006 01:44 PM

may seem like a daft question this, but can you not put your own marks on the pulleys and the block before you remove the belt and then you can make sure they are lined up to these marks before you put the new belt on? or do the cams jump without the belt?

P20SPD 31 March 2006 01:46 PM

Cams can jump without the belt

[Davey] 31 March 2006 02:00 PM

I did the belt on the WRX last week, it took just over 1 hour, no pulley locking tool required.

You dont need the cam locking tool if you fit the belt in a manor that puts the opposite tension on the cam pulleys. Its a bit fiddly but it can be done with ease.